Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: ATV Tracks  (Read 666 times)

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
ATV Tracks
« on: Jan 27, 2009, 05:28 PM »
Anybody ever used a set of ATV tracks? I've seen a couple you tube videos but have never seen a set in action or talked to an individual who has had a set. Supposed to put more track to the ground then a snowmobile?.?.? After watching the videos you would think you could go anywhere with em. Reliability - I wonder. I know the price is fairly steep. Any personal accounts would be appreciated.  ;D
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
Re: ATV Tracks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2009, 03:24 PM »
I saw a guy on a nice Can Am with the full track set up.  I have a Polaris 800 x2 and I priced them out.  Prob about 4K after it is all said and done.  They are pretty awesome...you have more of a footprint than a sled for sure...PSI's is quite another discussion.  At 825 pounds I'm almost double a big sled.  So the track square inches would have to be double.  The ride looked smooth...I wonder about switching these on and off as far as time it takes. But dropping 12k on the whole set up seems a bit much...
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ATV Tracks
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:18 PM »
Weights huge -  dropped my 800 Outlander through the ice on the Wapsie river. I wasn't trying to be a dare devil - there was 12"+ in some areas, the local ATV clubs had been up and down the river for weeks and we just came off record temps. Between the ATV, tent, gear and my little buddy on the back I bet I was sitting at close to 1400lbs - bad idea! I made it out in one piece and I'll eat a little crow and say I even  learned something about weight. I could shave 400lbs right off the top by having a sled which means something on thinner ice (changing conditions) for sure. I'll have to look into the width of a set of tracks to see if they disperse the weight as efficiently as a sled. I know I can get a decent sled for 4k. In retrospect if I was ever to get a wheel house I think I might be better pulling it a with tracked ATV?.? Supposedly they change out quickly according to the dealership - not much more work then changing you're tires. Do you go with a smaller ATV (400) and a set? The simplicity of pulling my wheeler out of the garage, trailering it and being on the road to the next fishing hole in 5 minutes means something to me. I'd like to demo a set for the money.
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.