Author Topic: Where to find Whitefish in a lake?  (Read 7271 times)

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Where to find Whitefish in a lake?
« on: Dec 02, 2010, 11:48 PM »
  Need some general help on where to find whitefish in a lake.  A couple of hours away in Washington are several lakes that contain whitefish that no one seems to fish for...  These aren't the classic whitefish lakes...none are that deep and are actually noted as walleye producers.  So, if I was looking at a lake contour map, what kind of things should I look for on the map to find where the whitefish would most likely be?

Thanks,

Jim

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
Re: Where to find Whitefish in a lake?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2010, 05:44 PM »
Whitefish spawn in late fall and early winter, so at first ice, I would try shallow, hard bottomed areas.  It is better if there is a tributary mouth nearby. (be very careful of current making dangerous ice!)  On the lakes I fish, this is generally 15 feet or less.  Whitefish are very skittish, so when you are in shallow water, you will probably need to black out the light in your shack, and be very quiet so as not to spook them.

Most of my luck comes on deep clay / sand and gravel areas. 
I also like steep drop-offs  ( the first real sharp break into the main lake basin) especially if there are zebra muscles attached to the rocks. Large rocks with Moss or small grass are even better.  Mark them with your GPS.

White fish that are not suspended usually root along the bottom for blood worms and other bugs.

I like to catch them on a Swedish Pimple, with a couple of Wax worms or Maggots on the treble hook.
Whitefish have excellent eyesight, so use a clear mono or Fluorocarbon leader that is about 12" long, to a nice swivel.

Whitefish fight pretty hard.  Notice the sharply forked tail.  Fighting them from down deep is great fun, just make sure that your reel has a nice drag system and that it is set properly. 

Whitefish have a very soft mouth, similar to a Crappie, and you can tear the hooks free if you don't take your time and play them right.
They fight hard, and will often tear hooks free when you are trying to lift them from the hole.

A gaff will help you get them in.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2010, 11:12 PM »
Wiener,
Thanks so much for the reply and pics!!!  I much appreciate your insight....

Thanks,

Jim

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2010, 09:16 AM »
What type of whitefish are you targeting?
In Washington I suspect mountain whitefish.
Around here in Ontario we have lake whitefish. Not sure if they behave the same though. On Lake Simcoe large soft bottom flats in deeper waters seem to be the best bet. My best luck is in the 80'-92' range.
As the lakes you fish are not as deep try looking for a large soft bottom flat in the lakes deeper waters.

Good Luck: Rick

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #4 on: Dec 05, 2010, 09:17 AM »
Hey no problem!

I just started fishing for whitefish the last couple of years and they are a blast.

Just remember to keep your presentations small, they have a small downward pointing mouth.
This will help them take in the whole bait, instead of just pecking at it.

Hope this helps and Good luck,

Wiener

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 05, 2010, 02:38 PM »
What type of whitefish are you targeting?
In Washington I suspect mountain whitefish.

Nope, Lake Whitefish!  Don't know the how or why, but there are several lakes with them and no one really fishes for them.

Jim

Offline aulrich

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 07, 2010, 04:37 PM »
Are these natural lake or reservoirs, reservoirs around here a typical stocking scheme is pike, walleye, burbot and whitefish.  We also have some reservoirs where they tried to start lake whitefish but they never took but the native rockies are still around, though that could be an urban myth since I have yet to see evidence of these.

Offline DakotaElkSlayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Dec 07, 2010, 10:59 PM »
  Some are natural lakes, others are reservoirs....  Don't know how/why of first stocking, but many of the lakes(around Moses Lake) are connected via irrigation canals.  Read somewhere that those canals is how the whitefish spread.

Jim

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.