Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Eskimo Mako auger problem  (Read 3476 times)

Offline teamhardcorefishing_cc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wiggle wiggle wiggle...Yea fish on
Eskimo Mako auger problem
« on: Dec 04, 2014, 09:55 PM »
I have a 1 season old gas auger that finally won't start at all. I had to take it to a shop today and won't be able to fish all weekend.  >:( Has any of you guys had this problem with this auger? I'm thinking about selling this auger (after it's fixed of course) and buying an electric one.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Eskimo Mako auger problem
« Reply #1 on: Dec 05, 2014, 06:42 AM »
Yeah. Switch was bad.
EYECONICFISHING

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 05, 2014, 07:40 AM »
Really? I did not check the switch. I pulled and clean the carburetor. Check spark plug and gave up. Just gonna have to see what they say.

Offline tricohatch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2014, 01:05 PM »
4 things that it needs to have to run, spark,timing,compression and fuel! Good luck ;D

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2014, 04:38 PM »
Buy a gas and hand auger from Strikemaster.  Rarely a issue in 25 + yrs of owning one. Always take care of it in the off season. When there is thin ice like now I only use hand auger lot less weight. My 2 pennies.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2014, 04:40 PM »
electric sucks for me. i hole hop too much

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2014, 12:54 AM »
electric sucks for me. i hole hop too much

Obviously you havent used or ran the new electric options.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 10, 2014, 05:05 PM »
Update: The auger is fixed. It was just flooded really bad. Good as new.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2014, 05:12 PM »
I learned a cool trick. If you suspect a flooded motor pull spark plugs wipe dry and leave out. Pull cord about a dozen times and put dry plug back in. Might need to prime 1 time and pull cord. Should start now.  ;D

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2014, 08:47 PM »
Obviously you havent used or ran the new electric options.

Yes I have. 100-150 hole days happen pretty regularly for me. Usually once a month at least

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2014, 10:00 PM »
Yes I have. 100-150 hole days happen pretty regularly for me. Usually once a month at least

Then you really obviously have not run an electric auger with any of the latest options out. If you had you'd ditch the gas. The only reason not to go electric is if you want a 10inch hole. I've ran a Jiffy Model 30 8in auger for years, one of the most solid well running & well known ice augers ever built. I moved to a clam plate with a milwaukee fuel 18volt brushless hammer drill with a 7in auger with lazer style blades. on a 4amp lithium ion battery. I have been getting around 40-50 holes an outing on 10inches of ice with one battery and still have life left in the battery. I got 2 batteries with the drill, another battery can get picked up fairly cheap. Not only that The 5amp battery is coming out soon. I have a nils 8in auger under the xmas tree I'm gonna put on it. I'll loose a few holes per battery, but usually don't drill much over 50 holes in a day......gps, knowing the lakes, ponds, & lake structure helps 😯

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2014, 07:24 PM »
Come to brushy in late january early feburary and we will see who is drilling holes for who and who is on fish

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 12, 2014, 02:54 AM »
Come to brushy in late january early feburary and we will see who is drilling holes for who and who is on fish

LOL, why would anyone go south? You need to try Bitter in SD late feb. I doubt brushy would even get 2 foot of ice most years. When you drill 150 holes a day with an auger that has an extention and ice so thick that you just break through the ice when the handle bars touch the ice then we will talk.

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #13 on: Dec 12, 2014, 04:54 PM »
We were drinng 30 to 35 inches last march. Ive done sodak and northern mn  as well. I am not gonna sit here and bicker with you over this. I will invite you and any electric auger to come try and keep up with me though.

Offline ramdriver

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring on the ice.
« Reply #14 on: Dec 12, 2014, 05:21 PM »
I say we all have our favorite's gas or electric but remember  our elders did it all by hand and didn't have this social media to compare.so guess we have the best there is for the times.heck I am thinking some new fangled laser deal might be the best.just my .02 lol

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #15 on: Dec 12, 2014, 08:08 PM »
   Accuse me for protrudin' here, if you so wish and I'll excuse an interloper of misnomers, above.       ;)

Continue only if you seek to know the truth regarding the differentiation of a few things associated with several aspects of ice fishing equipment, such as how batteries are rated.

One example is to attempt to purchase a battery by defining it as a 100amp or 1000 amp or even 30amp.

You know very well that's not how you refer to a battery.

Call them by the voltage they are capable of producing.   1 1/2 V. , 6V., 9V.  12V.  19.2V, etc.

The rating of a battery is a term used to determine the power (volts X amps) that can be expected for what period of time.

This is call Amp Hours ( how many amps for how many hours) A 12V, 10A battery "may" be expected to produce "about" 12V using 10A of power for "about" one hour. That same battery "may" give 10 hours of use if using only 1A of power at 12V.

Expect to see a slight fall off of Volts toward the end of the cycle.

Since there are no questions, I'll bow out. 

(Hm, the use of "may" and "about", above indicate a scarcity of absolutes, there being many variables, age of battery, percent of charge and temperature being three of concern.    YMMV )

Your mileage may vary.    ;)2 :bow:

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 13, 2014, 10:52 AM »
We were drinng 30 to 35 inches last march. Ive done sodak and northern mn  as well. I am not gonna sit here and bicker with you over this. I will invite you and any electric auger to come try and keep up with me though.

I'm afraid it be the other way around.

😱

Offline nwifisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2014, 07:58 PM »
Last year drilled roughly 100 holes in 45" of ice on one lake in NE SD. Be pretty tough to do that with an electric auger. There was a guy fishing by me with an Ion electric and his was dead after about 15 holes. I let him use my gas auger to drill a few more to stay on the fish.  We followed the school a solid quarter of a mile that morning and without a gas auger there is no way we could have done it.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 14, 2014, 08:09 PM »
Then you really obviously have not run an electric auger with any of the latest options out. If you had you'd ditch the gas. The only reason not to go electric is if you want a 10inch hole. I've ran a Jiffy Model 30 8in auger for years, one of the most solid well running & well known ice augers ever built. I moved to a clam plate with a milwaukee fuel 18volt brushless hammer drill with a 7in auger with lazer style blades. on a 4amp lithium ion battery. I have been getting around 40-50 holes an outing on 10inches of ice with one battery and still have life left in the battery. I got 2 batteries with the drill, another battery can get picked up fairly cheap. Not only that The 5amp battery is coming out soon. I have a nils 8in auger under the xmas tree I'm gonna put on it. I'll loose a few holes per battery, but usually don't drill much over 50 holes in a day......gps, knowing the lakes, ponds, & lake structure helps 😯
If I were to run a clam plate setup like yours I guarantee you that I'd stick with my solo gas auger. Electric augers aren't for everybody. I personally would never switch to an electric auger. Especially a drill. Maybe if I lived in southern Iowa and never went north. I bet 90 percent of the people out there would rather keep their gas auger over your drill plate setup.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Dec 14, 2014, 10:58 PM »
Sure guys........It doesn't work........only people/guides using them on the Ice fishing leauge tours in Northern Minn, but it wont work....😱.    LMAO

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.