Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Brushy  (Read 10918 times)

Offline firefighter3

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Brushy
« Reply #30 on: Jan 02, 2009, 02:05 PM »
When it comes to walleye i would start at the north end walking south till you see the old road on both sides of you. Fish over top of the road bed and try to get as close to the bridge as you can on that road. if no luck close to the bridge take off south-south east across the treeless area till you get to the next group of trees and try there. anywhere along that tree line.

Offline firefighter3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 02, 2009, 02:10 PM »
And obviously when i say road and bridge i mean the ones that are under the water not like a walk bridge over the water. you can get map lakes at duncombe gas and grocery usually or keiths outdoors in fort dodge. They are very helpful they got all brush piles rock piles and bridges marked and have GPS cooridnatesfor them. or just ask any other local thats already on the ice and they should be able to point you in the right direction

Offline M.DerekJacobi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 02, 2009, 04:47 PM »
Thank you FireFighter3.  Next time I go I will give it a try.  I did try looking for some pan fish at Brushy Creek on New Year's day but did not have any luck.  Sounds like the rest of the group around me was not having any luck either.  The ice was making a lot of noise, a lot of booming and cracking noises.  I think it may have been spooking the fish I know it was spooking me.  I am new to ice fishing and I have never experienced the ice behaving like it was.  At one point I heard a loud crack right next to me and the ice I was sitting on sank about 1/2".  That is when I new it was time to try another lake for the rest of the day.  I went to Briggs Woods just down the road but the Ice was doing the same thing.  Also, nobody was catching any fish there either which leads me to believe that the noise the ice was making was spooking the fish.  Did anybody have any luck on New Year's Day as Brushy?

Offline matt_hill_61

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 02, 2009, 07:53 PM »
Fished Brushy today from around noon to 3:30.  Me and my buddy caught three dink gills.  Marked a few fish but the few we marked wouldn't bite.  Fished the bay East of the North boat ramp and then moved to the oak trees 75 yards South of the boat ramp.  Talked to a few other guys and they weren't having any luck either.  Not sure why but the fish haven't really been biting the past few days.  Thinking about going back on Sunday morning.

Offline Chris868

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 02, 2009, 10:57 PM »
Firefighter3 question for you the bridge u are talking about would that be the first one or the second? Cause the second one has alot of rock piles around it and the first one has nothing around it according to the map. The way the map shows it is thirty feet on both sides of the creek channel but do you know how deep the creek channel drops off?

Thanks for the info. and good luck!

Offline xplicitgtp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 03, 2009, 10:11 AM »
First trip to Brushy resulted in 33 gills 5 crappie and 1 perch noon till dark (two guys). Best day I have had ice fishing ever. We were bout 1/4 mile south of north ramp. 18-22 foot of water. Very soft bites

Offline firefighter3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 03, 2009, 03:23 PM »
so xplicitgtp what day did you make this first trip to brushy cause lately where has not been a dang thing happening. my father in law went this morning (sat the 3rd) and caught a few little ones but nothing drastic. he was on south side by taylors island and i have heard north side not much better. i caught like 3 keepers on the 30th and a few tinys. saw them in cam but any jig movement scared them off. whats your trick??? ??? ???

Offline xplicitgtp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Jan 04, 2009, 04:25 PM »
We were there the 2nd, got there round 930 didnt catch anything till noon Sorry crapy cell phone in the dark! Used moon dance jig chartuse(sp) and glow with a waxie. 6"-18" off bottom. Very soft bites

Offline vexaholic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 04, 2009, 07:46 PM »
And obviously when i say road and bridge i mean the ones that are under the water not like a walk bridge over the water. you can get map lakes at duncombe gas and grocery usually or keiths outdoors in fort dodge. They are very helpful they got all brush piles rock piles and bridges marked and have GPS cooridnatesfor them. or just ask any other local thats already on the ice and they should be able to point you in the right direction
The Brushy Creek maps with the GPS coordinates is anybody finding them to be accurate or off. I have a Big Creek map with GPS coordinates and not having to good a luck with the ones I'm looking for.
Also is there a ice fishing tournament coming up on Brushy?

Offline crouch2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 04, 2009, 08:07 PM »
yes there one on the 10 of jan more info on http://duncombegg.com click on mikes fishing report

Offline Chris868

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 04, 2009, 09:12 PM »
Are the walleyes small in the lake cause it seems no one goes after them at least there are no posts about them? Just wondering if it is a waste of time to try and find them if they are all going to be on the small side. Has anyone heard if the walleyes in Brushy have any size? Thanks to firefighter for the info but if anyone else would know where a good starting point for walleyes all info is welcome!

Offline Icedog5001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:02 AM »
What is the status of the ice on Brushy?  Anyone driving out there yet?
Thanks
Golf, fish, golf, fish, golf, work, sleep.

Offline grizzwald660

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 05, 2009, 04:24 PM »
was there sat. the only vehicle on the ice was parked at the bottom of the ramp. i had about 10" of ice. it looks bad to me lots of cracks all over.

