The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Need a new custom Ice rod  (Read 662 times)

Offline zgiller

• IceShanty Rookie
Need a new custom Ice rod
« on: Nov 14, 2021, 08:59 AM »
I don't know if there is a blank that will do what I'm looking for. I have been fishing super ultralight light for many years. I have gone sub 1lb with to great of a break off rate. I accept a break off rate using 1lb just because my system works so well for me. (I chase big giils).
  Currently I'm using a 40 yr old South Bend 36in micro lite which is my favorite rod. I also have 43in and 48in Patriot rods.  Although the bend curve is really good on my Patriot's I just cant quite go sub 1lb with them.
 Is there a softer blank that can still maintain a linear bend? Is longer the key?
Anyone out there doing something similar?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Need a new custom Ice rod
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2021, 09:06 AM »
Not trying to brag but i use all kinds of rods from st croix to ht blue price range wise and use 1lb exclusively for over 20 years and land big fish such as bass and pike while panfishing and dont have many break offs unless a pike bites it off.anyways i find a reels drag superior over a rod action when fighting big fish on light line.my rods are 24" to 48" in length,light or ultra light action .my long rods are used when hole hopping standing up,shorts for shanty.

Offline zgiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2021, 09:24 AM »
Good point on the drag system!
I have been using Frabill's 101xla exclusively since they came out. I really  like the light weight and large arbor. Nothing else I know of competes with it. Although  the drag is ok it is definitely a weak link in my system.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2021, 09:30 AM »
A lousy drag has lost many a fish....*SNAP*  🐟
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 15, 2021, 06:01 PM »
 Patriot rods has a new blank that is a super light Ultra light rod. I had the guy tie up 4  58" rods for me this year. I will be using them for Smelt. They were $60.00 each & worth every penny. If you are on FB, message him there & he usually gets back w/you in a day. Depending on how close you are to Battle Creek, you could check out the ones I have if youd like. I dont know if he was going to tie up any to sell in stores or if he offers them in a shorter length, but they are very light action. Edit,; also Dr Speckler mentioned HT Ice blues. They make a 48" rod that is pretty light & I have one of those in my Smelt lineup that works well. I have used it for open water gills & it works great for that . At $16.00 you cant beat the price !
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē F˙Sh
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2021, 07:13 PM »
Bricker micro liner

Offline zgiller

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2021, 07:03 PM »
Thanks for the feedback!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum