The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Drill Operated Reduction Auger.....D-O-R-A!!!!!!!!!  (Read 25531 times)

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Drill Operated Reduction Auger.....D-O-R-A!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #90 on: Jan 24, 2015, 11:45 PM »
Glad to hear it!

Me too!!!

<°)))>{

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #91 on: Jan 27, 2015, 09:55 PM »
Today I used my buddy's eskimo silver tip 8" on Dora, it cut so nice I will be getting one for sure.  I cut 13 holes through 10" with no sign of low battery.  I was amazed the difference between my mora and this auger.  Next time we fish together I will see how many holes one 2.6ah bat will give me.  I will guess 25 through 10" of ice, 250 inches of ice on 2.6ah with an 8" bit is plain awesome.  Here is a vid of the last 5 of 13 I drilled, it cut so nice we had to make a video.  Can't say enough about the silver tip worth every penny at least at first.  There is no way without gear reduction that this drill could have spun such an aggressive auger, it would have burned up for sure. With gear reduction.....smooth as silk. Check it out!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #92 on: Jan 28, 2015, 07:11 AM »
When will my Dora be in the mail? I have the Silvertip 6" which cuts great but Dora,she makes it real nice.
<===Lefty===

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Jan 28, 2015, 11:13 AM »
Very impressive with a 8" bit! Throw a 6" Lazer on Dora and it'll  punch all day
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Jan 28, 2015, 12:19 PM »
I was super impressed too!  After building it I fell in love with it, but now after trying a more aggressive auger I am head over heals for it.  I smile every time I cut a hole!  Watching people hand drill and people trying to start their gas augers.  I love to watch videos on you tube of people smoking out brand new drills punching 8" holes. Another plus is I can remove the drill in a few seconds and off to work, no chuck removal like the clam plate.  I use my drill for work 12 months a year so $ spent on a drill is $ earned, not used 3 months a year like ion, or lithium lazer.  The only thing holding up production is the cash to order 1st round of parts.  Me being a contractor, work slows in the winter and I have been making just enough to get us by. I need to grab a quick money making contract to order up some parts.  I am trying to use all made in usa parts but they can be hard to find all the way down to the steel tubing used to build the frame.  Dora, born and raised in some little hick town USA,  build by a Pa hillbilly on his front porch.  That is the american dream to me! I am ready to turn my 16'x20' woodshop into a manufacturing facility!!! I am very excited, thanks for all the comments, suggestions and support. 

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Jan 30, 2015, 09:21 PM »
 I picked up a kids bike last fall with the idea of trying to make a clam plate type drill with gear reduction but haven't gotten any farther than that.  I like your design using the bike frame way to think out of the box.   Think I may go with that type of design except I don't have a drill with the auxiliary handle so I'll have to alter the design a little.   Do you keep the drill in "drill" mode or are you able to use the higher clutch settings to give you a little safety factor if you hit something solid while drilling.  I know with the slower speed it's probably not needed but just wondering if you have tried that.   I believe my gear set gives me a 2 to 1 reduction if I remember correctly and I'm wondering if I stay with a six inch auger if a twelve volt drill would work.  The drill and a 7 or 9 amp hour gel cell battery seems like it could make a good combination and give new life to that drill I should have thrown out years ago.   

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Jan 31, 2015, 04:49 PM »
With the reduction the clutch settings do work, and is def safer.  2 to 1 I think may be a little high for 12 v,  maybe 3 to 1 for 12v.  2.5 is perfect for 18v drills.   I ordered x2 12v 7.5 ah lithium batteries, I plan on wiring them in series and over volting my 18v drill. I did some test on a old drill and 24v to an 18v drill did not overhead the motor at all.  The battery pack will be about 6"x 6" by 3.5 inches tall and weigh about 5lbs. See how this works.  Post some pics of your gear reduction when done, so we can check it out.  I had thought about making a second handle so not to push on the drill at all, but with the dewalt I haven't needed it, 360 degree handle, but mil fuel does not have a 360 handle so a permanent second handle would be needed.  Most all hammer drills have a t handle, drills that don't have handles may no drill very many holes, due to running less watts= using more amps to do the same job and batterys were not made for super high amp draw.  12 v may work for now but the batterys life will be shortened.  18v drills are much better, but hard to find after market lithium batterys with the right voltage with high amp draw capabilities. That is why auger companies are switching to 40v and 50v systems, much more reliable batterys made from 18650 cells.  I have looked all over the internet and could not find lithium 18v batterys with high ah and 40amp draw, lithium battery cells are 3.7v compared to 1.2v like ni cad.  If one wanted a 18v 10ah pack with 40amp draw, he would have to build it and hope that the lithium battery does not exploded, lol.