Offline xplicitgtp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #43 on: Jan 05, 2009, 07:11 PM »
Firefighter3 I entered rockpiles 14 and 13 (rp13/14 on DNR map) and it was way off I entered one more that was east of that and per my gps it was on dry ground. I never made it over to those rock piles nor did I take my GPS out on the lake to see if my map was correct. Im using Map Create 7. It might be a few years old but I doubt the lake has moved :)

Checked out http://duncombegg.com for info in the turney this saturday but I dont see any times or any other info on the turney. I might try to make it over if somone can give me the details.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #44 on: Jan 05, 2009, 08:59 PM »
Are the walleyes small in the lake cause it seems no one goes after them at least there are no posts about them? Just wondering if it is a waste of time to try and find them if they are all going to be on the small side. Has anyone heard if the walleyes in Brushy have any size? Thanks to firefighter for the info but if anyone else would know where a good starting point for walleyes all info is welcome!

the walleyes are very nice in the lake.  the reason for not many reports is it takes time and effort to pattern eyes there and those that do, don't want want the better spots over run. many locals know here to find them

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Chris868

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Jan 05, 2009, 10:31 PM »
I went today and fished from noon till 7:00 pm and never caught a fish and the way it sounded there wasnt very many other people doing any better. As for the walleyes I found both bridges and some rock humps using my gps and never marked a fish at any of the spots so I dont know if the info that I was given was just a way to waste my time or what! As for everyone that was on the ice today they were all friendly but no one was catching anything. Has anyone fished the south end of the lake around the island and if so is it worth the time to try it out or is that end of the lake as cold as the rest?

Offline firefighter3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 06, 2009, 05:54 AM »
well xplicitgtp i guess i dont know whats up with your gps i have not had much trouble with mine and apparently neither has Chris868 because he states he found both bridges and rock humps. granted he did not find fish. he found the habitat just noone was home.with brushy you never know.

Anyone know of any good farm ponds or smaller ice fishing venues around fort dodge/webster city or surrounding areas???

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Jan 06, 2009, 02:12 PM »
another fine example of futility on brushy today....4 hours, and 1 6"gill...
evenining bite still looks to be tolerable....but days anen't worth squat!!!

Offline firefighter3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Jan 07, 2009, 12:22 AM »
if day bites are turning up 3 to 4 fish all day how much faster is the night bight??? 1-2 fish per hour???? i may be going in the next day or two and it sounds like any chance is at night but is it worth it or should i go somewhere else??

As weird as it sounds my father in law says that twin lakes is on fire right now, all species are biting. he says that its the most action that lake has seen in years.

Offline M.DerekJacobi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Jan 07, 2009, 08:08 AM »
I was at Brushy Creek yesterday with my uncle. We fished behind the island on the south end.  Between the two of us we caught about 20 very small bluegills and two keeper bluegills.  When I filleted up the bluegills the meat was full of little black spots.  I looked it up on the internet and it is a fish parasite.  All the articles I read said it is safe to eat s long as you cook the fish properly but I still think it is gross.

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 07, 2009, 09:59 AM »
Just tell yourself it's pepper  :D
Pool 9 Pro

Offline M.DerekJacobi

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 07, 2009, 03:58 PM »
O great, now I can't eat pepper anymore.  Yuck!   :'(

Offline Chris868

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 07, 2009, 07:39 PM »
The parasite is actually tiny snails and it is harmless and you cant even see them after you cook them. The ones that are bad is when you fillet a fish and it has what looks like small wax worms in the fillets. now them are gross!! ;D

Offline great white

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 07, 2009, 08:34 PM »
Just more protien and flavor!

--Whitey

Offline J. Rosonke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Jan 07, 2009, 10:10 PM »
I helped a couple guys find a rock pile (24 I think) from the DNR coords at brushy yesterday and was within 6 feet of it.

Offline pistol54pete

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I flat out love the outdoors!
« Reply #55 on: Jan 08, 2009, 09:41 AM »
Just curious if the guys marked any fish.I really need to get a gps unit I'm thinkin.
If the ocean were beer & I was a duck...I'd swim to the bottom & drink myself up!

Offline J. Rosonke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 09, 2009, 01:24 AM »
Just curious if the guys marked any fish.

They didn't have any electronics and I don't think they caught anything on the rock pile. I put the camera down to find the rock pile and didn't see any fish while it was down.

Offline xplicitgtp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Jan 09, 2009, 06:56 PM »
anyone driving on the ice yet? Planning on being over there sunday afternoon

Offline crouch2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Jan 09, 2009, 07:10 PM »
was there tonight lots of trucks on the ice i pulled out my wheelhouse with my ford ranger ice 12 to 14 inches seen alot of full sized trucks out there too tomorrow is the ice tourny for the fire dept in lehigh 530 to 500

Offline firefighter3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Jan 11, 2009, 07:45 PM »
So i didnt make it to the tourney..... how did it turn out any big ones????? any fish at all????? last year was pretty weak. any locals win the good stuff.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.