Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Trip reports....  (Read 2041 times)

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
Trip reports....
« on: Feb 02, 2009, 12:57 PM »
I've been seeing a trend on this site..here it comes! (rant button on):

I find it fantastic that we are all taking trips and I for one like to give people all the info they need or any help I can provide.  Trips aren't cheap.  So I feel that helping each other is the way to go...

But...the most important part is REPORTING ABOUT YOUR TRIP WHEN YOU GET HOME.  I have watched several threads (mostly on other states) when people with 3-10 posts get on and want bait shop info, ice thickness reports, location advice, ad infinitum.  Then...2 days after they are supposed to be back from the trip, you never see them on here again.  The post-trip information is the most important part....so... POST trip information.  You get as good as you give...trip information isn't "we caught some little ones and a few nice ones at sundown"  Tell the story...it is valuable info for all...I can guarantee you that it will be returned someday.  Even posting you got skunked at least tells people something...

(RANT BUTTON OFF)  I've been waiting forever for this guys report who I helped last week since I'm going there in a while myself.  He got back Sunday AM....so far....not a peep.  I just find that courtesy is waning between sportsman in general.  Remember...we're the good guys   ;D
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Trip reports....
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2009, 01:05 PM »
I got no reports, the ice fishing gods are against me this year.   :laugh:  I know how you feel though, you try and help fellow anglers out and more often than not once they get what they need your forgotten. We do need to hook up yet sometime this year, last season on the HBD, shes being retired after this season for a pick up.

Offline icerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If your bobbers gone put on another one
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2009, 01:30 PM »
Hey bojihawk, were you out on 12 mile this weekend?  I posted on the dnr 3 and 12 mile post on how we did.  brought home 42,  9 inch sunnies, one walleye, and lost 2 other walleyes right below the ice (keepers). Caught in 25 feet of water. we couldn't fine fish around structure. We were not to far from the access by the water plant. It took us about 3 hours to fined them. Did ya see a little red geo out there. If you see a little red geo come say hi.  We caught all of our fish between 2:30 and dark.  I do agree, if someone gives ya a tip, you should return the favor. hey good luck on your next trip.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2009, 02:17 PM »
Yes sir...saw that report.  Very good...glad you guys tore it up...and thanks for posting...that rocks.  I'm heading up north on wed night...going to try some of the lakes that have been snowed in...hoping the downed fishing pressure and being beat in the mouth with arctic highs got those chubby yellow guys in the biting mood.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2009, 02:21 PM »
I got no reports, the ice fishing gods are against me this year.   :laugh:  I know how you feel though, you try and help fellow anglers out and more often than not once they get what they need your forgotten. We do need to hook up yet sometime this year, last season on the HBD, shes being retired after this season for a pick up.

dude...you need to ebay the HBD....I won't let it go without a fight....LOL..

Yeah...we do need to get some line in the water yet...and, after the snow melts...I would let you take me musky fishing...!  ;-)

I was thinking about getting some heavier gear anyway....I'm not tired of ice fishing by a long shot.  But I would be lying if I said throwing some big bucktails or crank baits doesn't sound dam fun....

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2009, 03:26 PM »
I've been seeing a trend on this site..here it comes! (rant button on):

I find it fantastic that we are all taking trips and I for one like to give people all the info they need or any help I can provide.  Trips aren't cheap.  So I feel that helping each other is the way to go...

But...the most important part is REPORTING ABOUT YOUR TRIP WHEN YOU GET HOME.  I have watched several threads (mostly on other states) when people with 3-10 posts get on and want bait shop info, ice thickness reports, location advice, ad infinitum.  Then...2 days after they are supposed to be back from the trip, you never see them on here again.  The post-trip information is the most important part....so... POST trip information.  You get as good as you give...trip information isn't "we caught some little ones and a few nice ones at sundown"  Tell the story...it is valuable info for all...I can guarantee you that it will be returned someday.  Even posting you got skunked at least tells people something...

Well put Boji.
Pool 9 Pro

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2009, 04:03 PM »
Just got back from a trip to Mille Lacs Lake in MN. Had a very good time spent two nights out on the ice. Caught 40 some Jumbo perch. One over 13 and 2 just under 13. We hired a guide the first full day we were there. Well worth the money. Wasn't two impressed with the outfitter we went threw. Lots of FUN.