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Jan 31, 2015, 09:33 PM »
Guess I'll have to keep and eye out for some different gears.  Looks like the ice season here is over for this year so I'm not in a big hurry for the project.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #99 on: Feb 01, 2015, 03:26 AM »
Ice season over????  How thick does the ice get where you live???? maybe 12v could work for you, sounds like a crazy short season. Good luck

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #100 on: Feb 01, 2015, 11:00 AM »
Guess I'll have to keep and eye out for some different gears.  Looks like the ice season here is over for this year so I'm not in a big hurry for the project.

Dang, if your season is that short, a good spud bar should serve you just dandy...

<*)))>{

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Feb 02, 2015, 08:29 PM »
Middle of January we had 12 inches of ice then we had two weeks with highs in the upper 40's to upper 50's with a mid 60's thrown in.  Had a low of -7 last night we'll just have to wait and see we might have fish-able ice again.  As far as spud bars after making a couple I think I know what features I want in the third one to make it just right !

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Feb 03, 2015, 05:13 AM »
That is my biggest fear, a few warm weeks to mess up ice season.  Well, here in craword co, pa, we just got 2 ft of snow on top of what we already had and 6" more on the way tomarrow night.  There is about 30" of snow on the lake in spots.  Makes for a fun drag! A few warm days may end my season too, 2 ft of slush is enough to deter the most die hards out there.  This year has been crazy 40f one day and -10f the next.  Hope you get a few more trips out there this year, good luck

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #103 on: Feb 12, 2015, 05:49 AM »
Just an update, I have been fishing everyday, putting dora to the test.  She has out performed my expectations!!!!!! I drilled at least 60 holes yesterday through 12-18" of ice!  I was all over the lake practicing for a tourney coming up this weekend, lol.  I brought 3 dewalt 18v xrp batteries with me and the 3rd was still going strong. At one point I drilled 11 in a row over a basin looking for fish and the drill and battery did not even get warm.  I am still running a 8" Mora with sharp china blades, but can only imagine what a nils or fine bore 3 would do.  Next year it will be mil fuel and fin bore 3 on dora!  Testing has been a dream, and it is for sure ready for production not a single problem to be found.  100% the easiest auger I have ever used!!!!!!!!   

Offline kc_

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • formerly known as ljc2tall, aka kc on mff
« Reply #104 on: Feb 12, 2015, 12:26 PM »
better send me a prototype for more testing.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Feb 15, 2015, 11:59 AM »
Once production starts up, I will be contacting all of doras' supporters here on shanty for 1 generation deals for testing.  I do thank all of you for suggestions and criticism!  All of you helped make Dora what it is and what it will be.  I am truly loving this auger... did a tourney yesterday, come 5 am gas augers everywhere, loud as heck!  Dora silently drilled our 45 ice holes through 18" of ice in subzero wind chills in short order.  14 in a row and no heat coming from battery or drill!  I have been purposely working it hard and it just eats ice like a pro.  I packed slush up in the chain and let it freeze on purpose just to see what happened, it just spit the ice out of the open side of the chain guard and the chain and gears were clean and good to go.  Just can't believe the difference in how the drill handles the load with the reduction compared to without.  Last year no reduction I got 8 holes per battery through 18" of ice, this year 15-20!!!!   last year when I drilled in my hut, 4 holes in a row, the drill would be so hot you could not touch it near the motor and I replaced the switch 4 times in one season.  This year with Dora, same model dw989 can drill at least 14 straight through 18" on one charge without heat or struggle. Same mora hand auger both years.  I have more than doubled the holes from each charge and have done no damage to my drill.  Sweet!  By the way making the holes easier to drill still didn't win me any prize loot in the tourney.  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( Lol

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #106 on: Feb 15, 2015, 02:46 PM »
Good luck in the Tourny next time!

