Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: driving on the ice  (Read 3080 times)

Offline ice-aholic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
driving on the ice
« on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:34 AM »
how thick do all of you prefer the ice to be before you would drive on it? especially if you have a 3 quater ton crewcab truck.

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
Re: driving on the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:38 AM »
8 inches for smaller trucks like my s-10 or a car id say 12 for full size trucks like yours and 20 well you can drive a semi on sound about right you the rest of you? 
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline Gold Rush

• IceShanty Rookie
  • They don't call it a "bobhouse" for nothing...
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:39 AM »
Depends on past and current conditions, but generally 12". Always know your ice before it swallows you down.
You can't tell which way the train went by the tracks it left behind.

Offline ice-aholic

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:42 AM »
i always as a rule of thumb used to say 12 inches, i don't know if i am getting old or what but 12 inc just dosen't look like that much to me all of the sudden. i think i just used to be alot braver when i was younger.

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:48 AM »
i grew up in minnesota and we used to have a permant shack on lake tetonka every year and the semis would drive out so set gill nets for commercial fishing and let me tell ya when your sitting in your shack and one goes driving by and the water starts shooting up your hole man it makes ya jump.  LOL
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Offline CrappieBuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2009, 11:39 AM »
9 inches for a truck. 5-6 for a 4 wheeler. 11-12 for a diesel. 20+ for a school bus loaded with kids from fat camp. :laugh:

Offline fowlfoolr1979

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2009, 11:54 AM »
Just got back from Boji-Spirit lake area and everyone is driving out on those lakes.  Ice is from 18-20" with alot of new snow cover on it now.

Layne

Offline old time jigger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2009, 02:27 PM »
I was at big creek thursday(1-8) ice was 14 1/2inches ,i was driving all over (1/2 ton pickup).
I always drive with my window open just incase something happens I can get out easy.
I would rather be fishing,wait i probably am!

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2009, 03:08 PM »
we take our powerstrokes out on a minimum of 14 inches.  When the trucks are close to 8000 lbs. I don't like to risk it to much.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2009, 03:15 PM »
Peterborough man safe as pickup sinks through ice

Saturday, January 10, 2009
HANCOCK, N.H. (AP) — A Peterborough, N.H., man had a close call when his pickup sank through the ice on Nubanusit Lake in Hancock.

Hancock Police say 64-year-old Daniel Traffie was not hurt when his pickup went through the ice and sank in about 30 feet of water Saturday morning.

Ice fisherman Dave Phillips of Dublin told The Keene Sentinel he saw the truck’s front end break through the ice and hang up for several minutes, giving Traffie time to climb out through the window.

___

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2009, 04:31 PM »
I've drove my truck out a few times this year only because I didn't have any where else to go when the road ended. couldn't back up because trucks were behind me. I just followed the road out for a bit, parked and then went the rest of the way on the quad. 15+" at each lake. other than these occasions, I don't plan on driving out again.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Steve B

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2009, 06:24 PM »
 Ive been driving on Spirit, the ice is [where Ive checked] 16-18 inches... Its always a little risky and everyone has to make there own
decision on whether or not to do it....If there are a bunch of trucks out and about I do it. I also make sure Im never the first one out. lol

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2009, 08:51 PM »
I drive my 3/4 ton diesel out on 12+" of clear ice. The only thing i don't like is how rough of a ride it is this year at the IGLS.

Offline Big_Ron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2009, 01:39 PM »
I have never drove on the ice I have a 3/4 ton diesel scared of putting it through the ice. my question is how would that be covered on your insurance I could just imagine calling your insurance company and telling them I just put my $30,000 truck through the ice its at the bottom of the lake. I bet they would say your on your own.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2009, 02:07 PM »
They have off road insurance for toolbags that go through the ice ???

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2009, 02:08 PM »
Friend of mine put his pick-up in leach lake some years back. He had full coverage and the minute it went through the ice he no longer owned it. His insurance company owned it as it was totaled. His insurance took charge and had it removed and paid for a rental car home. Progressive was carrier.
Key word here is Full Coverage

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline CyJ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:07 PM »
Friend of mine put his pick-up in leach lake some years back. He had full coverage and the minute it went through the ice he no longer owned it. His insurance company owned it as it was totaled. His insurance took charge and had it removed and paid for a rental car home. Progressive was carrier.
Key word here is Full Coverage

Did the insurance company pay for the DNR fine also?

