Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Power Auger  (Read 3273 times)

Offline harrylee

• IceShanty Rookie
Power Auger
« on: Jan 22, 2009, 06:30 PM »
I think i'am going to purchase a power auger,looking at the strikemaster 8" any comments yea or nay? or does anyone have one to sale?

Offline Big_Ron

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Power Auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2009, 06:41 PM »
depends what you fish for I would get the strike master over the others but 8" is big if you are going after pan fish, my hand auger is 6" and gets the job done my power auger has a 7" blade but next year will purchase the 6" just my opinion.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2009, 06:52 PM »
Strikemasters a good auger and gets the job done well. They also have excelent customer service if you would ever need it. I was happy for the years i owned one. I have now wet to a Nils and loving it.

Offline Perkeyone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2009, 06:55 PM »
Love my Strike Master Lazer Mag 3000 The 10"hole is way to big but I got a smokin' hot deal on it used. The previous owner thought he could use it for post holes sold it cheap when he found it wasn't the same animal. Thank God he never tried it on the dirt. Perkeyone P.S. Had good customer service when I used their blade x-change deal.

Offline harrylee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2009, 06:58 PM »
depends what you fish for I would get the strike master over the others but 8" is big if you are going after pan fish, my hand auger is 6" and gets the job done my power auger has a 7" blade but next year will purchase the 6" just my opinion.

guess i didn't think about it but i use 6" hand auger also and a 7" would be plenty,thanks thats why i try not to think by myself!!!!

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2009, 07:21 PM »
I bought a Stikemaster Strike Lite and I really like it. It's quiet, starts right up and drills holes fast. The engine is made by Subaru.

Offline N3480H

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2009, 07:23 PM »
I've had a LazerMag Express 8" for two seasons and I love it.  I like the 8" because it leaves a little more room for the transducer, and for sticking a hand down the hole to grab the heavier fish on light line.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:03 AM »
I bought a Stikemaster Strike Lite and I really like it. It's quiet, starts right up and drills holes fast. The engine is made by Subaru.

The Robins (subaru) motor is very nice.  I take mine in at night though.  Starts second pull almost every time.  I'm not thrilled with the cold weather starting and I've been playing with octane ratings.  92 (when you can find it) seems to fire off better.  I haven't changed the plug in mine and have 500 holes easily.  Blades are still rippin.  But the price tag is steep.  You can get a 2-stroke for $330.   $200 left over ($530 for the strikelite now)...buys a lot of other toys you know.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:34 AM »
The Robins (subaru) motor is very nice.  I take mine in at night though.  Starts second pull almost every time.  I'm not thrilled with the cold weather starting and I've been playing with octane ratings.  92 (when you can find it) seems to fire off better.  I haven't changed the plug in mine and have 500 holes easily.  Blades are still rippin.  But the price tag is steep.  You can get a 2-stroke for $330.   $200 left over ($530 for the strikelite now)...buys a lot of other toys you know.
When it's really cold I just give it a little throttle when you pull and it takes right off. I been doing this ice fishing gig for 35 years now and I'm hoping this will be my last auger, it's nice and lightweight for me. Now all I have to do is figure out which ice fishing tent I like. I seem to trade them off like new cars every year.  :D

Offline Big Blue

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:51 AM »
One other thing I was going to say is to add some sea foam or stabil to the gas, this also helps out. I was at the St. Paul ice fishing show and I talked to the guy from Strikemaster. He said the gas is only good for about 45 days, this is why he recommended adding sea foam or stabil to the gas, he also said if you own a 2 stroke Tecumseh it's better to go with a 40:1 gas ratio, they run better on that. He also said to use a higher octane gas like your doing.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2009, 05:22 PM »
I have ran 80:1 synthetic in my 2 strokes for years, no smoke no crud leaking out the muffler and they run great. Breaking in the new one yet keeps getting better and better every trip out. I know the strike lite has me beat by 2 pounds but I got 6" more of auger length and all steel construction, no plastic. But that extra stuff cost me $25 more.

