Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Dog Creek  (Read 774 times)

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Dog Creek
« on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:56 PM »
I went out there last night, I first noticed only one other guy was out there and the lake didn't show much fishing pressure.  This was a big change from what I remember a couple years back before I relocated to Montana, usually the dam and crappie corner looked like swiss cheese with lots of hard water fisherman piled up in the 'hot spots'.  I kind of figured it would be dead under the circumstances but I still bucketed 17 8-10 inch crappies, lots of sorting, bite was steady from 5-7pm and then tapered off.  Seems like it's still great fishing to me, not even a permy out there this year and it's usually good for a couple.

Probably my last visit out there for a couple more years, I wish I had more time to fish all my old Iowa honey holes.

Offline Icedog5001

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Dog Creek
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2009, 09:16 AM »
Is this the Dog Creek in O'Brien County?
Golf, fish, golf, fish, golf, work, sleep.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2009, 09:22 AM »
Sure is.

Offline Icedog5001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2009, 01:59 PM »
Nice to hear something is biting there.  Any advice on how to get them in the bucket?

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2009, 04:01 PM »
I was fishing in the northwestern(towards the dam from the beach) corner in 15 FOW using a white glow tear drop tipped with a minnow. I got a few bites on spikes but nothing like the way they were all over the minnows.  I also tried a hali and a pilki but didn't get much going with them, one rod was keeping me plenty busy and other baits didn't get much attention. 

I have fished out from the beach clear to the spillway with good luck in the past, mainly I fish the section from the western edge of the beach to the corner and my other favorite spot is just slightly to the north of the spill way out about 40 feet.  I usually fish anywhere from 15-20 feet deep, sometimes up to 25 but it's rare, live minnows are almost always my bait of choice.  Many nights I've fished from dark until 10 or later constantly moving to find the schools.  My favorite jigs are tear drops, genz bug, genz worm and frostee with a drop chain.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions ask away.

Offline Icedog5001

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2009, 09:04 AM »
I do thank you for the information. I live in the Cherokee area and Dog Creek is alot closer than the Lakes.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2009, 09:25 AM »
I grew up in Cherokee.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2009, 09:57 PM »
Oh yes, in case you don't have a vex or marcum I usually keep my bait around 8-10 feet as the fish are suspended a 2-6 feet from the bottom and feed up.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.