Author Topic: Anyone remember the late 60's at Goosepond, Nyona, S.Mud, and Fletchers  (Read 1153 times)

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Those where the best of times for me as an icefisherman. We were all friendly and willingly gave out tips, advice, and where they was bitting at. We were not closed-mouthed, we were all like family. I can remember fishing all mourn at Goosepond and at noon heading up to Sportsmans Tavern for dinner at noon. We'd all set around and talk about the mournings catch. I was in my early teens and thought that was cool, to eat in a tavern.

Then gramps and me would head back out with a full belly for more fun. When evening hit if the Crappies where not bitting we'd take off and drive by Nyona, S.mud, or Flectchers looking for laterns. First lake we seen with lights we'd stop. I don't know who it was but I can remember at Fletchers we'd all set in a circle and after a while of nothing some guy would get up and stomp all around the fishing circle and from memory some of us would get a crappie or two.  Don't know if the stomping had anything to do with it but I always felt it stirred the fish up.

The good ole days, they're sure different than the days of today. Back then we caught allot of fish the ole fashion way, pole line and bait with no electronics. And we weren't afraid to tell anyone.

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
yup, thanks to internet,  those days are gone now.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline icingonspice

• IceShanty Rookie
Too bad people were clueless about catch and release back then........just saying.

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Maybe 7 or 8 years old. Frist ice fishing trips I can remember was on South Mud with Dad/brother and uncle. The best lesson I've every been taught. We arrived at the lake at dark, didn't have a lantern. Dad had an old miners light that burned. Didn't put out much light. We started across lake and dad quickly stops, tells us to turn around and head back to shore. When we got back dad said he could tell we were on bad ice. He had what I guess we call a spud bar now days to open holes up, not an auger. He chops a piece and shows us just what we were on. He fished mud the night before with no concerns but conditions had changed. I remember him saying never take chances on the ice. Sometimes life lessons are the best memories.

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Too bad people were clueless about catch and release back then........just saying.
Whatever.  If people would just take what they need for a couple of meals instead of being greedy, catch and release wouldn't even be mentioned.  Too bad you weren't there to enjoy what we had then.  So don't blame us old timers for what is happening today.  You're probably the type that couldn't catch dinks if you didn't have a Marcum or Vex. 

Offline bigr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
What are you saying? The fishing is way better now than ever before due to tech. If a lake isn't just as good it's not because of lack of catch and release. My opinion.

Offline Cool Cat

• Team IceShanty Regular
Amen BigR

Offline musky8it

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Just taking a guess here but I'm inclined to think you might not have been born yet, if so then you really don't know if people over kept. Back then you caught fish with your "WITS", there was no electronics. Without electronics people of the 90's and 2000's would be lost and go home with allot less fish. We didn't have a warm shanty either, we set out in the bitter cold.

Back in the 60s, more people feed their families from nature. U ever watch the "The Andy Griffith Show". Seems they always had a stringer of fish to take home to eat. Yes Andy was just a show but it was a show about real life, respect, and moral values. Some of which you don't see a lot of now days.

A big stringer compared to a buckle full of gills is a different story, don't remember people keeping a buckle full back then. People had more sense back then and they was more friendly. Maybe that's why some have stopped posting in here.

Edited: the last 2 seasons the ice hasn't been that great around here. So for those who enjoy their PC, try the PC Icefishing game Pro Pilkki 2. Its tons of fun and it eases the frustration of poor ice years. Here's a Iceshanty forum for Pro Pilkki 2 if you want to try it.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?board=169.0

FRANK SINATRA, The Hangover Survival Guide

"I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day."

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
That game is pretty neat !

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I fished Fletchers in early 80’s my Aunts parents lived in an A frame on the lake. Caught fish but was too young to remember how many and size. Lol
Fish on!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.