Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: lake rathbun  (Read 1092 times)

Offline fireball122809

• IceShanty Rookie
lake rathbun
« on: Jan 28, 2009, 08:29 PM »
 Has anyone been out on lake rathbun fishin and if so where at and whats the ice like ?

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: lake rathbun
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2009, 10:13 AM »
Would like to know also was wondering about the water clarity and lake level.  Went to red rock and it looked like chocolate soup.

Offline bogey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 29, 2009, 07:22 PM »
Hey TRCrappie,did you happen to stop by Roberts Creek,just wondering, heard good reports on open water fishing there from my neighbor nice crappies according to him.

Offline cropee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 29, 2009, 07:23 PM »
I know it has been really slow some smaller crappies have been caught mostly 7 inch fish.
Fishing report says some walleyes but I think that is few and far inbetween.
I am considering going this weekend though been a couple weeks since anyone i know has been down there????
Ice thickness is mostly safe everywhere except for the springs areas and that is mostly noticeable
Good Luck
Atleast if the fish are not biting you can always find a new brush pile to fish in the spring bring your camara and look for a group of holes drilled like someone was looking for a brush pile.

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 29, 2009, 07:51 PM »
Bogey tried Roberts Creek also did not have that good of luck their either.  Was skunked for the day between the places.  Some small gills on the ice.  Fish finder was flashing light green lines so I am assuming that their is alot of shad or small bait fish in the lake.  Fished of the island right until dark in 18 ft. of water.  One missed bite and that was all.  Had good luck on Red Rock this spring, caught around twenty between 14 and 15 inches.  Was hoping to find some bigger fish through the ice there.  Only big ones have caught this winter have come out of 3 mile,  the only problem being that besides the occasional big one all you can catch are marginal crappies.  One day out of 10 though,  caught a 16, 15, 14 1/2.

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 29, 2009, 07:53 PM »
Hey crapee, is lake level back to normal.  How was it for water clarity for you or someone you know who has fished it.  Went last year and lake was muddy and down 10 ft.

Offline JsFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 30, 2009, 04:21 AM »
Report I got from Rathbun last week...small crappies..(6-8") by the tons
and a few eater size walleyes. Long day for few fish.

Offline cropee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 30, 2009, 04:57 AM »
water level is normal
water clearity is good except for s. fork and atwell

Offline TRCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 30, 2009, 06:06 PM »
thanks for the report was looking to go to those exact places somewhere new i guess

Offline cropee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2009, 09:58 PM »
Well made it down there Saturday
Fishing is improving got about 10 keepers between 3 of us out of +100 fish
Wow tons of dinks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.