Author Topic: Shiner Trapping Question  (Read 6312 times)

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Shiner Trapping Question
« on: Nov 19, 2020, 05:39 PM »
I found some info online in terms of what you are allowed to keep as live bait and what must be released. used the search function on Ice Shanty but didn't come up with much. I don't plan on doing a ton of trapping, but giving it a shot for the firs time. My only question is do you have to label your trap in anyway? feel free to drop some advice as well, but not necessary. Plan on using dry dog food and focusing on flowing water, brooks, rivers streams in shallow water.
Tight Lines!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Shiner Trapping Question
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2020, 05:50 PM »
Yup, gotta claim your trap... Name and number will keep F&G happy. And yeah, dry dog food works and is easy enough. Good luck.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2020, 05:53 PM »
Yup, gotta claim your trap... Name and number will keep F&G happy. And yeah, dry dog food works and is easy enough. Good luck.

thanks Stealth, figured they'd need something like that. I'm assuming it doesn't need to be on the trap itself and can just be on the rope?
Tight Lines!

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2020, 05:56 PM »
I put my info on a tag on the rope, not sure if that's right but must be close enough?
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2020, 05:58 PM »
I put my info on a tag on the rope, not sure if that's right but must be close enough?

I’d have a hard time believing that isn’t good enough. Thanks for the info
Tight Lines!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2020, 06:42 PM »
I always attached my name, address & phone # on the trap itself. Later on, I added the same on a short piece of strapping with a hole on either end to run my cord through and through.
This took too long to find under "important rules". Would have liked to seen it under "bait trapping".
"• Traps, nets, fish houses, holding boxes, or
other receptacles used to take, hold, or to
keep live bait fish in public waters must be
marked with the name and address of the
owner and user."
IMO, it's open to interpretation whether or not your info placed on the
rope or cord is technically, legal or not?
I expect the CO's would appreciate the effort of marking, regardless?
I've only met a CO once (in a lot of years) while trapping. I was coming out of the woods. He looked at my trapped bait. Wasn't interested in my traps, back through the woods.
Can't remember if he asked for my fishing license? It is required.
I've had many interactions with Co's. All good!  :)   

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 19, 2020, 06:50 PM »
I always attached my name, address & phone # on the trap itself. Later on, I added the same on a short piece of strapping with a hole on either end to run my cord through and through.
This took too long to find under "important rules". Would have liked to seen it under "bait trapping".

"• Traps, nets, fish houses, holding boxes, or
other receptacles used to take, hold, or to
keep live bait fish in public waters must be
marked with the name and address of the
owner and user."
IMO, it's open to interpretation whether or not your info placed on the
rope or cord is technically, legal or not?
I expect the CO's would appreciate the effort of marking, regardless?
I've only met a CO once (in a lot of years) while trapping. I was coming out of the woods. He looked at my trapped bait. Wasn't interested in my traps, back through the woods.
Can't remember if he asked for my fishing license? It is required.
I've had many interactions with Co's. All good!  :)

Thanks CD. I looked under “bait trapping” and didn’t find anything. I didn’t even think to check “important rules”. I’m with you, not sure why they decided to post it in one spot and not the other. Only bad experience I had with a CO was in VT on Champlain. Most are great! I try to do my best to make their jobs a little easier.
Tight Lines!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 19, 2020, 08:04 PM »

Thanks CD. I looked under “bait trapping” and didn’t find anything. I didn’t even think to check “important rules”. I’m with you, not sure why they decided to post it in one spot and not the other. Only bad experience I had with a CO was in VT on Champlain. Most are great! I try to do my best to make their jobs a little easier.
You're welcome. Under bait trapping, there is mention of marking traps with name and address, but it's under commercial trapping of suckers, I believe? Not pertinent to trapping shiners by your average Joe cup of coffee.
Agree with making the CO's job easier. If you know the rules and abide by them, they're a great bunch of outdoorsmen, generally speaking.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2020, 07:54 AM »
 I burn my name and address onto a piece of cedar lath and attach it to my trap with hog rings , I do the same with the rope on the bitter end( make a tag out of cedar lath..), I've had traps returned to me by CO's that someone had illegally pulled and got busted..had my name no been on the trap It would have another one lost forever.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2020, 08:56 AM »
I put my name, address and phone number on a piece of wood attached to the line on the trap. Never had any problems, but never been checked either. Good luck trapping!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2020, 02:46 PM »
I burn my name and address onto a piece of cedar lath and attach it to my trap with hog rings , I do the same with the rope on the bitter end( make a tag out of cedar lath..), I've had traps returned to me by CO's that someone had illegally pulled and got busted..had my name no been on the trap It would have another one lost forever.
It's nice to know you're CO's are so on top of things, Joe. I think we only have 37-40 in the whole state? This time of year, they're spread pretty thin keeping track of hunters.
Burning info in to cedar is pretty ideal. The sad thing is, regardless what you do, it can be removed.
FWIW, you're showing your age & history a bit.  ;) Wonder how many here know what hog rings are? I still have a box plus hog ring pliers.  ;D

