Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Des Moines area fishing ?  (Read 827 times)

Offline chocolatehuntinglabs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Lake Park, IA
Des Moines area fishing ?
« on: Jan 22, 2009, 06:38 PM »
I'm going to be in Des Moines next week tuesday - thursday, I will have time late tuesday afternoon until whenever to try and get a line wet.  Any suggestions on where to go.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks

Offline IceHaus

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Des Moines area fishing ?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2009, 07:45 AM »
Where, in Des Moines are you going to be?
  • On the South side, there's Easter Lake and Fort Des Moines Pond or Banner Pits.
  • West, there's Badger Creek or Maffit Reservoir.
  • North, there's Big Creek and Lost Lake. Also, DMACC ponds in Ankeny.

• Offline bogey

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2009, 08:02 AM »
    There are a number of places to fish, depends how far you want to drive. Here are some sugestions;Big Creek,DMACC pond, Easter Lake,Fort Des Moines park,Banner Pits/aka Somerset State Park, Aquibi State Park, Badger Creek,all are a short driving distance from D.M..If you have a sportsmans atlas they are in polk, warren,and madison countys. Good luck and happy fishing.

Offline chocolatehuntinglabs

• IceShanty Rookie
    • Lake Park, IA
    « Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2009, 08:37 AM »
    Thanks for the info.  I'll have to do some checking on my maps for these areas.  I'll be staying in the down town area, and driving isn't a big deal.  Any good reports from anyone in particular?  What can I expect to catch?

Offline therealjt

• Team IceShanty Regular
    • Oh i wish i was a fishing
    « Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2009, 12:02 PM »
    someone mentioned ahquabi...just south (it feeds into ahquabi) is hooper. i have stayed pretty steady on gils there. no monsters but something on the end of your line. also just to the west up the hill there are silt ponds i have never fished but have heard good things about.

i haven't done much ice fishing on ahquabi though i can tell you on open water i can catch crappie all day long in the same spot. i have heard its harder in the winter out there.... been told to go down to the beach and walk strait across and find the dropoff and they do pretty well there.

jt

Offline gotta fish

• IceShanty Rookie
    « Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2009, 12:20 PM »
    Big creek-crappie, gills, walleye, Badger creek crappie&gills maybe lmb try hooper for crappie and gils. big creek bait   in polk city,  downtown 2nd ave bait ,johnston bait shop,
    my Holiday on ice has nothing to do with a mouse or an auditorium

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
    Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
    © 1996- Iceshanty.com
    All Rights Reserved.