Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Central Iowa Ice Conditions  (Read 4509 times)

Offline AltOutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
Central Iowa Ice Conditions
« on: Jan 20, 2017, 01:54 PM »
Has anyone been on the ice in central Iowa in the last day or two???   Heard this morning that there was 6-7 inches on Badger Creek.  Been wondering about Hooper, Ahquabi, or West Lake area. 
Alternative Outdoors
Bait, Tackle, Taxidermy

Offline skatebass93

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Central Iowa Ice Conditions
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2017, 03:02 PM »
I was on a decent size pond in des moines yesterday. 6in of ice, lots of water on top. Ice was milky about 3 inches down. Only fished for an hour maybe less. Ice was very sketchy and had some sagging spots right in the middle of the pond. Didnt feel to comfortable. Id be extremely careful on any of those lakes.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2017, 09:56 AM »
Good job paying attention to the conditions! Safety first!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2017, 06:23 PM »
I didn't stop and drill but I went to Badger Creek today to look around this afternoon.   20 groups on the ice, scattered from the dam end to down west of the road bed.   
You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2017, 07:40 PM »
Couple of people and their ride took a dip on Brushy. This was on a couple sites, both people are safe. I'd be very careful !!!  Someone tried the channel on Clear Lake too, guess who won?

Offline AltOutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 24, 2017, 10:52 AM »
We got reports yesterday on West Lake of a good 6" on the lake.  The edges were a bit slushy, but it was good ice.  Been getting reports from Badger Creek that the ice is still good there.  Also have heard that Maffit Lake has good ice on it.  All great reports going into another cold snap!!  Have fun and stay safe on the ice!!!
Alternative Outdoors
Bait, Tackle, Taxidermy

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 24, 2017, 02:41 PM »
Cody's report for the West Lake Ice out was promising this morning. 6" with colder temps on the way. Should do a lot to at least firm up what's left.....

Offline AltOutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 26, 2017, 08:07 AM »
I have been hearing a solid 6-7 on out of the lakes around here.  If I have any customers gong out this morning, will make sure to update with their ice reports.
Alternative Outdoors
Bait, Tackle, Taxidermy

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 26, 2017, 09:43 AM »
I have been hearing a solid 6-7 on out of the lakes around here.  If I have any customers gong out this morning, will make sure to update with their ice reports.

"the lakes around here"   Just where is "here"?   You don't list any location in your profile so are we just supposed to guess where you are at?   I realize you are trying to help, but a location would be most helpful.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline samface83

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2017, 10:03 AM »
alt outdoors is a nice bait shop in Norwalk iowa.  So south central iowa.

Offline AltOutdoors

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 26, 2017, 10:08 AM »
"the lakes around here"   Just where is "here"?   You don't list any location in your profile so are we just supposed to guess where you are at?   I realize you are trying to help, but a location would be most helpful.

Sorry, been talking about Badger Creek, West Lake, Ahquabi, and Hooper.  Will have to change our location so it shows up.
Alternative Outdoors
Bait, Tackle, Taxidermy

Offline frozentoze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2023, 12:40 PM »
Went out on blue heron lake in West Des Moines. 5-6 inches throughout the lake. Had one 6 inch white crappie hit on a white and brown tungsten, lots of other marks on the vex but no other hookups in 5 hours

Offline therealjt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh i wish i was a fishing
« Reply #12 on: Jan 08, 2023, 07:11 PM »
Was on 8-11" at Big Creek this morning. Hooper had 8" off the boat ramp when a gentleman informed me it was drained when they drained Ahquabi. Badger had 8" and was really "talking" when we came off at 6pm

Offline frozentoze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2023, 08:38 AM »
Pretty concerned about ice this weekend.. bought a spud bar. This heat is not what our january needed.

Offline frozentoze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2023, 05:49 PM »
6 inches of ice out on blue heron. In West Des Moines. Crappies were fun this afternoon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.