Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: DNR drops plan to raise license fees  (Read 1500 times)

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
DNR drops plan to raise license fees
« on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:44 AM »
(Rant on)
C'mon! They didn't have a problem raising cig prices during hard times, but when it comes to the majority of the people that actually want the increase and who utilize it the most, are the ones getting shot down.  Are the politicians that out of touch that they don't realize that.  If they are worried about losing the casual fisher due to a 6 dollar increase then get real, I find more change on the ground in a year.  Besides people spend more on bait for one day then this measly increase. 
(Rant off)

I guess I could understand someone that hunts, traps, and fishes.. it probably starts to add up.. but even at that, tuck a few extra bucks away each month and viola. 
Maybe I'm missing something, but if someone who is against this increase can explain why they shouldn't increase the fee I'd be more than happy to listen. 
Pool 9 Pro

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: DNR drops plan to raise license fees
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:45 AM »
Pool 9 Pro

Offline Iowa ice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If the bobbers under set the hook.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2009, 07:12 AM »
I buy a fur fish and game license every year, along with numerous Deer tags, and a sportsman license for trot lineing the Mississippi. That increase woulda killed me. I don't believe that we, as sportsman, should betheONLY ones to fit the bill for the outdoors. There are alot of people that use our trails, andlakes forother things, other than hunting anf fishing. Why shouldn't they help? This is just my .02 I'm not agin an increase mind you, but that was a lil extreme.

Lance
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "............Holy crap.............what a ride!"

Offline Big_Ron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:15 AM »
I am with Iowa ice. I fish the Mississippi here and we have not seen any improvements what so ever it is going down hill if they would a said an increase to improve fishing and hunting area's here in eastern Iowa along with western I would have said go for it, but eastern Iowa right now is going down hill every year for fishing and hunting would be nice to see improvements here but in Illinois we see improvements every year. I can get a non res fishing license in Illinois for about the same price as a res fishing license here in Iowa. Illinois is cheaper and better improvements Hmmm maybe Iowa needs to see how they can do it just my 2 cents just an opinion of my own.

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2009, 10:55 AM »
I buy a fur fish and game license every year, along with numerous Deer tags, and a sportsman license for trot lineing the Mississippi. That increase woulda killed me. I don't believe that we, as sportsman, should betheONLY ones to fit the bill for the outdoors. There are alot of people that use our trails, andlakes forother things, other than hunting anf fishing. Why shouldn't they help? This is just my .02 I'm not agin an increase mind you, but that was a lil extreme.

Lance

You raise some good points that I didn't think about Lance.  I wish I had that amount of time on my hands to do all those things, I can barely go ice fishing.. haha.  I still think they should of increased however, instead of scrap it completely though- they should have toned it down a bit.. or something.  It's only going to make things worse with time.  I think working with that type of reactive attitude toward our natural resources is only going to cost more money in the long haul, or at least that's how I see it.  
THanks for sharing too, I didn't think about the others that use the lakes and rivers ,etc.  
Take it easy.
Pool 9 Pro

Offline Bullhead King

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Diehard Chicago Bears Fan!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2009, 12:42 PM »
I agree everybody that uses the resources should have to help foot the bill, and this includes bird watchers, nature photographers, bikers, pleasure boaters, people who picnic etc.

As for those that say it costs too much, I would bet that they don't even think twice when it comes to buying that case of Budweiser at $16 or a carton of Cigarettes at whatever it costs $35-$45, I am not a smoker and have no idea.  One less case of beer or carton of cigarettes and you have the increase covered.  Problem solved.

But everyone who uses should help pay.  I think we need that percentage of a sales tax like Missouri has, then everybody pays their share.

Offline Iowa ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2009, 12:55 PM »
Again I'm not agin an increase, but that was a bit much. Like I said, we, outdoors peoplefit thebill on every thing. Big Ron brings up a very good point. Over here in Eastern Iowawe have less and less area. How bout we let them big a@@ barges fit thebill for once. After all THEY are ruining our back waters. I belong to Hunter4ia.com We are start up deal that is trying to address all these issues. There are some great minds behind it. I encourage all Iowans to go on and take a look. Tell that Lance aka: Long Grove labs sent you over. I think that you would really enjoy it. We could deffenetly use more fishing guys on there any way.

