Author Topic: Lunar Calendar Fishing.  (Read 5880 times)

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
Lunar Calendar Fishing.
« on: Feb 07, 2005, 03:33 PM »
Does anyone fish according the lunar calendar? I have been experimenting with it and Barometric Pressure for a few years and have had good results. I am always looking for more information about the subject, so if anyone knows of any Internet links, books or personal information, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS: It is a new moon tomorrow (Tues Feb 8, 05) and by all accounts the fish should be most active. Also, just to make it even better the peak overhead times of the sun and moon are within 2 minutes of eachother. Both will be at their hightest point above you at 1:20-1:22pm (you won't see the moon, but it will be high above you.) This trend happens maybe once a month and the window for peak fishing is anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours. I will be fishing from 11:30 to 3:00pm. If the weather pressure is falling, this will make it even better. The sun and moon being at their peak at the same time occurs aprox once a month like I said earlier. However, when this occurrence happens to be with a new moon(which effects fish activity alone), it is quite rare. Once a year if at all. If you are a believer of the lunar effects of fish activity, then you know tomorrow is a special day.

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
Re: Lunar Calendar Fishing.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2005, 04:35 PM »
Thats just CRAZY talk!!!!!!!

No seriously, I have never paid any attention to that stuff but hey if it works for you go for it. How can anyone prove that for those few hours the fish will be more "active" when there are so many variables that you would have to take into consideration, particular lake, location in the lake, species, etc.

Just get out there crack a cold one and hope for the best!!!

Husser, let us know how you make out, maybe you'll make me a believer.

Good luck, APU. ;D
MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2005, 06:21 PM »
i'm with apu and don't put much stock in that stuff, seasonal movements, time of day(early/late in the day), and maybe prevailing winds in the summer seem to have a lot more of an affect on fish than barometric pressure and lunar activity.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2005, 06:39 PM »
I guess I should clarify that the times I provided earlier are for Saskatoon - Dundurn (close latt and longitude). Different locations will have different times in terms of the sun and moon being overhead. Tomorrow may be different here than there. The formula is the same for every location according to its longitude and latitude, but the change in position will effect the times. No matter though. Tomorrow should be peak fishing for most lakes in Saskatchewan. The times may vary though.

MeadowPikeMan: You include the sun rotation (sunrise/sunset) in your calculations, but why not the moon rotations? The moon doesn't only come out at night. Tomorrow you won't see the moon because it comes out during the day. Also all weather is based on the Barometric pressure, so if you can read the barometric pressure, you can predict the weather. That's how the weather men do it. The barometric pressure also determines the dispertion of oxygen in the water and the pressure on fish's lungs. It definitly effects fish movment. This is fact.

Offline APU GARCIA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Saskatchewan
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2005, 08:35 AM »
I use the sun and moon for light conditions. When fishing for Walleye at night in the summer I like to have a bright moon overhead, I troll with crank baits at night and if the sky has some light to it I believe the fish can look up and see the bait better than if there was a dark sky.

MY NAME IS APU, HOW DO YOU DO, NOW YOU GUNNA DIE!!!!!!

pholio

« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2005, 08:35 PM »
"The barometric pressure also determines the dispertion of oxygen in the water and the pressure on fish's lungs."

I'm gonna have to call you on that one.  Last time I checked fish don't have lungs they have gills.  But I do believe there is a relationship between barometric pressure and fish activity. 

Offline BigLunker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2005, 10:17 PM »
I also believe that baromertric pressure changes effect fishing activity.  I can never remember if the "pros" say there is better fishing when the pressure is going up or down.

Last year we had a very succesful day out at the Strap.  We landed a 5 lber, two 14lbers, and a 23 lber.  We recorded the exact time of day when we caught the fish and I contacted Environment Canada and they sent me an hourly printout of barometric pressure for that particular day.  The pressure would go up and down throughout the day slightly but there was one point when it climbed above the average.  We did have our best luck during that period but we also landed all the fish when the pressure was rising.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2005, 10:53 AM »
all im sure of is that during a full moon in most of the summer and less in the winter,we cannot catch a trout on or very near a full moon.go ahead try for yourself.I must clarify that this is on deifenbaker lk. only.as i fish it almost exclusively.the further away from the fullmoon the better for me.i fish the lake 3 times a week and have logged many hrs into my diary.same senario every full moon.i am thinking however that on this full moon they may be feeding throughout the night instead of the day as near a full moon when we do catch a rare trout it will be at first light and the fish is usually full of pelllets from the night before.

Offline buzzbomb

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2005, 10:19 PM »
I've seen solunar tables really predict terrific fishing when there was nothing in 3 hours previous...once.  It works, but it's only one factor in the big equation. ;D
The problem with quotes on the internet is that they're difficult to prove.
Abraham Lincoln, 1866

Offline MeadowPikeman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Friends don't let friends fish without tip ups.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2005, 11:39 PM »
 not that these tables make no difference but patterning a bite and being confident on a body of water, reading water and electronics and the techniques you use play a much bigger  role than any tables do. I have bodies of water that i would be comfotable fishing any day of the year regardless of lunar cycles or even weather patterns. just from having experience on one body of water to the next i'd say would be the most important component to being successful on the water.
Ketchin dem Logs enough to build a house!!

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2005, 09:18 AM »
Just to let you know Tues, Wed and Thurs should be great days of fishing. If you read my first post(#1), you know what happened earlier in the month. Well the tail end is occurs today. The sun(here) and the full moon (otherside of the world) will be at their highest peaks at the same time. They are aligned and as far away from eachother as possible. This will effect gravitational pull. We won't feel it but fish will. This should effect fish behavior which usually results in aggressiveness. Here's hoping, I'm off to the Strap. (Man, I wish we had a good fishing lake within Saskatoon's armreach. It would make these short 4 hour trips so much more worth while.)

PS: The time of the sun and moon transit being the same is 1:17pm. This is also a full moon, so it is even better.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 25, 2005, 10:26 AM »
well being a full moon,my  prediction is that you will not catch much.however i am not an expert by any means.again i fish deif almost exclusively and we have never had much luck on a full moon or near a full moon.I can tell you however that we have our best luck perhaps a week or two before the full moon.this year has been an much different though.maybe we are not fishing in the right spot.we have had very poor success all year as compared to last year.ive moved all over the lake and had poor luck.the fish are not in shallows,not in 15 ft either.they may be in deep water.many have said the same about deif and lakes in the south in general.so please post your success husser on this full moon

Offline Husser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 25, 2005, 04:55 PM »
Ronnie, have you fished Danielson Bay this winter? Am thinking about sitting on the ice there this weekend. Any advice is appreciated.

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 01, 2005, 06:39 PM »
husser.....i sent you a pm..........did you get the pm

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.