Montana > Ice Fishing Montana

mussigbrod lake

<< < (5/5)

Kilsdonk:

From your sweet drone picture I marked a red X with location of where I went in.

It was a warm day and I always wear wool base layers so it wasn't that bad.

That's lame people left there trash, its a very pretty lake and kind of hard to get to you would think it would get treated better. Been sharing my recent experience with locals around the lake and heard the regulars that fish it use the grayling they catch as bait for the ling... SMH super messed up.

Skullcooker16:

--- Quote from: Kilsdonk on Feb 22, 2024, 12:37 PM ---
From your sweet drone picture I marked a red X with location of where I went in.

It was a warm day and I always wear wool base layers so it wasn't that bad.

That's lame people left there trash, its a very pretty lake and kind of hard to get to you would think it would get treated better. Been sharing my recent experience with locals around the lake and heard the regulars that fish it use the grayling they catch as bait for the ling... SMH super messed up.

--- End quote ---

Dang that's way out in the deep that could've been really bad. must've been someone's hole then. I've went there 2 times now but both times wasn't able to fish very long and have only caught little guys so far. Dang near made it all the way to the lake with my little truck pulling a trailer that day I went though

Kilsdonk:
Ya on a winter like we have had I could totally see that! I also would have really thought the ice would have been much thicker being at over 6k elevation.
What dinks did you catch? grayling or burbs?

Skullcooker16:
Dinks of both. 6-8" grayling 12-18" burbot

tmarie406:

--- Quote from: Kilsdonk on Feb 26, 2024, 12:05 PM ---Ya on a winter like we have had I could totally see that! I also would have really thought the ice would have been much thicker being at over 6k elevation.
What dinks did you catch? grayling or burbs?

--- End quote ---

That lake is notorious for bad ice. I don't know why exactly, maybe insulation with all the snow? I would guess that they just hit bad ice. We almost lost a snowmobile a few years back there because of bad ice. Thankfully, the 2nd machine stopped on good ice and after 4 hours of digging and towing, we finally got it out.  There was honestly like 28" of ice, but it was layered, a few good inches, then slush, then a few more good inches then more slush. Weirdest ice I've ever been on!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version