Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Living in Iowa  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Catfish78

• Team IceShanty Regular
Living in Iowa
« on: Jan 26, 2009, 04:39 AM »
Hi all. Nothing really to do with fishing but more on the area.

I have and opportunity to move back to the states and to the Quad Cities in particular. I want to get the low down on the area. Schools, I have 2 wee ones, community, and just everyday life. I lived in very small town North Dakota and I lived in Milwaukee, so I am very familiar with the midwest in general. I have been to Bettendorf once but there was a lot of alcohol involved so I don't remember too much.

Any info you can share with me would be great.

Thanks

Offline JsFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Living in Iowa
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:55 AM »
I delivered to that area for more than 10 years.
Bettendorf is definately the place to live, if you can afford it.
Smaller towns north & west aren't bad either..LeClaire (along the Miss), Parkside, Eldridge
Walcott, Blue Grass, and of course most of Davenport is pretty good.

Depends on your needs and interests..hope this helps.

Offline jkskeet

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2009, 06:58 AM »
I havnt lived there but my brother in law lives there with his family (bettendorf) and he likes it alot.. He says theres alot to do and its great for his kids (2 boys and 1 girl).. It always helps being next to the river for fishing opportunities...  Hope this helps.. ;D

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2009, 04:50 PM »
I live in Bettendorf and have been going to bettendorf community schools for 12 years (senior in highschool). GREAT SCHOOLS! GREAT TOWN! Its basicly darn right CHEAP to live here. You can get a house in an older neighborhood like I live in for around 100G for a nice 2 bedroom or around 150-200g for a nice 3 or 4 bedroom.

Also some good places to fish  ;D
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Catfish78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2009, 07:19 AM »
Thanks for the input guys.

Offline Iowa ice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If the bobbers under set the hook.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2009, 04:23 PM »
I live just North of Davenport in Donahue. It is in the North Scott district. It is a great place to live, and grow up. The elementry school is a BLUE RIBBON school, there are only 284 in the US. Pertty much any where in the area is great, just NOT Davenport. LOL. If you want any more info PM me

Lance
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "............Holy crap.............what a ride!"

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2009, 05:12 PM »
I live just North of Davenport in Donahue. It is in the North Scott district. It is a great place to live, and grow up. The elementry school is a BLUE RIBBON school, there are only 284 in the US. Pertty much any where in the area is great, just NOT Davenport. LOL. If you want any more info PM me

Lance

DONT LIVE IN DAVENPORT OR ROCK ISLAND. We have shootings or stabbings every weekend in davenport and rock island. BUT we havent had one in moline or bettendorf in years.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Catfish78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 29, 2009, 07:30 AM »
We have shootings or stabbings every weekend in davenport and rock island.

I think I will neglect to tell my wife this. 

Offline IceMANCooketh

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 29, 2009, 01:39 PM »
BBK kind of paints davenport and rock island in a bad light.  Sure there are areas in both cities where crime is common.  There are also areas in both cities that are lined with nice homes and good neighborhoods.
This is like telling people to not live in Chicago because there is crime.  Stay away from the bad neighborhoods and you stay away from the crime.  It is not that hard to tell which ones are bad.

I live in Davenport on the northwest side and I do not have any problems.  My neighborhood is full of middle to higher class homes and families.

I did not grow up here and do not have kids so I do not know the quality of the schools.  I have heard that both Moline and Bettendorf are among the higher rated ones.

Offline Rabbithunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2009, 05:25 PM »
I grew up in LeClaire, which is right along the Mississippi. I went to Pleasant Valley School district and have nothing but good things to say about either one.  My parents now live in Davenport and really enjoy being in town.  Most of my family lives in the Quad Cities and don't have any complaints.  I would recommend living in Bettendorf over Davenport, but would more so recommend living in a smaller surrounding town.  LeClaire, Eldridge or Pleasant Valley would be good choices.  As far as Davenport schools go, they can be a little more rough than others. I would suggest either Pleasant Valley, North Scott or Bettendorf school districts.  If you have any other specifics, feel free to ask.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.