Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: the end is near  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Rehtnug185vx

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • what do you mean I got too much stuff?!?):
the end is near
« on: Mar 07, 2010, 12:08 AM »
with all this rain and warm weather in the forcast   it prolly wont be long before the seasons over  looks like i'll have to head to texas to catch some monsters now   warm weather here i come ;D ;D ;D
SHAPPELL   STRIKEMASTER   MARCUM

Offline shawner30

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: the end is near
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2010, 08:10 AM »
Any reports on ice conditions in east central Iowa?

Offline Big fish tuck

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I love the winter
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2010, 10:09 AM »
I went out this morning and still had about 18 inches in Des Moines
catch some leave some

Offline SLABSLAMMER

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2010, 11:41 AM »
Still got 10 -11 nches on Hamilton , just depends on where your at in state.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2010, 12:42 PM »
Over a foot here, but the next 5 days are going to have highs in the 50's, lows in the 40's and rain. Bass fishing here I come!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2010, 12:59 PM »
Rain forcasted here to but nothing over upper 30's. Had 21" of good hard clear ice on West, heard more on Spirit. Buddy claims he's bottoming out on his Jiffy.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2010, 08:26 PM »
The end is very near (like Wednesday if the forecast is right) in Johnson County.  :'(

I fished a small pond near IC this evening again--caught quite a few sunnies, although the average size was a little small. Got a couple largemouth, too.

There is still about 8" of good clear ice below 2-3" of white ice and mush over deep water, but I got my boots muddy tonight, as the shoreline ice is getting mushy. Last night the shoreline ice held me up. A person might be able to get out after tomorrow with a plank on the shore, but I think even the good ice there over deeper water is going to go bad very quickly.

I am pretty sure I can still get out tomorrow night if it doesn't rain, and I intend to do so. However, I expect tomorrow night to be my last ice fishing trip around Iowa City this winter.  :( We are supposed to have highs around fifty, lows above freezing, and after tomorrow rain for four days in a row. That'll be it for this winter down here.

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2010, 06:33 PM »
I made my last ice trip of the season in Johnson County tonight.  :(

Still about 7" of hard clear ice below 2-3" of white ice and slop over deep water on a small pond. I think we lost an inch or so of good ice since last night, but I felt safe. The shorelines are no mushier than they were last night.

If the rain stayed away we might have had a few more days around Iowa City yet, but the forecast says it is supposed to start raining tomorrow (Tuesday) morning, and not stop until Friday. That'll be all she wrote for Johnson County, folks.

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2010, 06:51 PM »
I think we will get a few more days up here. Was on 20" of ice yesterday and plan on going out for the last time on Sat. Will be taking a plank just in case. Will also have a buddy and a rope just in case.

Offline walleyewinder23

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good things come to those who bait.
« Reply #9 on: Mar 10, 2010, 05:52 PM »
YAHOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! I JUST CAN'T WAIIIIIIT TO GET TO SPRING CRAPPIE FISHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D I love it!!! I caught about 100 last year in less than an hour at Norwalk's lake. Walleye fishing is good too. ;)

Offline MidnightRambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 10, 2010, 07:07 PM »
Checked a couple of ponds around Iowa City tonight on my way home. We had a fair bit of rain yesterday, and temps well above freezing since Sunday.

The ice has pulled a foot or so away from the shore in most places, and where water flows in there are now small open patches. Lots of water on top of the ice. The ponds are still 95% covered with ice, but it doesn't look like good ice at all.

Like I said a couple days ago: a guy could still get on the pond ice down here with a plank or high boots, but I am not at all sure what ice is there would still hold a person. I myself am not going to try it, and do not recommend anyone else around Johnson County trying it, either.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.