Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: rain/warm weather  (Read 795 times)

Offline therealjt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Oh i wish i was a fishing
rain/warm weather
« on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:31 PM »
i'm new to ice fishing this year.

what is this rain predicted for friday and the temps at 50 going to do to the ice? everywhere i have been fishing this week is a good 10"+

special safety percautions needed with the rain and warmth?

jt

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: rain/warm weather
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:36 PM »
Shouldnt hurt the ice any. Might put some slush on top but it wont hurt the ice under it. Its supposed to be above freezing for 5 days straight here so we will probably get alot of slush.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2009, 06:05 PM »
Our highs here have been backed off to the upper 30's(thankfully) but we were -1 last night and to be -7 tonight. That coupled with little snow cover on the ice will make more ice before then.All the snow cover should be gone after this weekend shouldn't effect the 20+" we have around here as the sun is not high enough in the sky to melt much more than a little snow.

Offline Big_Ron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2009, 06:14 PM »
I agree it will not hurt it we will be around 50* and raining but it should just melt the snow which would be nice because its hurting the fishing anyway. it will get cold again to refreeze. If it hurts anything it will just be the edges we got around 18" here.

Offline riverbottoms

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Hardcore
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2009, 06:29 PM »
Actually the rain will help get rid of the snow cover and hopefully put a little oxygen back into the water which will help with the midwinter slow bite that we're having.

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2009, 09:14 PM »
Good to here some positive thinking.  The weather should definitely help the bite!  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.