Lance
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "............Holy crap.............what a ride!"

Offline Big_Ron

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2009, 02:24 PM »
I checked the site out but its www.hunters4ia.com

Offline pwking

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2009, 02:31 PM »
First post here - sorry it is on a possibly touchy subject but I can't let these go by without offering my 2 cents.

I don't want the increase. I already purchase a furbearers, wildlife stamp, fishing license, deer tag, doe tags, concealed weapons permit, and hunting license. They are constantly raising our fees (taxes) without habitat improvement. My donation to Pheasants Forever gets utilized much more efficiently.

The state will just continue to take without being held accountable. My thoughts are if you want improvements, donate to the IDNR or whatever organization represents your interest best. There is no sense in forcing all of us to waste our money on state bureaucracy.

By the way, I've been lurking here for quite a while and absolutely love this site. Thanks for having me!

Offline Perkeyone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2009, 04:57 PM »
Just like alot of other people have stated I purchase hunting,trapping,fishing waterfowl stamps (both state and federal),turkey tags,deer tags,boat registration,the list goes on. Lets start a license fee on bicycles that share the highways to fund the bike trails. Not the Iowa sportsmen and women. Perkeyone

Offline Woody61

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:09 PM »
I'm in agreement with you guys,don't mind the increase if I see them use to improve the outdoors/habitat. It's always been the hunters and fishers who foot the bill for everything. Would like to see the bikers and day use people carry their own weight for a change.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:16 PM »
They denied it because it would make an out of state hunter/fisherman pay well over $150 a year to hunt and fish. Plus if you were a deer hunter it would cost you nearly $300 to shoot a deer for out of state people.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Bullhead King

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Diehard Chicago Bears Fan!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:40 PM »
Great discusion and I am just keeping it going, but could it be possible that the reason they could not do any additional improvemnts to the outdoors and habitat is because they don't have the funding in their budget to do the improvements.  They can only do so much. 

And as for PF how does it get utilized more effectively?  Sure they create habitat on PRIVATE ground that only a select few.  That is more of a who you know organization.  In our area usually a buddy/buddy deal (PF will help pay for seed and labor if you only allow our committe members to hunt it type deal) and good luck for the rest of us trying to get to hunt it.  Sure they can help purchase more public hunting ground, but you are back to needing more funds to manage it.  Maybe it is just how our local chapter runs but they make me puke. :sick:

As for the non residents fees, oh well, if we went and did the same, hunt/fish, in another state we would be paying a ton as well.  The nonresident MN fishing family license is already $50.50 for the year.  As for non resident deer hunting I feel it should be an earn a buck tag for them.  They must shoot a doe first in their zone and check it in to a check station BEFORE they are even issued a buck tag.  We all know the only reason they come here in the first place is to shoot a monster buck.

Like I said before it should be a percentage of a sales tax like in Missouri so everybody helps pay the bill.

Offline Iowa ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:14 PM »
I personally don't careif costs  the Nonresidents $1000 to comein here andshootan IOwa monster. In fact I think it shouldcost that much. Why shouldn't they pay a premuim forourbig bucks?

Offline Perkeyone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2009, 07:47 PM »
I personally don't care if cost's the Nonresidents $1000 to come in here and shoot an Iowa monster. In fact I think it should cost that much. Why shouldn't they pay a premium for our big bucks?
Right until you want to go to another state and purchase a licence and they have reciprocated the prices. Do unto others as you would have done to you????? Perkeyone

Offline Iowa ice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2009, 08:20 PM »
I understand that. I have NO problem with that. Haveyou looked at what it cost to go hunt some of our neighboring states? NOT cheap.

Lance

Offline Perkeyone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2009, 08:35 PM »
I understand that. I have NO problem with that. Haveyou looked at what it cost to go hunt some of our neighboring states? NOT cheap.

Lance
That's why I posted that, shortly after Iowa jacked up their fees I went to Nebraska to deer hunt. Thanks Perkeyone

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.