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 20, 2020, 03:39 PM »
It's nice to know you're CO's are so on top of things, Joe. I think we only have 37-40 in the whole state? This time of year, they're spread pretty thin keeping track of hunters.
Burning info in to cedar is pretty ideal. The sad thing is, regardless what you do, it can be removed.
FWIW, you're showing your age & history a bit.  ;) Wonder how many here know what hog rings are? I still have a box plus hog ring pliers.  ;D

We still use hog rings in the automotive world CD, granted a lot less than before but some auto makers still use them to hold seat covering on... Nothing like having one of those suckers grab hold of your finger skin lol...

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 20, 2020, 06:53 PM »

Most of the COs in the past knew who.i was, I was the one they called when they had a nuisance animal that evaded capture by the other  nuisance trappers-I also had the most beaver ,otter and Fisher pelts to tag in the eastern  district, that aside i was like  fly crap, I was everywhere..showing my age is a badge of honor, I aint as good as once was, but once I can be as good as I ever was!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 20, 2020, 08:22 PM »
We still use hog rings in the automotive world CD, granted a lot less than before but some auto makers still use them to hold seat covering on... Nothing like having one of those suckers grab hold of your finger skin lol...
Interesting, Stealth. Do they go through a grommet and spring? I vaguely remember that?
And yes, they do get your attention when they bite.

Most of the COs in the past knew who.i was, I was the one they called when they had a nuisance animal that evaded capture by the other  nuisance trappers-I also had the most beaver ,otter and Fisher pelts to tag in the eastern  district, that aside i was like  fly crap, I was everywhere..showing my age is a badge of honor, I aint as good as once was, but once I can be as good as I ever was!
I imagine most CO's in your area would have known you for sure, Joe. The latter of what you said is definitely true! There may be a little dust on the bottle, but....

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2020, 06:11 AM »
I would be careful about trapping in flowing waters or ponds designated trout... I wait til ice to trap in my farm ponds. Stack traps on top of each other, 4-6 FOW, never let them soak over 8 hours, or the bait learns the trap escape... Oh man, I can't wait!

Offline Teamrustyhook

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 21, 2020, 06:32 AM »
never let them soak over 8 hours, or the bait learns the trap escape... Oh man, I can't wait!
Is this the reason I've been coming up empty handed? I've been leaving my trap in the water for 24 hours at a time

Offline Gunflint

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 21, 2020, 07:41 AM »
Is this the reason I've been coming up empty handed? I've been leaving my trap in the water for 24 hours at a time

Yup, it looks like your bait is simply getting too smart for you.

You need dumber bait that hasn't been schooled for so long in your trap.

;D ;D ;D
Veritas Odium Parit

Offline Dipstick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ( jigging Joe)
« Reply #17 on: Nov 21, 2020, 08:15 AM »
Rusty- my best sets are the first sets, 3 hour max. Leave them in for a day after that and then see what you get... Just sayin

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 21, 2020, 10:52 AM »
Quick question about bait tank set ups. I don’t plan on having more than 3-5 dozen shiners max in there. I am just going to use a decent size cooler (I know the size matters but don’t remember the dimensions or size). I have an aerator I am going to stick in it and I’m either going to keep it on the unheated side of my basement or outside on my deck. Is a filter also necessary?
Tight Lines!

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2020, 11:30 AM »
Quick question about bait tank set ups. I don’t plan on having more than 3-5 dozen shiners max in there. I am just going to use a decent size cooler (I know the size matters but don’t remember the dimensions or size). I have an aerator I am going to stick in it and I’m either going to keep it on the unheated side of my basement or outside on my deck. Is a filter also necessary?
You'll get quite a few differing opinions on this. Lots of different ways to keep bait. Some much better than others. 3-5 dozen shiners could last one or two outings for many. An aerator will keep that many for a short time. Freshly trapped bait excretes a lot of ammonia. Not like bait from a bait shop. Too much ammonia kills bait. In my 70 gal tank, I don't use an aerator. I use a submersible pump that circulates the 60 gallons about 6 times per hour through a homemade filter that has developed beneficial bacteria. You need cold water. 39 degrees + or - is ideal. Frequent partial water changes of similar temps is necessary for fresh trapped bait.
FWIW, a cooler on your deck will freeze in NH when temps dip.
There's quite a lot to maintaining bait for a whole season. I'd recommend doing a search on here for bait tanks. Tons of info available...