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:14 PM »
I always herd insurance would cover it one time. I would make an anonymous call to you agent and find out if your that worried about it. We had two 4 door f-250 diesels side by side on spirit 3 weeks ago. there was 15-18 inches of ice.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2009, 06:29 PM »
Mines insured for driving on the ice, I asked when we got the policy. Wifes is covered to.

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2009, 07:18 PM »
I have full coverage through Allied. I called my agent last week and asked that question also.My comp would cover me unless I was engaged in a tournament then I would need additional coverage. I have not driven on ice since I was a kid in my Grandpas 25 year old 1/2 ton. I may do it if I ever get up to clear lake as my legs are not what they used to be and don't feel like dragging the clam all over the place but the only thing that scares me is how much $$ I would get from my insurance if my 01 Chev Z71 with only 65K mi. goes into the ice. Can't really afford a newer truck right at the moment.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:56 AM »

Did the insurance company pay for the DNR fine also?

There was no fine as far as he knew. But when he called the insurance company early the next day he was told that all dnr inquiries should be directed to Progressive as they own the truck the second it went through the ice.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2009, 09:42 AM »
Yeah...I hear everyone crucify people calling ice driving "stupid" or "risky".  Great...and opinions are everyone's god given right.  Here is a list of things I find dumber that ice driving:

1.) Driving on a road with oncoming 6000 pound trucks at night...with blowing snow to watch a child throw around an inflated piece of animal skin. (HS basketball)

2.) Insurance covering the death of a person involved in any kind of hunting accident.

A couple of them there.  The emotional aspect of driving on ice is moronic.  Yes...18" ice can break.  Yes they could have walked out.  I think hind sight is always 20/20.  As far as stupid or risky....we'll...I think everytime you get out of bed in the AM you are putting yourself in harms way.  If you get t-boned on the way to the store to get steak sauce...I don't think I'll say "you are foolish!!  risking being hit on the road for steak sauce???  what an idiot"   So...when people talk trash about vehicles going through the ice...use a little bit of discretion.  I've never put my vehicle in the lake...but I can't see the future.  If I did...it would be the last time I'm sure.  But until then...I'm going to take calculated risks for my hobbies...same as the rest of the world does everyday.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2009, 12:59 PM »
Don't get me wrong ...I do drive on the ice when it safe...er .
My buddy was coming off AT NIGHT in a SNOW STORM and got turned around in the DARK ... drove right into a heave . Dumb thing to do and he commented " It wouldn't have happened if you would have been with us because you would have recognized the need to get off the ice when the snow storm started and  it was getting dark." .............. Maybe I would have ...maybe not ...probably.

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2009, 01:20 PM »
I would never ever ever hit a big lake like Spirit without my GPS, a backup GPS, a cell phone, and a compass.  I could live without the backup unit...but the others are a must.  I don't think people are necessarily stupid...they are ill prepared.

PS - Did anyone see the tool kit driving the red ford high centered at Hales access??  I guess a couple guys from here offered to help him out and he sat in his truck while they dug....THE FIRST TIME HE WAS STUCK!  He did it again!  I drove on by...once is an accident...twice is poor decision making.

PPS - Did anyone see the guy riding the otter sled behind the ATV???  That looked fun...but snowy and cold.  I've ridden in a buddies but got engulfed in snow...
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline chevy hillbilly

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2009, 01:30 PM »
just reading about yall driving trucks on the ice is giving me the willies...
Its a surreal feeling the first time ya stand out in the middle of a frozen like, i can only imagine the funky feeling of driving over it in a truck!

HB 8)

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2009, 05:56 PM »
Just wait till your sitting in the shack and the ice shifts under you afew inches.

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:17 PM »
Use to do it.  Got older and chickened out.  Its a individuals choice and I' not going to call it.  Springs bother me which I didn't use to think about.

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2009, 10:21 AM »
after tonight even the most fearfull of thin ice won't have to worry for a while, except for the areas around the aerators, always dangerous!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2009, 10:42 AM »
I am guessing auger extensions will be needed by Feb 1st for Spirit.  Thickest ice I've drilled in a while.  More than Waubay at this time 2 years ago.  If access permitted...you could make a road from anglers to templar easily....I did it last weekend and never even flinched pulling an 850 pound quad behind my Expedition.  Ice is good and uniform even under the old drifts.  I would give a thickness but it exceded my ladle handle with the tape on it...so well over 20"

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2009, 02:20 PM »
When it comes to driving on the ice I have found:
 "The farther north one lives the braver you are."
 "After this week some of the southern boys will be brave too."

;D

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com