Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Spirit Lake Perch  (Read 10183 times)

Offline cdt80

• IceShanty Rookie
Spirit Lake Perch
« on: Jan 03, 2009, 01:03 PM »
Fished Anglers Bay on Friday for perch and had a steady bite all day.  Most were in the 8 to 9" range but did end up with half dozen in the 10" range.  We ended up keeping enough 9 inch perch to make a good meal for the 4 of us and the half dozen 10" went home for the wife and kids.  The perch bit on pretty much anything in the water with a spike on it.  Later we moved out to Stoney in about 20 feet of water for the walleye bite and caught a couple small eyes which we didn't keep.  Ice was 15+ in most places we checked.  Didn't bring my camera for pics but a very good day of fishing in our group.  Maybe the only drawback was that we had to lower our standards a bit to get enough perch meat for a good meal.  But that's perch fishing. 

Offline Icedog5001

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Spirit Lake Perch
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2009, 11:06 AM »
Was at the same place yesterday.  Hit the ice at 8 am. The bite was not as heavy but we caught about 30 between the four of us in the 8-10 range.  Nice day on the lake.  Most everyone was driving on the ice.  Would have stayed longer but the freezing rain was back at home and we had to leave about noon.
Golf, fish, golf, fish, golf, work, sleep.

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2009, 08:26 PM »
 Wax worm and a pilky the last two days in 20 FOW had good results, lots of perch.  Red or orange seemed to work the best.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2009, 08:55 PM »
Anyone getting into any decent ones ( 10" + ) I love a mess of perch but not fighting the hordes to catch short fish all day when I can limit on 9" gills on West.

Offline jmvsmv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2009, 11:50 PM »
We found that today the pilkie was the way to go,  we actually found blue and silver worked well,   when they came on our camera screens i could drop the pilkie onto the bottom and 3-4 would dive into the muck to get it, it was actually quite entertaining.  By about noon there were a lot of shacks, vehicles driving, and holes being drilled, and the fish vanished,  From around noon til around 2:30 we had maybe 10 fish swim through but a couple did stop and bite.   We left then to, for whatever reason, go home and watch the game.   We did see a half dozen or so walleye cruising around and a couple pike.  As for size we caught 0  at 10 plus and a couple 8-9 inchers.  We were set up and fishing by nine and was steady but not hot bite til about noon.  Starting to fall to the pressure maybe?  I did see that the line of shack was starting to spread further south towards big stoney.  We had set up mid to north end of the line.  Has anyone heard anything from around marble or buffalo run?

Offline barneyinswia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2009, 03:11 PM »
the gang from swia is still coming to the igls on thursday

stop by and say hy

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2009, 07:09 PM »
the gang from swia is still coming to the igls on thursday

stop by and say hy

I can't wait to head that way now that we have decided to go!!

Offline great white

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2009, 08:27 PM »
Give em hell Barney!

--Whitey

Offline NW Iowa Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2009, 12:34 AM »
Im going to let yall know whats really up!!  was there in the anglers bay area more towards stoney point and did very well! and i mean VERY well.  I fished for a day and probably caught about 100 perch with most between 9-12 inches fish on the camera all day!! only time there wasn't is when pike or walleye were strolling through.  Managed to catch my first muskie there too!!  A 30 incher on a tipup which was my first tip up fish too i tell ya what get a good map of the lake and find the 20 foot break line and find it and fish it.  I was there for two days and all together caught about 175 perch 4 pike and a muskie used a perch hali jig the whole time tipped with a minnow head DYNAMITE!!!

Bent Rods and tight lines!! :tipup:

there she is :D

Offline barneyinswia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2009, 06:51 AM »
thanks alot fishermanfromnwia !

i am two days from arriving and allready goin half nutz and you pull this on me

thanks man you rock

Offline cdt80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2009, 07:58 AM »
Thanks for the update NWIOWA.  I am also planning on being there again hopefully on Thursday and throughout the weekend.  Good to know the bite is still on.  Thanks again.

Offline Tomhusker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • We're making ICE boys!!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:15 AM »
Giggity!

Offline cdt80

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:28 AM »
Barney, I can tell you are feeling the hurt from not being there but if it makes you feel better, I just found out a couple of buddies are over there right now and I am here working getting the play by play on the lake.  Now that's painful! 

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2009, 08:44 AM »
Im going to let yall know whats really up!!  was there in the anglers bay area more towards stoney point and did very well! and i mean VERY well.  I fished for a day and probably caught about 100 perch with most between 9-12 inches fish on the camera all day!! only time there wasn't is when pike or walleye were strolling through.  Managed to catch my first muskie there too!!  A 30 incher on a tipup which was my first tip up fish too i tell ya what get a good map of the lake and find the 20 foot break line and find it and fish it.  I was there for two days and all together caught about 175 perch 4 pike and a muskie used a perch hali jig the whole time tipped with a minnow head DYNAMITE!!!

