The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: GULL LAKE  (Read 47473 times)

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: GULL LAKE
« Reply #211 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:31 PM »
Dang it SWIFT, it is a school night!
I cannot read all of the second link tonight. I enjoyed the first one though.

Most of the houses around Gull are empty in the winter. The people that live on the north end of GULL lake alone, have more money than everybody on this sight combined. When word of these shenanigans comes to light, fishing on gull lake to the general public will cease. A new lease on the PRAIRIEVILLE access or not means nothing to those with money and power who wish to not be disturbed by "jethro and his cousins".
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #212 on: Feb 03, 2016, 08:48 PM »
Honestly have no use for Gull but will admit most of my icefishing during the '70s was on it, and live closer now. Still consider it the best water I've ever icefished but after returning in the mid-80s and the Salmon plantings, nope. Think the problems are a reflection of our present society, never were any problems back then. Haven't been on it in 30 yrs, and no intentions to do so

Offline netminder34

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #213 on: Feb 04, 2016, 10:27 AM »
Smeltbuster, I am right there with you on the sharing of information.  I have guided and run charters for years and am always willing to talk or teach outdoor activities.  Not much makes me happier than seeing a big smile on the face of someone I have helped land their first fish or harvest their first game animal.  I have stopped posting on a few sites like this one due to actions, comments, and some harassing much like you are experiencing now. It is unfortunate that you did not get a favorable response from the harassment number, as with today's technology it is not as hard to prove as years past.  But regardless someone should be sent out to investigate when there are numerous and continued complaints about the same area.  I have been involved in a few investigations and the officers I have discussed issues with have been nothing but helpful and willing to address the issues.  Only one has been in Michigan and that was farther north not in your area.

OK trying to keep religion out of this, so buying a license for A PRIVELIGE does give me and anyone else that has paid to perform that PRIVELAGE as long as I or they are doing it within the rules and regulations that PRIVELAGE is issued for.  If at anytime I or they step outside the rules then it becomes a different issue and should be handled as such.

Well as I am sitting here responding I am drawn back to my younger days growing up watching Fred Trost.  I guess I draw a lot of my overprotectiveness for our resources from all those shows and military service.  It really sad thinking that an honest sportsman has a hard time doing something that makes them happy, provides for their family, and should be so darn relaxing.  Yep I guess that what it comes down too.

Last thing.  I hate that people have forgotten what the word Illegal means because it is too much of a hassle to deal with.  I cant remember where I heard this to give credit to the author but "Common sense just isn't that Common anymore".

Offline GpaPerchEye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #214 on: Feb 04, 2016, 01:44 PM »
I have not been to the south end in decades, but want to add my KUDOS to you Smeltbuster ! Keep up the good fight. One of my late father's favorite sayings was "illitigimiti non carborundum". Google it. It really fits !!!! Maybe we can catch some from boat when the ice goes.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #215 on: Feb 04, 2016, 02:03 PM »
GpaPerchEye, I Googled it ! Thank You , I will do my best  ;).  As for the ice on 2nd. bay, I just checked it & its not safe enough for me  :(.  The spud went through w/ 1 wack  3  different times , within 20 yds. of shore. I will wait at least until tomorrow, to see if anyone ventured out today.  No sign of anyone on 2nd. bay, as of 2:30 p.m., I will go back out, shortly after noon on Friday to check it again.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #216 on: Feb 05, 2016, 11:29 AM »
Just finished checking 2nd. bay. Some guys did fish last night, or at least went out a ways. I walked out  & spudded my way. The ice seemed a bit tighter than yesterday, but about 50 yds. out, as I was spudding, it cracked loudly ,under me. I promptly got off the lake. I am planning on trying it tomorrow night, but I'm gonna  stay home tonight. I only like to hear cracking ice, in my glass  ;D.
"Yes officer, my chocolate lab did shoot me,with my brothers 12 gauge"!  11-8-87,true story!          "Sorry were late mom,Chris & me just got done with a cow hunt,we each got a big black Angus with our muzzleloaders"!  (the Christmas eve cow hunt w/ my son; 2004 !

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #217 on: Feb 06, 2016, 01:14 PM »
Wondering if anyone ventured out on 2nd. bay last night ? We are trying a new spot tonight, a bit further up the lake.

