Author Topic: Potanipo gripe  (Read 3339 times)

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
Potanipo gripe
« on: May 01, 2022, 01:30 PM »
So this post is not ice fishing related and just a plain gripe. That said, I took my family out on Potanipo for a quick fishing trip this morning and couldn't believe the lack of etiquette displayed by other boaters on this waterbody. Folks taking 30+ mins at the boat ramp oblivious to their surrounding or other boaters. Boaters occupying the boat ramp just to “start their outboard for the season” and my favorite, launching a 28 ft cabin cruiser named Daddy’s Toy and sending it full bore around and around the tiny lake…. I am not one for wanting more regulation but it seems to me like this waterbody is in need of something. Has anyone else experienced this on Potanipo? I have heard of the shenanigans that go on with snowmobiles during the ice season. I am probably better off keeping my mouth shut and never going back. Its a shame because I marked some big schools of pan fish…. Maybe Ill just go earlier in the day.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline Steve H.

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Potanipo gripe
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2022, 06:19 AM »
See anyone power loading because they didn't want to get their feet wet?  That's my favorite.   :'(

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2022, 07:02 AM »
No, but I am sure if I stayed any longer it would have happened.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline DConICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2022, 09:16 AM »

The lake gets a ton of boat traffic and yes ramp activity is a problem. Fishing in small boat and kayak I would restrict usage to early morning or late evening or weekdays, since it is a mess on the weekends.  I have seen the start/test the boat routine often as well, and I have also waited a long time to get out of the water while people launch or pull out unprepared.  Watch out too for small kids playing near the launch unsupervised while you are backing in, the dam and light house there seems to draw a lot of attention.  It would be nice to see more people prep the boat away from the launch and expedite that process, but that's a problem experienced on many bodies of water.

Offline mikez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2022, 11:44 AM »
With ice coming soon I felt like adding my $00.02 worth;

You just described my own experience ice fishing there. Snow mobiles and motorcycle (yes motorcycle) apparently claim that pond as their own.
No way can you have tip ups anywhere near the boat ramp. You'd be setting up in the middle of a highway. And they view tipups as slalom flags  - or just run them over.
The boat ramp is apparently where everyone goes to warm up and shake down their machines for the season.

Offline jigmaster5

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2022, 08:33 AM »
I've fished there a handful of times.  If it's busy when you get there, best bet is to turn right around & fish somewhere else.

In the summer (esp. weekends), you need to hit it super early before the yahoos wake up & be off the water by 7AM, 8AM at the latest.  Otherwise, it's a nightmare.

Early spring or late fall is fishable on the right day...esp. in rain/drizzle.

In the winter, once the ice thickens up - it's again a nightmare.  So, have to hit it super early before the yahoos wake up.

Key thing to know for any body of water like that is that the knuckleheads like to sleep in late...

Offline NHFishah

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Card carrying member of "TEAM FLATLANDER"
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2022, 12:49 PM »
That's interesting about marking schools of pan fish. I've fished there about a dozen times in open water and caught a few nice bass, and a really nice trout, but never saw any signs of pan fish. Fished there a few times on the ice and really didn't do anything. I live fairly close but would rather go to Canobie or Cobbetts.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2022, 12:52 PM »
Never ice fished it, but I've caught some yellow perch and sunfish there in the summer, mostly dinks though.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2022, 12:55 PM »
Meh, been a party lake as long as I can remember, it is what it is... We need a few lakes like that for the crazies to congregate on otherwise they'll spread out over more quiet fishing waters lol.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Dec 03, 2022, 04:38 PM »

You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline SALMONEMIA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2022, 05:07 PM »
I know that guy.
Salmonemia

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2022, 05:33 PM »
I know that guy.

It’s Cal, the Ruler fishing derby fella

Offline Hottuna5150

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Dec 04, 2022, 09:21 AM »
Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.
-Ernest Hemingway

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #13 on: Dec 05, 2022, 08:58 AM »
I thought that was Colby!!
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 05, 2022, 10:53 AM »
I thought that was Colby!!

Haha. Noones reading the T shirt it’s not as funny as I was hoping

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 05, 2022, 11:37 AM »
Oh i read it its pretty hilarious.. maybe not as young as a crowd you hoped for!! ;D
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 05, 2022, 12:59 PM »
Lolll good, glad it wasn’t wasted

Offline Uppervalley Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 07, 2022, 12:07 PM »
Meh, been a party lake as long as I can remember, it is what it is... We need a few lakes like that for the crazies to congregate on otherwise they'll spread out over more quiet fishing waters lol.

This is very true.
....¸><((((º>
.··´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
·.¸.·´¯`·...¸.·><((((º>

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 07, 2022, 03:57 PM »
Fished there once, open water, got one nice largemouth and never went back.

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Dec 07, 2022, 04:37 PM »
Don’t even know where it is gotta border Mass or be extreme southwest or I’d of fished it

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 07, 2022, 04:41 PM »
It is... in Brookline, just a quick hop from the border.

It cracked me up when they built that Donut shop out there in the middle of friggin nowhere across from the fire station. Is that place still open? I haven't been out there in 5-ish years.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 07, 2022, 05:04 PM »
It is... in Brookline, just a quick hop from the border.

It cracked me up when they built that Donut shop out there in the middle of friggin nowhere across from the fire station. Is that place still open? I haven't been out there in 5-ish years.

Dunks is still there and thriving... I don't get it, Dunkins coffee sucks and they're usually all packed.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 07, 2022, 05:09 PM »
Havent bought a coffee in prob bout 8 years now, just make at home. Prob save 75 bucks a month

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 07, 2022, 05:11 PM »
Dunks is still there and thriving... I don't get it, Dunkins coffee sucks and they're usually all packed.

🤷‍♂️ not a big fan, myself. There aren't many of them around here... certainly not ubiquitous like out there.  Casey's is the big coffee/donut player out here.

That just struck me as a hilarious place to put one. It wasn't there the first few times I fished Potanipo and the river head. It popped up the last or 2nd to last time I was out there.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 07, 2022, 05:24 PM »
It appears to be in the middle of nowhere but that road is heavily commuted from NH to Mass... My shop is only a couple miles to the north on the same road... Pro Auto Center, next time you're slummin in NH stop in and talk some fishin.

I pretty much live on coffee, Kuerig at home and at work and I still stop on the way to work to get a Green Mountain coffee from the house by the side of the road in Wilton lol...

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2022, 05:34 PM »
Right there on 13?

We used to go every year or two to visit the wife's relatives, but between the plague and work it's just kinda slipped. We need to make another trip one of these days... maybe next year.

Hoping to maybe haul the boat along next time, but I'd need a different vehicle first. I brought my flat trailer with a bunch of junk on it once, and the car strongly protested running up and down those hills in NY and MA. :roflmao:

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2022, 05:46 PM »
Yup, pretty much across from the big tractor dealer as you get into Milford.
I hear ya on towing with a car, I used a lezbaru wrx as a winter beater last year... She had plenty of stones to tow up the hills but slowing down on the other side of said hills... not so much lol. At least I made a few people smile when they seen it towing a trailer with a wheeler bigger than the car on it.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2022, 06:26 PM »
My car is a total weeniemobile for power but it's no biggie here since the landscape is generally flatter than a pancake... whole different ball of wax out there with all the grades. I don't think I'd do it again  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.