Author Topic: Fishing from Sled inside Hub-Style Shack  (Read 3110 times)

Offline Ruddbow

• IceShanty Rookie
Fishing from Sled inside Hub-Style Shack
« on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:17 AM »
I do most my fishing being very mobile and not inside a shelter. When temps are crazy and I need a shelter I'd like to be able to use my sled set up inside a shelter. I just got rid of the Eskimo QF2 as my Jet Sled XL (31" x 66") was to confining for just one guy let alone two. I actually thought of just using a wind break like I have seen others use as well (let's see them if you have them) What "hub-style" shelters have others used and would recommend?  I do not want a massive hub, just one big enough to fit my sled, room for some gear and of course not weigh a ton. Thank you in advance for your input.

Offline deerefishyfishy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Fishing from Sled inside Hub-Style Shack
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2019, 10:26 AM »
I just got an Eskimo Fatfish 949i and love it. It has enough room the keep your Jet Sled inside with you and still have room to sit and fish a few holes. It weighs about 47 pounds and can be carried like a backpack
The hardest part of ice fishing is casting!

Early to bed, early to rise
fish all day and make up lies!

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2019, 11:53 AM »
seems like a flip over shelter is what you need.

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:00 PM »
Yup, sounds like Eskimo Evo 2 would be in order. Had one, ticked all the boxes.Sold mine due to severe arthritis limiting the ability to secure the screws to the ice.

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2019, 08:43 PM »
I like Shappell’s WideHouse series of hubs. I own a 5500 and would recommend whichever WideHouse fit your size requirements.

http://shappell.com/iceshelters/widehouseserieshubs.html

It does sound like a flip over would benefit you better though. Especially considering your first sentence was “I do most of my fishing being very mobile”. First and foremost, hubs are not mobile. They are transportable. They are extremely cumbersome to move around on the ice unless there’s no snow and ZERO wind. In windy conditions, hubs must be securely anchored (even just one facing the wind is enough to keep it down). If not, they are very likely to become huge tumble weeds and boy can those suckers sail across the ice. However, hubs are an absolutely fantastic modern alternative to old school suit-case style shelters if you want to hunker down on a spot or have a base camp for gear, heat, food, etc. They are also nice for night fishing. Nice and roomy for gear and a buddy or two.

A flip over is built for mobility. Procedure 1) Drag out your sled, drill a hole, sit down, flip over. Want to move? Procedure 2) Lift the front, stand up, move to new location, start over with procedure 1. That covers flip overs and it’s really about that quick. It’s like an instant shelter. You could even still use your seat/storage setup. Just find a flip-over that’s the same width. It shouldn’t be any heavier than dragging out your current setup with a 20-30 pound hub in it.

Having said that. I also don’t use a shelter very often. I appreciate the convenience of being able to separate your shelter from your sled. Reduced weight, easier pulling, easier transportation to and from lake, easier storage. With a hub that’s easy, just don’t pack it and you can store it virtually anywhere. Now, just like setup and mobility can be cumbersome with a hub, storage and transportation can pose predicaments of its own with flip-overs. I’d like to get a flip-over but I live in an apartment. I just don’t have the space to store it in the off season without spending $30 a month on public storage. My closets aren’t big enough to accommodate a flip-over without disassembling the canopy every ice season. With my current set up (Jet Sled 1) I can just set it up on end and everything I use fits inside of the sled so it stores real nice in a closet.

If a flip-over doesn’t pose any issues for you, I’d highly suggest going that route. I believe you’d get much more out of a flip over than a hub. If not, the WideHouse series hubs are nice.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline metalbender

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:13 AM »
I'll retract my opinion on the Evo. It's not nearly as mobile as a flip.

Offline Bucket Rump

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2019, 12:26 PM »
Eskimo QuickFish3i sounds like it would fit your requirements - not too big, but roomy enough.

Offline riprau

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 28, 2019, 06:02 AM »
X2 on the Eskimo QF3i.  Perfect size for two and still room for some gear inside.

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Mar 01, 2019, 12:12 PM »
I do most my fishing being very mobile and not inside a shelter. When temps are crazy and I need a shelter I'd like to be able to use my sled set up inside a shelter. I just got rid of the Eskimo QF2 as my Jet Sled XL (31" x 66") was to confining for just one guy let alone two. I actually thought of just using a wind break like I have seen others use as well (let's see them if you have them) What "hub-style" shelters have others used and would recommend?  I do not want a massive hub, just one big enough to fit my sled, room for some gear and of course not weigh a ton. Thank you in advance for your input.

What storage crate with seat is this?  Looks like a good fit with the jet sled.

Offline Ruddbow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Mar 01, 2019, 06:57 PM »
The totes are plano, same as what Frabill uses on their seat/tote combo. Caught them at Menards for $12 each, the stadium seats I had from kids activities. Height is perfect.
Plano® Sportsman's 24" Black Storage Trunk

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2019, 04:02 AM »
seems like a flip over shelter is what you need.

Here's my Shappell FX50 windbreak. I moved the bench seat to the back to use as a shelf for heater, supplies etc. I bought one of those 3-legged folding chairs and put it inside the tub to sit on. My feet are still on the ice but it's no big deal...pair of wool socks and quality boots...but it sure makes a difference just keeping the wind off of me and makes for a quick and easy move.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline SnowPlane22

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 06, 2019, 03:04 PM »
After going full bore back into ice fishing this year, with an Otter Pro X Over Lodge, I'd like the sled to be bigger, and my buddy got a Otter Resort Hub and I like having enough room to have a party inside there. And the Otter flip over bench is a little un-comfy to nap on.

For next year I'll be building on the biggest sled I can get my hands on, complete with reclining boat captain chairs, and plan to fish it inside of the biggest hub pop up that i can get. 

It's going to be very awesome and a write up and pictures will be posted here during construction in the summer!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.