Bent Rods and tight lines!! :tipup:

(Image removed from quote.)
there she is :D

Anyone in particular turn you onto this spot NW Fisher???  ;-)
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Icedog5001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2009, 09:48 AM »
Are the Hali jigs available at the Lakes?
Golf, fish, golf, fish, golf, work, sleep.

Offline barneyinswia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:08 AM »
cant reply on the halis but the locals call these pillkiis and they are almost the same if not better

http://shuckslures.com/jiggerminnow.html

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 06, 2009, 03:00 PM »
Are the Hali jigs available at the Lakes?

Not sure but there is a similar jig called the shuck's jigger....aka the pillki.....

Offline Bigairjer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 06, 2009, 03:13 PM »
Now lets be quiet about the Pillki jig and just keep it to ourselves.  JUST KIDDING they work awesome on the perch.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2009, 03:53 PM »

I'm not going to give out the location of the Lost Ark of the Pilkis...but tilt your head to the left and squint....this is the first of several clues....
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2009, 06:17 PM »
Halis are aslo avalible at Stans or Shucks as are the Shucks Jiggers. Go Devils are another good bait to use.

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2009, 07:19 PM »
I have had alot of luck for perch with a small buck shot spoon. Just take the trebble hook off and put on a halli drop chain, and load with spikes.

Offline NW Iowa Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2009, 10:41 PM »
ALL OF MY SUCCESS IS GIVEN TO BOJI HAWK!!!  IF IT WASN'T FOR HIM I WOULD PROBABLY NEVER HAVE HAD THE AMAZING DAY I HAD!!!  sorry i forgot the first post was just really excited to let everyone know  ;)

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2009, 09:58 AM »
Thanks E....

I can appreciate your excitement.  I knew you guys would slaughter them.  I'm actually bored with yanking perch through that spot...and I'm glad I have people to help eat those critters...congrats on the musky boss!  NOT something I put you on...I have no musky hot spots! LOL....

I'm going to be in drill mode this weekend..my mission?  To seek out strange new fish on distant piles, reefs, breaks, drops...to boldy go where no man..has gone this week...LOL.

For the record:  Small appreciation of information will help you to get repeat reports.  I love to put people on fish...love to!  But...that is a 2-way street.  I'm very interested to hear how these spots are paying out...I might even go fish them myself again..but I get bored easily with same spots / same fish / etc.  I even got on a wiper obsession out here in NE...caught 3 in about 20 minutes and now I'm hooked..been back there twice and can't catch them again...but I will...tenacious is the word.

Offline Heinrix_54

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2009, 12:34 PM »
Ahhhhhh yes...........the wonderful Pilkie  ;D

Offline Bigairjer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 09, 2009, 07:18 AM »
So whats the story, is there anything biting in the lake or did the fish get glue mouth?

Offline fowlfoolr1979

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 11, 2009, 11:01 AM »
Just returned from there this morning.... let's just say you cannot keep the perch off the hook anywhere you go on that lake right now.  :)  Tons of sorting required.... Between 2 of us for two days fishing we caught close to 200 perch and had 1 fish that was 11", 4 that were 10", 5 that were 9" and the rest were almost all carbon copies of each other from 6-8".  The guys who are saying that they are hammering limits or getting a ton of nice fish must not be measuring their fish but saying "They look like 10" perch.)  Even had the DNR stop us yesterday and check licenses and fish and said wow you guys have some nicer perch than most guys I have checked.  :)  Tons of perch but most are small or at least small in my book of perch.  Hopefully in a few years once that size class gets bigger there will be some nice perch fishing as there was a few years back.

Layne

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2009, 08:32 AM »
You need to get away from shanty town.  I posted a while ago that the 10" perch thing was an eyeball - not a tape measurement.  I measured my big one...12.25"  The smallest was 9.75".  You need to keep drilling holes until you get out of the baby perch cloud.  Hang just outside of them...slower - but better fish.

Offline harrylee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2009, 03:43 PM »
little help here?
i fish a small lake in southern iowa that has perch,and i find them to be elusive,i seem to catch a few durring the ice season,but i know theres lots more to be had.i would like a little more info on the lure you guys are using,more on the order of how are you using them,or if nothing else come down and show me???

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2009, 05:58 PM »
Use some of the jigs you see in the picture above. I like to put two or three spikes on. and jig it just off the bottum and every ounce in a while bounce it off the bottum.

Offline SHANTYTOWN

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2009, 02:23 AM »
How is the bite??? thinking of pulling the trailer up and seeing how any pearch we can pick up. waxys or minnow?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.