Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: GPS COORDINATES FOR SPIRIT LAKE  (Read 6882 times)

Offline vexaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: GPS COORDINATES FOR SPIRIT LAKE
« Reply #30 on: Jan 09, 2009, 09:29 PM »
Well fellas as I stated in another post that I'm thinkin about gwettin a gps unit....can anyone steer me in the direction of what would b a good unit for a 1st timer.I know there's several diff units availble at all kinds of prices....I don't mind spending some $ but I sure don't need anything to complicated for me LOL.Thanks
After two other complicated GPS's I bought the Lowarance H2O B&W and have finally got a GPS I can operate. Sure I had a few snags but the guys at Sheel's were very helpful. Even called for help when out on the lake a few times. Practice....Practice.. ..Practice.  I got the 07 Navionics map chip. I'm finding it is not accurate on most central Iowa lakes I fish. I can be on boat ramp and it will show my position in 15 FOW. Anybody else experience this?

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Jan 09, 2009, 09:47 PM »
Some of that will be in the sattelites. Is your unit WAAS capable?? This will get you much closer. My Expeditiong is normaly + or - 8 feet on a good day, a bad day maybe + or - 20 feet. Its all dependant on  what the sattelites will provide you.

Offline jmvsmv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 10, 2009, 12:08 AM »
I originally punched those coordinates in on my cheap explorist handheld, and it too showed two of them off the lake,  but when i pinned them on google earth they were all still on the lake,  have not actually hit the lake with them yet, when i do i will report back.  By the way the one that started out with 48 degrees i assumed was supposed to be 43

Offline fowlfoolr1979

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 11, 2009, 10:55 AM »
Same spot 2 of the coordinates showed up at for me once they were plugged into my H20C as well.  The other 2 spots were on the water but 2 of them were not.  Good thing the perch are so thick up there right now you don't even need coordinates to find them.  Just returned from there this morning and had a great trip.

Layne

Offline firedutch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:24 PM »
Just wondering what position format and map datum you used to load those?

Offline fowlfoolr1979

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 12, 2009, 03:29 PM »
I just loaded the coordinates into my Lowrance by putting the numbers into the enter waypoint function and they showed up on my map of Spirit as 2 waypoints on the lake and the other two are on land.

Layne

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #36 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:39 AM »
I will double check them...I have seen some basemaps that come with GPS to be wayyy off.  As in - we are going down the river and supposedly (acoording to the GPS) we are on a highway...
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 13, 2009, 01:51 PM »
I just loaded the coordinates into my Lowrance by putting the numbers into the enter waypoint function and they showed up on my map of Spirit as 2 waypoints on the lake and the other two are on land.

Layne

We ran into the same issue over the week end... BUT!!!! The ones that landed us on ice were H-O-T! Wouldn't be surprised to see a perch on the GPS if you could zoom in close enough. GREAT spot BojiHawk! Thanks for the numbers!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 13, 2009, 02:46 PM »
I'm glad to hear you smoked them.  I hope I put you on bigger fish.  When I say "hot spots" in Anglers..I mean places where I manged to consistently get a better year class of fish.  We have "little spots" and
"big spots"..as in size of fish.  Admittedly, there are many hot spots in Anglers, but I'm glad you guys capitalized on this info.  The fish move, fronts, etc...but at least it's a good place to start.  I went to little spots and found they are still little spots...found a few better big spots and eventually found some eyes in a very odd place...at least given what is near the location we caught them...they are not behaving in classic walleye movements...the nerve of those fish!  But here is how I dialed in my rig for the eyes:

Start truck
Hit lake
Drill a string of holes from shallow to deep water
Use vex to mark
Use camera to see
Repeat steps 3 through 5

There are walleyes on spirit.  First off...My fish were caught when I was far far away from anyone else.  Eliminate shanty town and swiss cheese ice...then use your head, drill, electronics (in that order).
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline fowlfoolr1979

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 13, 2009, 03:34 PM »
Right on Bojihawk....  There is an absolute ton of walleyes in Spirit!    ;D

Layne

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 13, 2009, 10:17 PM »
Bojihawk,

Were you on emerson on west on last Saturday?

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Jan 14, 2009, 08:20 AM »
Yup...for a little bit we fished the hump out near the main basin.  Couple small perch...not many marks.  My brother did find a novelty item:  He said he couldn't believe that someone would leave a garbage sack stuffed into the ice.  When he tried to pull it out, he realized it was someones toilet.  Not good....I was going to find the permy that matched the hole pattern and "return their items" for them.  If I had more time, I would have gotten Gary involved....but it would be tough to prosecute since no one could know when it was put there.  but as cold as it was...that had to be stuff in the hole within minutes of removing the shack or while it was still on the ice.  Total bull...very disrespectful of everything and everyone.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 14, 2009, 06:36 PM »
He had to swing through Emerson to see the Hill Billy Delux   ;D

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 15, 2009, 07:23 AM »
Dude...you know if I see the HBD....I'm going to want it.  Then I'm writing checks...we are haggling over the price...I'm calling furniture stores for replacement parts and upgrades...spinner rims and hydraulics...hittin da switches.   LOL...my brother was not that curious...until I mentioned the water bed frame.  Then he wanted to head over. 

Please tell me that thing has 8" rims...that is key...

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 15, 2009, 10:40 PM »
Brand spanking new 8" wheels in custom basic white. I'll have to take a pic of the beauty but worried it may cause a new craze in ice fishing trailers. This baby is a fine tuned customized ice shack hauling piece of equipment. Truly 1 of a kind, kinda like it's owner.

Just had a neat idea personal plates HBDLX  ;D

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 16, 2009, 07:19 AM »
Brand spanking new 8" wheels in custom basic white. I'll have to take a pic of the beauty but worried it may cause a new craze in ice fishing trailers. This baby is a fine tuned customized ice shack hauling piece of equipment. Truly 1 of a kind, kinda like it's owner.

Just had a neat idea personal plates HBDLX  ;D

custom basic white!!!  LOL...and the plates are def. necessary.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 02, 2009, 10:31 PM »
Any reason these coordinates wouldn't work this weekend? 

I'm finally getting a chance to fish Iowa and I'm planning on fishing Spirit Lake this Friday.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.