Offline Perkeyone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2009, 05:44 PM »
One other thing I was going to say is to add some sea foam or stabil to the gas, this also helps out. I was at the St. Paul ice fishing show and I talked to the guy from Strikemaster. He said the gas is only good for about 45 days, this is why he recommended adding sea foam or stabil to the gas, he also said if you own a 2 stroke Tecumseh it's better to go with a 40:1 gas ratio, they run better on that. He also said to use a higher octane gas like your doing.
I keep my Lazer Mag 3000 in my heated garage. I also am a firm believer in the Sea Foam I add a shot to every tank. I feel it makes a world of difference. I my self use the Opti 1 oil no smoke, no fouled plugs, fuel stabilizer built in, one mix covers any mix ratio and I then finish it up in weed eater or chain saw. Perkeyone

Offline bogey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2009, 07:30 PM »
Love my strikemaster,especially since I only paid 60.00 for it plus 4 ice scoops,it had the original boxes for it. It pays to go farm/estate sales,I think it was the deal of the century.If your not hard pressed for it look at Craigslist or other sale bills, pawnshops,ect., might save you some dough. I know it sure beats a hand auger,good luck.

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:11 PM »
I have a Jiffy that is at least 8 years old. My brother bought it used and handed to down to me as a Christmas present. It still has the original blades on it, and still cuts just fine. All I have ever done to it is empty the gas every spring and put fresh in every winter. A Friend of mine says he runs synthetic oil in his and it starts better when its cold. As far as any fuel additives I run stabill in my 4 wheeler all the time and we also run it in my fathers boat all the time. Cheaper then cleaning injectors or carb.

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2009, 09:13 PM »
I do allot of sight fishing for blue gill and if I was to buy another auger it would be a 10". I would never buy a power auger under 8".

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2009, 10:25 PM »
I never found the need for a 10" unless fishing trophy pike or Lakers. No fun stepping in a 10" hole dragging off after dark. I sight fish to and a 6" does fine in thin ice drill your holes right you can watch 2 lines with an 8" even with 24" of ice.

Offline Perkeyone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 24, 2009, 06:28 AM »
I wear a size 14 shoe and there is still enough hole to get into. Not to mention 1 wrong kick of the Vex and big problems. In the future 8'' is as big as I would consider. Perkeyone

Offline harrylee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 24, 2009, 06:35 AM »
I think i'am going to purchase a power auger,looking at the strikemaster 8" any comments yea or nay? or does anyone have one to sale?
Thanks for all the replies!!!!

Offline medic3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 24, 2009, 09:06 PM »
i have the nils and do enjoy it light and sharp  they say 41 " ice in 12.5 seconds   
medic 3 :) :)

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 29, 2009, 09:04 PM »
I use a 8" strikemaster lazer mag express for a power auger.  80:1 Amsoil mix with a shot of Sea foam ever now and then.  I think that size is perfect for a power auger.  Before the ice gets to thick I use a hand 5" s/m lazer auger.  The vex is better with a larger hole.

Offline bassrat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 29, 2009, 11:46 PM »
jus bought a jiffy stealth stx off ebay for $100.07...8" ...new old stock (still in sealed box)!!!  hope this baby treats me well.....

Offline JsFishin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2009, 04:17 AM »
Scheels was getting rid of the 2008 Strikemaster 2000s before Christmas.
I got the last one...floor demo. So far 200 holes and no motor troubles.
Thanks for all the gas mix tips, I'm use to 4 strokes, and all the advice
sure does help!

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #22 on: Jan 30, 2009, 04:29 AM »
I sure like my ICEGATOR. This is my first year with it (Attacker Model.) Heavy but worth carrying it out.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline whip2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 30, 2009, 12:41 PM »
I use a 8" strikemaster lazer mag express for a power auger.  80:1 Amsoil mix with a shot of Sea foam ever now and then.  I think that size is perfect for a power auger.  Before the ice gets to thick I use a hand 5" s/m lazer auger.  The vex is better with a larger hole.

Where do you get your Sea Foam at?

Offline nater3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 30, 2009, 01:47 PM »
Most autoparts stores carry it.  Menards has it.  Shopper's Supply carries it.  I have found that Menards is about the cheapest at about $6. 

Offline whip2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 30, 2009, 06:28 PM »
Thanks Nater3

I have used Stabill but it failed on me last year so want to try something new.

whip2

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2009, 07:35 PM »
Anybody think there's a difference in durability between the strikemaster chipper blade and lazer blade?
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Offline nater3

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 03, 2009, 08:51 AM »
I don't have any direct experience yet, but I can't see how the lazer blades could last as long as the chipper blades do. I have the lazer blades on mine and my brother has the chipper blade, so I guess we'll see.  The lazer blades are definitely faster, but from what I understand, the main advantage of the chipper is that they last much longer. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.