Author Topic: Warm Boot Suggestions  (Read 10337 times)

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
Re: Warm Boot Suggestions
« Reply #60 on: Dec 29, 2016, 08:49 PM »
My DRC threes came in the mail today also.  I don't know what they are, but man are they nice!

Offline eyeball15

• Team IceShanty Regular
Klim snowmobile boots!!!!!
« Reply #61 on: Jan 01, 2017, 08:20 PM »
Have a question? Has any one wore klim snowmobile boots on the ice ?? Just bought pair for riding the snowmobile. They are very warm. I don't think they would be too comfortable for long walks on the ice. However if you rode  snowmobile to fishing spot and had limited walking I feel they would keep you nice in warm.. Just want to know if any one has wore them in the ice??

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Jan 01, 2017, 10:33 PM »
TA IIIs came in the post today. I've been away from pac-style boots for a while but I'm not gettin' any younger and my tootsies get a little cool these days. Don't spend much shack time so I'm standin' on the ice outside. Figure it's time to make an investment in my comfort.

First impressions:

Big boots, taller than I'm used to and look heavy but not particularly. Hey, now I am 6 foot.... ::)

Typical Chinese stuff, we'll see.

I like that the liner comes out to dry even though the construction includes "Dry-Plus" which has worked well for me in other Cablelas products.

The lace arrangement is different but seems easier up front. We'll see...

So, I'll have to give 'em a work out this season and form my own opinion. Got a smokin' deal, $150 + tax/S/H so the whole works out the door for < $170. I thought that was a pretty good deal.

Some of the comments here steered me but I'll never blame anyone but myself if they don't meet expectations.
You will like them. They will keep your feet warm and are not heavy compared to other winter boots. The distance from bottom of foot to ice is what sets them apart. That's a big part to keeping your feet warm.

Offline anthonyjj

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When in doubt, exaggerate!
« Reply #63 on: Jan 04, 2017, 11:03 AM »
I have been a Mickey boot wearer for the last 8 years, and although they have served me well, my feet get cold on sub-20 degree days after a few hours. This might be because I am getting older, but I have tried numerous sock combinations and the fact that the Mickeys are quite heavy, I have started looking at new boots.

I have been Amazon spying on a pair of black Baffin Impact boots waiting for the price to drop for my size. I missed the good price back in early November, but was finally able to order them last Friday. They arrived yesterday, and here are my first impressions:

*  Build quality: very good, triple stitching, removable liner and removable sole liners too
*  Materials: very good; appear just as tough as my Mickeys
*  Laces: none, uses buckles. I really like this since who wants to retie laces with gloves on or when its cold out.
*  Outer sole: looks to be decent traction on regular ground, but no boot sole matters on smooth ice. always gonna put on Katoolah's micro spikes
*  Size: They are big; like wearing Herman Munster shoes. But much lighter than Mickeys (but what boots aren't?)
*  Fit: previous owners are spot on; get a size larger than your normal foot size. I wear an 11, and got a 12. Allows room for a thicker sock.
*  Performance: did a quick test outside, and they are very very warm. probably won't need a wool sock, but just a liner sock. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get on the ice for another 3 weeks.

Overall: I am very very impressed. Previous owners on this forum were not exaggerating about the Baffin Impacts. Those Canadians make a damn good boot.  :)

Mickeys will get retired to the closet for friends to use if needed.

Offline RIMainuh

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold nuf for ya?
« Reply #64 on: Jan 04, 2017, 02:02 PM »
I've spent alot of time on Cold Ice up in Maine and am a big LL Bean Boot fan....HOWEVER... Nothing goes on my feet for outdoor winter cold weather except my Baffin Hunters. They are 16 years old and keep my feet PLENTY warm. These boots and an extra pair of liners cost about $100 these days but it is so worth the investement. Add a poly thin sock and a wool sock, warm all day even when standing around.
Chepachet....The Alaska of Rhode Island

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 05, 2017, 08:57 PM »
Overall: I am very very impressed. Previous owners on this forum were not exaggerating about the Baffin Impacts. Those Canadians make a damn good boot.  :)

see---told 'ya!! If we don't know how to dress for the cold by now there is no hope for us!! ;Dj
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline iceman2719

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 07, 2017, 08:25 PM »
Military Mickey Mouse boots... extremely warm , water proof ! Not great for walking long distances . But I added a pair of quality Dr sholzs type soles the helped tremendously!
Don't horse em!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.