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Feb 18, 2015, 09:02 AM »
Thanks, got a tourney next weekend too.  My gf's son and I fished the extreme cold front we had here in Pa all weekend.  My # of holes dropped slightly with the ni cad bats in -20f temps.  Still managed to at least 30 8" holes through 18" with my three 2.6ah bats and still had charge.  Then we got on the fish and stayed put and warm beside the woodstove. -20f outside,  80f inside the hut ;D.  Even my truck was cold blooded that night, after I warmed it up the axle lube was still frozen, every time I pushed the clutch the truck would slow down real fast. So a drop in # of holes due to extreme cold was not a big shocker.  I tried to start my husqvarna 440 chainsaw to cut up some firewood that day b4 fishing and it would not fire up in -20f and that saw runs like a champ.  I would still consider electric augers more reliable than gas in extreme cold, but I am comparing chainsaws to augers I guess.  -20f is not exactly hole hoping weather anyway.  We fished it just to say we did and prove to ourselves we can fish a -40f windchill @) @) @) @)lol

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #108 on: Feb 18, 2015, 11:37 AM »
That is quite a report! The gear reduction really is a game changer! I hope that I will have a DORA for next season!!!!!!!!!

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Mar 10, 2015, 11:52 PM »
I have not  posted in a while, with it being tourney season, lol. Busy, busy!  Just wanted to update, I have fished almost everyday this season with Dora and not a single problem!!!!!!  Only ran out of charge one day, fished the tourney at conneaut lake pa, it was -25f in the morning and the bats got cold, there was three of us with 5 tippys a piece, we moved around a bit, so it still did prob 35-40 holes that day.  This past weekend the lake we fished had close to 30" of ice and Dora still got 12 8" holes through 30" of ice, with a Mora on one battery!!!!!!  Fin bore 3 next season!!!!!!  After using Dora for almost a whole season I can truly say that gear reduction is the key to drilling 8+" holes with a cordless drill.  The drill never even got warm, all season, from 20 holes back to back all the way up to 30" of ice!!!!  NO Drill Damage!!!!!!   I believe a brushless drill would drill a 10" hole with reduction too! I will work hard all off season to make as many as I can and next season Dora will be available.  It is only a matter of time till a large company makes a reduction unit, but I will put the quality and durability of Dora against any other product out there.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #110 on: Mar 11, 2015, 04:53 AM »
Thanks for the update. Sounds like you got a winner there. Wish you well on your making of other units.
<===Lefty===

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #111 on: Mar 11, 2015, 08:07 PM »
It is yours I want for next season!

Offline MookieB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Apr 13, 2015, 05:45 PM »
yeah, let us know what it would cost to produce one of these. I would like to have one.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #113 on: Apr 15, 2015, 10:05 AM »
Will do, thanks for the interest.  By september there will be Dora's available for the up coming season!  I will keep everybody posted. Thanks again.

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Sep 14, 2015, 10:46 AM »
Happy September!

How we looking boss?

<°)))>{

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #115 on: Sep 21, 2015, 06:24 PM »
Will do, thanks for the interest.  By september there will be Dora's available for the up coming season!  I will keep everybody posted. Thanks again.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline Chuckles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #116 on: Nov 01, 2015, 03:55 AM »
    Hey there   PaWiskerWacker   how's the production of DORA  coming along ?
 I sent you a PM but it was unable to be delivered.   An update would be nice.

Later.... Chuckles

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #117 on: Jan 23, 2016, 05:19 AM »
OK what is going on with DORA?
<===Lefty===

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #118 on: Jan 29, 2016, 06:25 AM »
I drill holes with her everyday, she is still going strong!  Absolutely no trouble or drill wear in two seasons now.  I did add a second unit mounted handle instead of using the drills t handle and it did make a big difference slushing holes out.  There will be Dora's available at one point, I have just been too busy with my contracting company to do what I need to do to get some made.  I need to build a pole building so I have the space,my current shop is more like tool storage in the winter time and leaves little room to work on anything.  Plus I still need to get my fishing in, lol.   This year I picked up a strikemaster mag 10" off a buddy at a good price, and am yet to use it.... The ice has only been 6" all season......I bring one battery with me and Dora drills all day!  I apologize for delay on making a few of these available but I wanted it to be just right, and I believe it now is.  In my opinion the safest, easiest to use, most versatile auger there is.   ;D 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #119 on: Jan 29, 2016, 09:18 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I don't blame you for wanting to get your fishing in. Good luck on making more.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.