Author Topic: Need Help choosing a Digital Camera  (Read 3781 times)

Offline RPM

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Need Help choosing a Digital Camera
« on: Dec 21, 2003, 06:04 PM »
I have decided to purchase a Digital Camera and would really appreciate your opinions on what model to get. What are things I should look for?
Thanks,
Ralph

iceman670

Re:Need Help choosing a Digital Camera
« Reply #1 on: Dec 21, 2003, 06:29 PM »
For all around good camera, I would recomend a Sony Digi camera,
I been using them since Kodak had a 8 shot no flash and 320 *240 pixs
8 years maybe. Any way go with sony I think right now they have a 3.2mega pixs for about 199. or so and they have a printer, HP I think for about 150 that you can take the card out of  the camera and put in the printer slot and get a instant 6*4 print in about 90 seconds

This has been working for me for years Summer {muskies} Winter {anything} NOTE: With the 3.2 pixs you should get great 5*7 and pretty good 8*10s

Just my 2 cents  RonP

Offline hillbilly hank

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2003, 06:51 PM »
we went with a olympus c-4000 it takes razor sharp pics and is relitivly user friendly.it has to be for me to use it ;)   had a friend that had a olympus c750 which has 10x zoom but at hi zoom it had a focus problem at hi zoom...so he got a c4000 and really likes it. plus it has a metal body and feels like a camera...

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2003, 06:51 PM »
What do you want to spend?

Things to look for:
Megapixals...more = better quality (most of the time)
Memory/processor speed (Don't want to wait 10 seconds to take a second  picture)
Memory...what kind and how much does it cost?
Durability......They do get dropped.
What kind of batteries? (AA NiMH are great and cheap compaired to "camera batteries).
Optical zoom. Don't worry about the  digital zoom....not really worth much.
Buy it from a quality camera Mfg....

That said, I did a bunch of research before I got my new one. I was not happy with my old one, and I did not want to make the same mistake twice. I decided on the Minolta DiImage 414. 4 Megapixal (take jpeg's, and TIFF (12 meg each  :o), aluminum case, fast memory/processor,compact flash memory, AA batteries, great quality optics, and a macro finction to take close up photos.

I've had it for 6 months and I am VERY happy with it. Do your research and pick what YOU want. I'm sure you will get a lot of opinions, so use them to do your research. As long as you are happy, that is all that matters.

Mike P. Sheahan

« Reply #4 on: Dec 21, 2003, 07:48 PM »
I was a professional photographer for a few years, and own thousands of dollars worth of photo equiptment.  I just bought a $36 closeout HP 1 mega pixle digital camera, and I really dig it.

I bought it for taking out on the Ice in winter, in the boat in summer, and all around goofing off.  I wil probably never make a print from it, but I have already sent a half dozen pictures to my other family members around the country.

I guess I look at it this way.  If you want one to make prints with get at least a 3 Mp camera.  If you only want it to goof around with like ebay, web stuff, and e-mail, get the cheapest thing you can find.

If you arn't happy with it, most stores offer 30 day no questions aked retuns or exchanges.

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 21, 2003, 10:03 PM »
Hey Mike did you use that cheap cam for your bio pic, that looks pretty good
Mike

captinjohn

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21, 2003, 10:21 PM »
I read a lot of reviews on-line.  I chose a Cannon  A-40 and I really like it. It has 3x optical zoom.  Really nis photos.   Send me your email...and  I may send you a photo I took with it.   Its a 34 inch steelie.  You can get lens attachments for it too.  Very nice outfit!!!    Captin    

Offline genz_man

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Just 1 more crappie!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2003, 03:41 AM »
Start with a cheap 1 to 2 megapixel camera. Any one will do for the most part starting out. Do NOT pay more then 200 bucks for it. When you are starting out and screwing up like I did during the learning phase you are better off not getting all the bells and whistles. Also mentioned earlier in this thread is to get 4 NIMH rechargeable batteries and a charger to go with it. Make sure you check the type of battery your camera will take before you buy so you get the proper ones to go with your camera. I believe that most digicams today use AA as the standard at either 2 or 4 total needed to operate it. NIMH batteries last longer in digicams then alkaline batteries and will save you lots of money in the long run. Hope this helps 8) :'(

