Illinois > Ice Fishing Illinois

Anyone else still alive?

(1/6) > >>

zcm_82:
Everyone else die in that cold snap?  :roflmao: Been a pretty dead forum this season.  After the first week or so of ice, haven't seen any holes in any of the ponds I've fished that aren't mine, so I'm thinking last year's ice fishing boom around here was a one and done deal.

Was -12° yesterday when I left the house in Iroquois County. Fished a small pond from about 8am-1pm. The fish were there, but the bite was super slow. Only managed 8 gills and a few missed bites. Ice was 8-11" thick on the pond I was sitting.

Rebelss:
Better than I'm doing. Only been able to get a couple times over here due to weather; action was zip. Woulda been happy to have a few of those monster sunfish like ya got there...  ;) A Shappel shack, huh? I loved my DX4000.........

zcm_82:

--- Quote from: Rebelss on Jan 27, 2022, 09:14 AM ---Better than I'm doing. Only been able to get a couple times over here due to weather; action was zip. Woulda been happy to have a few of those monster sunfish like ya got there...  ;) A Shappel shack, huh? I loved my DX4000.........

--- End quote ---

I go after bigger fish (mostly carp) in open water. Ice fishing is just about getting fish to me. I'm not a fish eater, so the size of them doesn't really matter much. I'd rather have a dinkfest day on the ice than 1 or 2 nice fish. This season has actually been shaping up nicely... December was ludicruously warm, but Jan has been below average with very little snow here, so it's been fantastic for a few weeks.

Yep, DX3000. This is my 3rd or 4th season with it... I'm starting to get the oldtimer's where the years sort of all run together  ;D I love it, it is basically perfect for my needs. I had been eyeballing the 4000, but the 3000 fits in my hatchback, and the 4000 wouldn't, or I would have gotten the 4000. I hate hauling a trailer in the winter.

IlliniIce:
havent been for a week, i have been more selective when i go this year, we have enough ice to last awhile so i havent been going on those frigid high pressure days when fish are glued to the bottom and it is tough to get them interested
have done well the times i have went when the temps warm up a bit. heading out soon and gonna hit it hard during next week's warmup
one of the lakes i fish has walleye, catching one is a goal this season along with big gills and crappies

zcm_82:
I've been going pretty much any day I have the chance, regardless of the weather. This far south, you never know when the ice is gonna disappear. We can go from 10-12" of ice to no ice in a week, like what happened last year.

Those few warmer days last week were pretty productive. I'm thinking this weekend should be pretty good, as well.

I'm gonna hit one for a bit after work today, but after work outings are always short, because steel toed work boots + ice = cold feet fast.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version