Offline icerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 02, 2009, 04:24 PM »
Hey Jacobh73 I grew up on that lake, I know it very well. I have over a hundred gps marks on that lake alone.  Were you on one of the many flats or were you in the rock down south, or in the sand up north?  I havent fished that lake for a year now, I try to go during christmas break but didn't get a chance this year.  How was the walleye bite? and did you get any white fish?  Very cool that you were in my stomping grounds. Good job on the jumbos, I am glad they are coming back.

Offline Wally Lindner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2009, 06:58 PM »
  If you're going up north don't go to Otter Tail area.  Two foot of snow on the ice and the lake is flooding.  Three days fishing with five guys and caught only twenty fish, biggest walleye was just short of fourteen inches.  You will need tracks on that four wheeler or a snowmobile to get around.  The reports on Red Lake are very good right now as you probably know.

Offline KrappieSlayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2009, 05:15 AM »
Just got back from a trip to Mille Lacs Lake in MN. Had a very good time spent two nights out on the ice. Caught 40 some Jumbo perch. One over 13 and 2 just under 13. We hired a guide the first full day we were there. Well worth the money. Wasn't two impressed with the outfitter we went threw. Lots of FUN.

Guide + Lots of Jumbo Perch = Mayfly hatch??? 
Can't wait until we can get up there!  Glad ya had a great time.  If you could PM me your guide info and costs I would be appreciative, we think the one we are gonna line up is wayyy too much!
Pool 9 Pro

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2009, 04:30 PM »
Guide + Lots of Jumbo Perch = Mayfly hatch??? 
Can't wait until we can get up there!  Glad ya had a great time.  If you could PM me your guide info and costs I would be appreciative, we think the one we are gonna line up is wayyy too much!

They had tons of them in their mouths when we caught them.

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2009, 04:32 PM »
Hey Jacobh73 I grew up on that lake, I know it very well. I have over a hundred gps marks on that lake alone.  Were you on one of the many flats or were you in the rock down south, or in the sand up north?  I havent fished that lake for a year now, I try to go during christmas break but didn't get a chance this year.  How was the walleye bite? and did you get any white fish?  Very cool that you were in my stomping grounds. Good job on the jumbos, I am glad they are coming back.

We stayed on the south end. But we fished in the middle, 3 mile gravel and 9 mile flat. I pretty sure thats where we were. LOL

Offline icerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2009, 09:20 AM »
 ;D

Offline icerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2009, 11:34 AM »
9 mile is a great flat to fish, 3 mile gravel bar I have had ok luck.  When the houses come off another great area on the south end, west side called Rocky Reef.  very good for jumbos out from the gas station in about 20-28  feet of water. I don't know if youare going there again, but if you get a chance to go in April I would try the sand on the north end specially when the snow melts off the lake.  Off the flats in 35 feet of water is great for jumbos and tullies ( white fish) I hope I spelled that right. ;)  If you do go up there again good luck. 
That's one lake I truly miss.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2009, 03:26 PM »
Banana reef...if you got the pair to get out there.   ;)   I've had some great spring and fall action...always want to get out to those further, less pressured reefs in the winter.  If there's a path to it...I drive by it.  As long as you CAN drive by them...LOL.

Offline icerod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2009, 03:46 PM »
banana, blue jug, and Phil's are all great little flats that hold a lot of fish, getting to them is the problem sometimes because of the breakers.  Some resorts wont plow to those flats so you need a ATV or snowmobile to get to them. But it is a lot of fun fishing where  there has been very little pressure.  The needle is another very little flat and has lots of fish.

Offline magnusthebigbrownlab

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2009, 03:59 PM »
Boji-

Come meet us out at Spirit this weekend, man!  You'll get your "in field" reports first hand!  It'd be cool to have a local out there with us...unless you're not cool, in which case, stay the hell home!  (Kidding...thanks again for the advice.)
Be professional.  Be polite.  But always have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Offline onemore

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • good boy
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2009, 07:19 PM »
Sorry.  Thanks for the help up north.  I'm guilty.  It just seemed like once we met face to face I wasnt the fisher you were looking for.  Been meaning to call and had plenty of time.  SORRY.  We made a trip up north Jan 9-11 the fishing was great the only problem was the quality.  Lots of 7-8in. perch.  But only managed 11 fish between 3, in 2 and a half days.  I think I will wait till late in the season for the the next trip.  Word of advise anyone who is going to the IGLS  Fish SHALLOW.  Im talking under 7ft pref. 4.  Fish for gills and the perch will come.  Thanks BOJI

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.