Offline RPM

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
Thanks Guys
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2003, 08:49 AM »
I really appreciate the input, I need a camera I can take hunting and fishing to send pics to friends, as well as a camera capable of making good prints. Thanks again all.
RPM

Offline auger7

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good things come to those who wait...
« Reply #9 on: Dec 22, 2003, 10:32 AM »
RPM-
I know that everyone has their own opinions and loyalties but do yourself a favor before you buy and check out the Minolta Dimage X (2.1mp) and Dimage Xi (3.2mp) cameras. These cameras take excellent pictures both close-up and distance. They have an internal optical zoom so you will not have the lense extending out, and best of all, it is the size of a deck of cards. If you don't bring your camera because it is too bulky, you will miss out on great unexpected shots. I have my DimageX with me in the boat, tree stand, and on the ice. Fits nicely into your shirt pocket. Easy to use, has a movie mode to take 15 second video clips, and has sound. This is an incredible, rugged, little camera and prices should be reasonable on Ebay and other internet sites.

Offline Webguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Lured into it, get reel!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 22, 2003, 12:16 PM »
I went with a $100 one to start with but found the quality just didn't cut it when trying to get what I wanted out of a picture. A decent camera with more pixels means you have more flexibility and can take a small part of a picture and zoom in on it, crop it, blow it up, and still have a good picture. It can help compensate for operator error like being too far away or off center. Now I have the Olympus Stylus 400 it's weatherproof (deciding factor for me), 4 megapixel (a little overkill), rechargeable battery, small solid package, and easy to use.

I would figure out how much you want to spend first, then research a little and get the most for your money with a name brand unit.

Offline FishDeepCreek

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got 45?
« Reply #11 on: Dec 22, 2003, 02:21 PM »
Depends on you use. For web posting pics 1MP is fine. If you plan on printing alot of pics, more resolution is better. The main advantage of higher resolution cameras is for making blow up pics for printing. I use an old HP 1 MP camera, for all my pics ive posted, and I end up downsizing the pics so theyll load quicker. For zoom forget about digital zoom, its crap most of the time. It works by doubling the pixels of an image, and results in lots of lost clarity. Optical zoom is the way to go if you want a camera with zoom. Its done by using lenses instead of pixel controlling. Digital cams have really come down in price, now is a good time to buy!

Mike P. Sheahan

« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2003, 10:01 AM »
dachmation, no the goofy shot of me here was shot with another of my favorite sub-one hundred dollar cameras, the best cheap 35mm camera ever made, Olympus Stylus.  Nothing fancy about it, it doesn't even have a zoom on it, but untill I got my cheap'O HP digital, the Olympus lived in my tackel box.

Offline Steady_Eddie

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 23, 2003, 11:21 AM »
I have the Olympus C740 and love it.  Its not cheap but
you get what you pay for.  Optical zoom is a very important
feature to me.  This one has a 10X optical zoom !  Not many
have this good a zoom.  Ignore the digital zoom that some
advertise its a joke, optical zoom is key.  

Offline fishincrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The meaning of life is fishing with your friends.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 23, 2003, 08:24 PM »
Let me know what one you decide on because I have to get one also.
All I need is ice and the fish will come.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #15 on: Dec 23, 2003, 10:41 PM »
I have used many digital cameras in the past few years, and for my money, you cant beat the quality, rugedness, and reliability of a Sony CyberShot.  It is what i own. i own the p-71, which has been superceded by the p-72.

Offline fishermanjake

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Way to go honey!!!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 25, 2003, 08:39 PM »
i have the cannon s400 digital elph, coldn't be happier with it.  Its small, but takes some great shots.  I put it in my pocket and take it everywhere. one heck of a camera.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #17 on: Dec 26, 2003, 01:59 PM »
I Got a free 1.3 mega that came with my puter. Works pretty good, i blew up a pic to 8x10 to see what it was like and it was pretty good. Now the camera wont load any pics to my pc so i need a nother one. What can i get for around $100 TO$125?
I dont need anything over 2.0 cause it will be for puter use only, and have excellent 35mm film cameras.

