Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Rathbun Lake  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Bbushong

• IceShanty Rookie
Rathbun Lake
« on: Dec 06, 2013, 08:19 AM »
I have fished several bass tourneys at lake Rathbun and have seen guys pull out some monster crappie. I was wondering if it is also good crappie fishing through the ice? Also curious about ice conditions and when you guys think it will be fishable. Any help would be appreciated!

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
Re: Rathbun Lake
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2013, 09:30 AM »
I think it would be good but the main lake doesn't freeze good if any . I've fished it open water and yes there are some big crappies there
Never to many short poles

Offline Bbushong

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2013, 10:42 AM »
Good to know! One spot I wanted to try was in the main lake but I think Ill forget about that one. Other spot is up in a cove so maybe Ill check it out next weekend to be safe. Thanks for your help.

Offline Trump

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2013, 12:17 PM »
Hey I live an hour east of rat we do a lot of open water fishing there in the summer the lake is known for crappie and beings its a river there is a lot of current so the main body is a gamble at best I know a lot of guys fish the creeks that feed in and some of the big bays on the south side are good but I'm tellin ya be careful specially early and late when the fishing awesome take a friend and a rope we fished it late one year and caught all 4 limits quick nice big crappie went back the next day and couldn't get to our shelf because the ice turned over night we watched a quad go in and even an Irish setter named Jessie ( I know the name because then guy was screaming at the dog for 10 mins) everyone got out.  That's the only place I went swimming we were on 6" of good ice and I took off for the other tent our friends were in and next thing I know I was in up to my chin.  I was 40 feet from the tent and luckily they heard it and was out quick but we caught some nice fish

Offline Bbushong

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2013, 07:59 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Trump. I have to say I'm a little worried to drive down there now! If I do I'll wait until there is good ice and stay off the main lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.