The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: GULL LAKE  (Read 47475 times)

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: GULL LAKE
« Reply #240 on: Feb 12, 2016, 06:11 AM »
There have been guys out fishing the north end for 2 days now.

Offline Beats sittin at the house

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #241 on: Feb 12, 2016, 06:34 AM »
Balls of steel!.....they're just fish!
There's never a bad day of fishing!

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #242 on: Feb 12, 2016, 07:53 AM »
Tonight's forecast looks great for making some more ice!

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #243 on: Feb 12, 2016, 02:10 PM »
I see a permy shanty on the webcam...must be digging in for the long cold weekend.  ;)
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #244 on: Feb 12, 2016, 07:06 PM »
There have been guys out fishing the north end for 2 days now.
interesting.  would be willing to give it a go, but not going it alone...  I cant imagine they are getting on at prarieville as the pictures I saw from Tuesday the shoreline was not even close, even with planks..

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #245 on: Feb 12, 2016, 08:52 PM »
There were 6 cars in the lot and 2 guys walking out towards a shanty that was already set up out there.  I have no idea about the condition of the ice I am just telling you what I saw.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #246 on: Feb 13, 2016, 05:14 AM »
There were 6 cars in the lot and 2 guys walking out towards a shanty that was already set up out there.  I have no idea about the condition of the ice I am just telling you what I saw.
  My son also seen guys out there, Thurs. night. As for me, I checked the shore ice at Prarieville, on Wed. afternoon, & it was crap. I could not get to ice, that would hold me.  It may be good, out away from shore, but I'm waiting a while.  That creek can cause some problems w/ the ice.  Also, there were still 2 very large open spots on the lake, Wed., I'm pretty sure they are locked up now. Hoping to try Baseline rd. tonight, but only if I can get some friends to go w/ me.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline Average-Joe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #247 on: Feb 13, 2016, 05:22 AM »
There were two guys out from baseline last night not too far at around 10

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #248 on: Feb 13, 2016, 05:55 AM »
There were two guys out from baseline last night not too far at around 10
  Thanks for the info. Thinking about checking it out, later this morning.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline DT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #249 on: Feb 13, 2016, 06:38 AM »
Look forward to an update. Plan on heading down tonight. First time for ice fishing on Gull. Was thinking about baseline entrance. Would like to hook up with you and get some of those famous flies.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #250 on: Feb 13, 2016, 09:30 AM »
DT, Welcome to the Shanty! Hoping to have a report sometime around noon. Just waiting for some Lake Trout to get finished in the smoker, then I will head out there.

Offline fishin4smelt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #251 on: Feb 13, 2016, 10:39 AM »
Smoked Laker sounds great. I'll bring the crackers !!! Lol   Hoping to get out tonight or tomorrow night. Not sure whether to hit the South end or North. How much snow did Gull receive ? Westside of Kazoo received about 12" the past few days.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #252 on: Feb 13, 2016, 11:19 AM »
The North End & Baseline rd. are both FISHABLE  :clap: Smelt jr. & me walked out to 70' of water at Baseline, & 60' of water at the north end. The ice is about 5", everywhere, except right by shore on the north end. Guys have been out there fishing & went even further out than we did.  I will be out tonight, but cant make it until about 6:30 p.m., & right now I am planning on fishing Baseline rd., if the parking isn't too bad.  Not much snow on the ice, just enough to make it a good walk . Fishin4smelt, look me up tonight, if your out there, The lake trout came out pretty good. Funny thing, I'll be eating it, almost exactly where I caught it !

Offline DT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #253 on: Feb 13, 2016, 11:24 AM »
Great news. Thanks for sharing. Hope to see you out there.

Offline ED1983

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #254 on: Feb 13, 2016, 01:59 PM »
Smelt buster, DT and I are at baseline now, no one is here as of yet. We will black ice cube shanty looking for smelt. Waiting your arrival. Curious if we should go to the right or the left or straight off baseline road?

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #255 on: Feb 13, 2016, 02:35 PM »
I will be there in a blue clam bigfoot.

Offline ED1983

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #256 on: Feb 13, 2016, 03:08 PM »
We are set up to the left of the launch about 70 fow.

Offline fishin4smelt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #257 on: Feb 13, 2016, 03:19 PM »
Smeltbuster, won't be making out tonight. Wife reminded me I asked her to go out to dinner tonight, I asked her a couple of weeks ago. Hoping she had forgotten !!! Enjoy that smoked laker tonight. I'll be out for sure tomorrow...Good luck everyone, keep those reports coming !!!