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2003, 01:05 PM »
get a kodak,   i got a kodak easy share LS443, its got 4 mega pixels , it gets charged on a docking station, great camera overall.
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline Iceshanty

• Admin
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Unwilling to leave the fish I have not caught yet
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2003, 01:51 PM »
For most of the pics on the site, backgrounds page and bio pics, I used my hp 315 2.1 mega pixel digital camera. I have taken over 2000 pictures on 5 sets of batteries.

What's cooler than being cool? Ice cold

´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º>                                
`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((º> 
´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><(((((((((º>

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2003, 01:56 PM »
I  agree with red eye. I just bought a kodak cx6330. it is a 3.1 mega pixel. it has 16mb of internal memory and also takes the sd and mmc memory cards. the cards are the size of a postage stamp. it has all the bells and whistles and is extremly user friendly. I figured it out in 10 minutes and that was setting up the camera to my  specs. I bought 3 memory cards and the nimhd batteries w/ a charger. cameras use up lots of battery power especially if you use the led screen on the back so buy re- chargables. go to www. circuitcity.com and check out their cameras. you can shop from home and have it delivered right to you door. a  3.1 should be all the camera you need. the bigger mega pixel cameras are more for the pro or if you want to blow up pictures to poster size. also buy a card reader. it will transfer your pictures into your computer and you will save battery power by not having to use the camera for this function. I hope my rambling has helped you decide which type to buy. good luck to you.

himo1123
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline RPM

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2003, 01:58 PM »
WOW thats a beautiful shot. I may just steel that and make it my background.  :)
At this point I am leaning towards a Canon A60. Decent quality with middle of the road pricing. I heard a rumour that Canon plans to flood the market in 2004 with 20 to 25 new models. I'll wait and see if they were right.
Happy COLD new year everybody.
RPM

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2003, 06:59 PM »
red eyes, Scott and HIMO thanks a lot.
I'm a 35mm guy and didnt know what to do :-[
HIMO your camera sounds cool , but is probablly too much money for me.
I rather spend it on hunting and icefishing stuff ;)

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #23 on: Dec 28, 2003, 07:08 AM »
hey crappieloo. the camera only cost $199.00 not a lot for hopefully the last camera I intend to buy. check out www.circuitcity.com for prices.
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline RPM

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Dec 29, 2003, 11:53 AM »
Just got back from the camera shop, and I've found what I'm looking for.
Its a Nikon coolpix 3700. It is a really nice unit. I had thought about the Canon A60, but after trying it out and seeing the almost 2 second lag time (from the time you release the shutter button until the camera actually takes the pic) I've changed my mind. The Nikon 3700 also is the first one to use the SD memory cards, which is why there is only a 0.2 second lag time. The only reason I didn't bring one home with me is the $550 CDN price tag. I will wait until March when the new stuff comes out and see if the price drops.
Thank you to everyone who has responded to my request on camera info.
Ralph

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #25 on: Dec 29, 2003, 12:48 PM »
RPM, there are now alot of digital cameras that accept the SD card (I have three that do). Look at the Kodak line and you'll see a few for way less than $550 CDN
Pete Lewis

neversunk

« Reply #26 on: Dec 29, 2003, 05:37 PM »
I also had the same concerns as you with size etc and did about 3 days straight of reading reviews etc on the net. I ended up with a minolta dimage G400. It fits in your pocket, has long battery life, and with the 256 mg card in it you can get 78 pics at the 2.0 megapix setting. I took pics with the 4.0 megapix setting and couldnt tell the difference at 5 x 7 size pictures....only difference comes in if you blow them up to 8 x 10. It also has manual settings....found it on the net for $299 . good luck....theres some sites out there for camera reviews at megapixel.net which really do in depth ratings on them, and direct you to the cheapest seller too. It worked fine for me and I'm estatic with the camera...good luck....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.