Author Topic: Pop up or Sled Style Shant for 1  (Read 854 times)

Offline dipNrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
Pop up or Sled Style Shant for 1
« on: Jan 12, 2016, 07:16 AM »
   Looking to get my first ice shanty this year. Typically I fish mostly inland lakes in PA and can't use a atv or quad on most of them so needs to be reasonable to pull. I'm fairly young and usually willing to walk mile or two but don't want something that is liking dragging a dead horse when we get a foot of snow on the ice. I also won't be using a heater (don't want the weight or pain) as I don't mind the cold. Mainly want to use it to block the wind and for really cold days (10F or below and typically doesn't get below 0F much here).  I tend to use tip-ups so something with windows that you can see out of would be helpful.  Again it's only for myself and I'm 6'4". 
   Based on this, any recommendations?  Was looking at an insulated models (Eskimo Inferno Wide 1, Clam Kenai Thermal), but not sure if I need the warmth or the weight.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Pop up or Sled Style Shant for 1
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2016, 12:02 PM »
if you only want a wind break.
FX50 Windbreak
http://www.shappell.com/iceshelters/fxseriesflips.html

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2016, 12:07 PM »
The pop ups are a LOT lighter. I use the Shappell DX3000 and built a Smitty sled to pull it loaded up with about 130 lbs. of gear. I'm an old timer (60 yr. old) and a little guy. I can pull this thing across snow covered ice with one finger and I ALWAYS leave my quad at home. I'm not afraid to hike a few miles a day!
The Smitty sled will make pulling all your gear a LOT easier no matter what you get. A lot of people pull ther flipovers with them.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2016, 01:22 PM »
X2 on the FX50. I just picked one up this year to run and gun. Lovin it. It is just a wind break and only weighs 27 LBs.
<===Lefty===

Online hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2016, 01:45 PM »
Size matters ...one man flips can be cramped and limited space for gear. . two man bigger and can stow more gear..can bring a friend  price is similar on certain models ...flip overs are more mobile then hubs ...if your a set up and stay put or tip up guy hubs may be better ...if you are a run and gunner ...or just like to move through out the day ...a flip style is a good choice ....your going to need a sled to drag your hub/gear out ..so that's an added cost . A Smitty sled will haul your gear with ease ..EZPZ to make ..I have made 3 ...not as pretty as some folks but function just the same .... all my shelters are 300D Hubs and Flips ...I have good clothing and hardly use my Buddy heater ...but have used it the last two unusual seasons ..What retailers are near you can you tire kick some shelter models ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline willisdotcom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2016, 03:12 PM »
wide 1 inferno is good!

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2016, 09:37 PM »
I fish out of a one man Frabil Recon. Space can be limited, but that forces me to take only what I need. A few rods, Vexilar, 5 gallon bucket, heater when warranted and an auger.

Offline topwaterbait

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2016, 07:23 PM »
Shappell FX 150. It has plenty of room but it is not the thermal fabric. If you take out the bench seat and you use a small chair it isn't that heavy. Pulls easy with the wear bars or skis installed.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2016, 02:52 AM »
I would go with an insulated model regardless of the extra weight and expense which are a small trade off because it breaks the wind better and will be warmer.  Another thing to keep in mind is you'll get far less condensation especially if you ever run a heater in it.  Between the two you mentioned I'd go with the Eskimo Inferno Wide 1 and to help deal with the weight issue I'd make a Smitty sled, it makes pulling it a lot easier.

Offline DANMAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:26 PM »
Eskimo Inferno Wide 1 weighs in at 70 lbs  ask me how i know

Offline Rags777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2016, 08:32 PM »
love my quick fish 2. nice and light! put big buddy on it and leave door open with no problem right down to -10. quick up and down, less than 2 min easy  :thumbsup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.