Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: ice on IGL's  (Read 2773 times)

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
ice on IGL's
« on: Mar 08, 2009, 10:26 PM »
I'm thinking about making one last run up north next weekend for some ice fishing. How are ice conditions on spirit or West O?

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: ice on IGL's
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2009, 08:30 AM »
You can walk but I wouldnt drive. Some shore areas might be getting unsafe where water runs in. Its sposed to get cold again Tu-Th. We will be icefishing for a couple weeks I would guess. As of Satuday there was still trucks driving out. Good Luck.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline jmvsmv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2009, 09:09 AM »
We fished on Spirit on Sunday.  Due to the weather in the morning i guess there were very few people out on the lake.  Not until the afternoon did we see only 1 truck drive out there. Not sure where he got on at though.  There was close to 20" or better, i didn't actually measure just estimating.  The bottom 8-10 was very clear ice, the rest was starting to get a little less clear.  We walked on at Miniwakan and pretty much straight south of the ramp and a little west 3/8 mile and found that much ice.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2009, 01:50 PM »
thanks for the info guys.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline BucksNDucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 18, 2009, 09:59 AM »
Lake of the Woods has over 4 ft of ice still! We used an extention and the head went all the way to the ice!!!
See ya on the ice!!! Go Packers!!!

Offline jmvsmv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 24, 2009, 09:14 AM »
I was out on Saturday late afternoon on what i would call spongy ice, for what will be the last ice trip this year.  Just curious after last nights rain, how much open water is there?  How soon til we can get boats in and go after some slabs? 

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 24, 2009, 02:47 PM »
^

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 24, 2009, 08:43 PM »
I was out on Saturday late afternoon on what i would call spongy ice, for what will be the last ice trip this year.  Just curious after last nights rain, how much open water is there?  How soon til we can get boats in and go after some slabs? 

I was out there about that time. Were you the guys moving from hole to hole without a shack? I was there from 3:00 to 6:30. I was straight out in a Clam Yukon.

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Mar 24, 2009, 08:49 PM »
I was one of the guys jumping from hole to hole with out a shack. Always good to get one last day in. Not to bad of a year. Thanksgiving weekend to March 21.

I was out there about that time. Were you the guys moving from hole to hole without a shack? I was there from 3:00 to 6:30. I was straight out in a Clam Yukon.

Offline J_Jaacks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 24, 2009, 09:13 PM »
That is cool. I had a good time. Stopped by the grade on the way home. That ice was worse. Every where there was a lilly pad it was like an open hole. Still had fun though. I think that was my last time out. Hope you did well too.

Offline jmvsmv

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 25, 2009, 12:30 AM »
We were straight out from Miniwakan, two of us no shack. We drilled two holes each and sat there, i was actually just trying out my new LX5 was the main reason we went out there, catching a few fish was the bonus!!  I suppose we got there about 5:15 or so, there were 3 or 4 guys leaving when we got there  one other guy (one of you two?) that was doing a little hole hoppin.  We sat there til about 7:30 caught about 25 perch one 10 incher, and my buddy caught 2  9.5" walleye.  One of the guys we talked to up in the parking lot before we got on the ice said he caught a couple walleyes, i think he said one was a 2.5 pounder.  It was definitely cool to be out there when it was so warm, but that did create a little pucker factor when moving around................ .

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 25, 2009, 07:02 PM »
East is wide open and docks going in already, Spirit went out today, West will follow shortly.

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2009, 09:24 PM »
We left around 3 or 3:30 so it must not have been me. We were straight out from the trail park at anglers bay. we didnt catch any walleyes. We did get some nice crappies and blue gills and a few nice perch. Time to go to SD and catch some walleyes on the river. Good luck to everyone this summer.

We were straight out from Miniwakan, two of us no shack. We drilled two holes each and sat there, i was actually just trying out my new LX5 was the main reason we went out there, catching a few fish was the bonus!!  I suppose we got there about 5:15 or so, there were 3 or 4 guys leaving when we got there  one other guy (one of you two?) that was doing a little hole hoppin.  We sat there til about 7:30 caught about 25 perch one 10 incher, and my buddy caught 2  9.5" walleye.  One of the guys we talked to up in the parking lot before we got on the ice said he caught a couple walleyes, i think he said one was a 2.5 pounder.  It was definitely cool to be out there when it was so warm, but that did create a little pucker factor when moving around................ .

Offline BucksNDucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Mar 27, 2009, 09:41 AM »
The river sounds great!!! i guess they are catching some nice limits on francis case, sharpe, and oahe. the northern third of each resovoiur is holding more fish right now but i guess they can be caught anywhere. Minnows and crappie rigs seem to be working! I talked to a guy who between two guys caught their limit of 8. all between 15" and 19" with a small northern too. Chamberlain area... good luck
See ya on the ice!!! Go Packers!!!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #14 on: Mar 27, 2009, 07:11 PM »
You guys love burnin gas....caught limits last sunday (same as the 2 before that one)....hit my best there @ 4.5 lbs - 25".  Some HUGE northern in shallow water on the islands.  Chamberlain...maybe.  Francis is good near the Crow and will pick up...but the Niobrara area..man.  Takes a while to get a feel for that area...she's a bit touch an go with snags and dead heads drifting after the thaw.  We beached it up 3 weeks ago...in about 4" of snow on the ramp and islands...took about 30 min in the water to turn his 1850 180 degrees to push out the way we came in.  But...the quality of fish is nuts...19" there is about our average.  Sorry on this one...no GPS points...buddy takes me and we rarely see people near us.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.