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Nov 21, 2020, 02:42 PM »
Interesting, Stealth. Do they go through a grommet and spring? I vaguely remember that?
And yes, they do get your attention when they bite.

You remember fine... Always a grommet in the material, sometimes a spring sometimes direct to seat frame.

Bassin... Whatever tank setup you go with never feed them. If you keep the water cold they don't need food even for months. Like CD said ammonia will kill them and they are really good at turning food into ammonia.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 21, 2020, 06:33 PM »
You'll get quite a few differing opinions on this. Lots of different ways to keep bait. Some much better than others. 3-5 dozen shiners could last one or two outings for many. An aerator will keep that many for a short time. Freshly trapped bait excretes a lot of ammonia. Not like bait from a bait shop. Too much ammonia kills bait. In my 70 gal tank, I don't use an aerator. I use a submersible pump that circulates the 60 gallons about 6 times per hour through a homemade filter that has developed beneficial bacteria. You need cold water. 39 degrees + or - is ideal. Frequent partial water changes of similar temps is necessary for fresh trapped bait.
FWIW, a cooler on your deck will freeze in NH when temps dip.
There's quite a lot to maintaining bait for a whole season. I'd recommend doing a search on here for bait tanks. Tons of info available...

This is it in a nut shell
Most normal areators realt dont diffuse oxygen, the do aid in the denitrogenation process...as stated, colder water,makes ammonia much less lethal,the best way to keep bait is to provide bacterial filtration and turn the water over 10 times per hour..

Offline Coffin Dodger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 21, 2020, 09:14 PM »
You remember fine... Always a grommet in the material, sometimes a spring sometimes direct to seat frame
Thanks for the confirmation, Stealth. That's the way I vaguely remember it.
Sadly or not, I remember more from back then than yesterday.  :-[

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Nov 22, 2020, 04:59 AM »
Thanks for the confirmation, Stealth. That's the way I vaguely remember it.
Sadly or not, I remember more from back then than yesterday.  :-[

I'm with you on that one Richard.  ???

Offline bassin212

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Nov 22, 2020, 12:24 PM »
Thanks for the tips everyone, looks like keeping water cold will be my biggest challenge..... that and catching bait  ;D ice caught a couple so far. Water temp in the tank is sitting it about 48 degrees. Hoping the colder nights will bring the temp down more. Looks like I’ll be changing water often! Just going to do a lot of trial and error and see what happens.
Tight Lines!

Offline merk42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 06, 2020, 12:38 PM »
I keep my bait in a pond, catch a load the afternoon before an outing and keep them in the garage on a aerator overnight. Sometimes I change the water in the morning, but rarely... then up to the lake where they go under the ice for future trips. We only bring bait to the lake a few times a season. Nice to have it at the bobhouse. We keep the bait in a 3 ft net sock stringer. Works great. the fish can utilize the 3' vertical column of water, seems to keep them better than horizontal.

Also I try to catch minnows in my usual spots in fall and early winter and they are gone, creek chubs, they look like dace, but arent. I think they migrate to bigger water, the Ct River. I see no minnows in my brooks now.

Offline Tony Thunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2020, 04:46 PM »
I have a 110 gallon stock tank filled about half way, I use a pond filter and have had up to roughly 500 shiners in there with crystal clear water still

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #27 on: Dec 09, 2020, 01:06 PM »
Not sure how many folks know this.

There is a limit of shiners you are allowed to keep on hand. 4 Liquid Quarts or ~ 2 days worth of bait. (Your allowed 2 Liquid Quarts of shiners per day trapping). Otherwise you will need to get a bait dealer's license @ $26.00

Suckers, there is no limit however have trap specs.

May want to check into this.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 09, 2020, 01:10 PM »
Good point to bring up Jiggin. I've thought about that a few times but never bothered to see how many quarts of shiners I had in my tank. Nice to see you back in the shanty as well. Good luck to the circus this season!

Offline Digs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 09, 2020, 01:24 PM »
Not sure how many folks know this.

There is a limit of shiners you are allowed to keep on hand. 4 Liquid Quarts or ~ 2 days worth of bait. (Your allowed 2 Liquid Quarts of shiners per day trapping). Otherwise you will need to get a bait dealer's license @ $26.00

Suckers, there is no limit however have trap specs.

May want to check into this.

That's a very good point..... I don't think a lot of people understand the limit rule on fish in general. I got into a discussion with someone on FB a little while back about what you're aloud to keep. He was saying that he can go out and get 25 white perch everyday for a week and fill his freezer as much as he wants as long as he doesn't keep more than 25 a day...... The law says No person may have in his possession at one time more wildlife (including fish) than he may lawfully take in 2 days. He said what was in his freezer was not in his possession. I stopped talking at that point......
Every fish is a good fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.