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #258 on: Feb 13, 2016, 03:24 PM »
She's going to be making ice fast now. Careful out there :tipup:
http://www.gulllakecam.com/

Home of the "Gull Lake Smelt Factory Ice Flies"

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #259 on: Feb 13, 2016, 11:33 PM »
FINALLY, what I consider to be a great night ! I fished in 73 FOW tonight, SW of Baseline rd. , I ended the night w/ 120 smeltzillas & could have had more, if I stayed. They were still biting. 4 triples & several doubles. The smelt flies were on fire tonight (thank you, Kevin !),  Fished near JMPostma & they did well too. The Legendary "BOB the smelt Guru" also fished by me & had 174 !  Met a couple of new guys on here, DT, & Ed1983, they were still fishing when I left, & were catching them . If  you guys come out again , you are more than welcome to fish near me. Great guys !  Forgot the smoked lake trout, so all I had to eat, was a bag of peppered venison jerky, that I made last night. Had to eat the fish when I got home. Hope I can get some of this Laker grease off the laptop keyboard before my wife uses it  ;D. Yes, Gull lake  Lakers are a lil  bit greasy, but I will deal with it ! 

Offline ED1983

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #260 on: Feb 14, 2016, 07:12 AM »
Great to meet you smeltbuster, thanks for the flies, and the tips you shared with us. We ended the night with 220 fish. Not to bad for a couple of rookies.  I look forward to seeing you again out there.

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #261 on: Feb 14, 2016, 08:54 AM »
Went out yesterday in search for a new spot to panfish and walked from the first bay all the way out past the island and ended up finding a goo mess of fish and without the crowd, just me and my 2 buddies, even had a big school of smelt come through around 2pm that we were able to drop down into and pull a few through,

Offline BendingLimits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #262 on: Feb 14, 2016, 09:33 AM »
FINALLY, what I consider to be a great night ! I fished in 73 FOW tonight, SW of Baseline rd. , I ended the night w/ 120 smeltzillas & could have had more, if I stayed. They were still biting. 4 triples & several doubles. The smelt flies were on fire tonight (thank you, Kevin !),  Fished near JMPostma & they did well too. The Legendary "BOB the smelt Guru" also fished by me & had 174 !  Met a couple of new guys on here, DT, & Ed1983, they were still fishing when I left, & were catching them . If  you guys come out again , you are more than welcome to fish near me. Great guys !  Forgot the smoked lake trout, so all I had to eat, was a bag of peppered venison jerky, that I made last night. Had to eat the fish when I got home. Hope I can get some of this Laker grease off the laptop keyboard before my wife uses it  ;D. Yes, Gull lake  Lakers are a lil  bit greasy, but I will deal with it !

Fished Gull lastnight,  Not the same luck as you two, although we were directly in betweeen you.  Hopefully we can touch bases!

Offline BendingLimits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #263 on: Feb 14, 2016, 09:51 AM »
Great to meet you smeltbuster, thanks for the flies, and the tips you shared with us. We ended the night with 220 fish. Not to bad for a couple of rookies.  I look forward to seeing you again out there.

Curious if i can get some of these famous smelt flies ;)   PM function seems to not be working!

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #264 on: Feb 14, 2016, 09:52 AM »
How far of a walk is it off Baseline road to where you smelt fish?

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #265 on: Feb 14, 2016, 10:59 AM »
How far of a walk is it off Baseline road to where you smelt fish?
Curious if i can get some of these famous smelt flies ;)   PM function seems to not be working!
Hermin, I walked out, probably about 400-500 yds., There is a pine tree branch sticking up out of the ice, go 100 yds. or so, past that.   Bending Limits, fist off, Welcome to "The Shanty" !  You have to have 5 posts, before you can send PMs. I have flies w/ me out on the ice. You can also buy them at Smitty's sport shop in Battle Creek. They are $5.00 for a 3 pack. I need to get "Lookinfopike" to tie some more up.  Found a new color last night that works well. The Smeltbuster fly & another that is Chartruse & white, are good colors, they also glow brightly.

Offline lookinfopike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #266 on: Feb 14, 2016, 10:59 AM »

PM sent
http://www.gulllakecam.com/

Home of the "Gull Lake Smelt Factory Ice Flies"

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #267 on: Feb 14, 2016, 11:07 AM »
Are you going out tonight Smeltbuster?

Offline BendingLimits

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #268 on: Feb 14, 2016, 11:53 AM »
Are you going out tonight Smeltbuster?
Thanks bud.  Unable to reply due to minimum post allowance.   

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #269 on: Feb 14, 2016, 12:14 PM »
Thats number 5 you should be able to private message now I think.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.