Offline Hermin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #218 on: Feb 06, 2016, 02:39 PM »
I am considering heading out alone tonight.  No one to fish with.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #219 on: Feb 06, 2016, 09:17 PM »
 Fished north of the Bible Conf. tonight, at a new spot. My brother was able to get us permission. The ice was pretty decent, but we did hit one thin spot, & had to go around it.  The fishing was VERY SLOW :(.  We marked lots of fish, but they would not bite; my 1st. skunk trip in 2 yrs. ???. My brother caught 2 smelt & a small pike on bottom in about 53' of water.  Came by 2nd. bay on the way home & there were a few guys out .  It was like having our own private lake, we could not see anyone else on the ice, from where we were . Maybe the lack of hungry fish explains that situation.

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #220 on: Feb 07, 2016, 05:21 PM »
Anyone check baseline yet? thinking about making the hour trip up there this week.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #221 on: Feb 07, 2016, 06:26 PM »
I will check baseline Rd., & the north end on probably Wed., after work.

Offline GpaPerchEye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #222 on: Feb 07, 2016, 06:36 PM »
It should be making Ice the next few nights, so hope for the best

Offline StabinCabin

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #223 on: Feb 08, 2016, 04:58 AM »
Now it might feel like winter with some much needed cold air. Their talking lake effect snow hope we miss out.
It should be making Ice the next few nights, so hope for the best
Rippin lips one at a time.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #224 on: Feb 08, 2016, 05:24 PM »
I checked the north end today, after work, the ice is unsafe. I threw a tennis ball sized rock out, about 20 yds. & it  went thru the ice. I will check it again, in a couple of days & I will also check Baseline rd. , There is still open spots on the lake, the "Hogsback" is icefree.  Hoping the cold temps will help us out. I will keep you all updated on what I find. Regardless of what you may hear, as of now, the north end is unfishable, on foot.

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #225 on: Feb 08, 2016, 07:25 PM »
Thanks for the update smeltbuster. Its much appreciated!

Offline Wgorby

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #226 on: Feb 09, 2016, 06:35 AM »
Man this winter!! ???  Looks like I may be cutting the shrink wrap off my boat early March this year to smelt fish the North end via boat....could be fun  :P  At least I won't have to walk way out there and moving locations will be a heck of a lot easier!
Follow GorbyGear on FB and Instagram

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #227 on: Feb 09, 2016, 06:55 AM »
Wonder if anyone has ever cut holes in the floor of their pontoon in order to smelt fish the winter when it hasn't froze

Offline 3300

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #228 on: Feb 09, 2016, 08:55 AM »
dave genz had a custom boat made with jig holes. not sure what he fishes for, but it must be important.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #229 on: Feb 09, 2016, 02:39 PM »
You simply fish over the side of the toon, on the downwind side  ;D. Done it once & caught 3 smelt & a huge perch !  The north end is NOT boat fishable  right now, unless you want to use a kayak in about 10' of water. Every time I threaten to get the "Toon" out, it gets cold, so, here goes;  I think I will get it uncovered after dinner tonight  ;D.

Offline Smeltman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #230 on: Feb 09, 2016, 07:23 PM »
 ;D ;D thanks that might just do it Smeltbuster

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #231 on: Feb 09, 2016, 08:15 PM »
A few times now I've heard of big perch takin while smelt fishing, and every time I have tried perch fishing gull lake lately I haven't done well at all lol, maybe I'm just in the wrong area

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #232 on: Feb 09, 2016, 08:42 PM »
Anyone else gonna venture out tomorrow evening? The girlfriend and I are planning on heading up there.

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #233 on: Feb 10, 2016, 03:00 PM »
I just checked the north end & it still has bad shore ice, so I could not get out & check it . As for Baseline rd., I checked it & went out about 20 yds., there is about 1 1/2" of ice. As for all the snow we got today, the north part of the lake has very little snow on it. There are still 2 open areas of water, one is near the 100' hole on the north  end & the other is near the "Hogsback". Both of them are quite large areas. I am planning on fishing Thurs. night, not sure where, right now. Steelheader32, I tried to respond to your PM, but I am having some issues w/ something, on here. I will try again, in a few hrs. !

Offline Zktaylor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #234 on: Feb 10, 2016, 11:38 PM »
Well we decided to head up there tonight. No final count yet, bud I'd say we have close to 150. We walked out to where the second bay opens up in 60fow. Only one other shanty out there. There were quite a few in the second bay though. Had a blast! Ice was about 3.5" and it was kinda sketchy. 

Offline steelheader32

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #235 on: Feb 11, 2016, 01:32 PM »
This Saturday me and my buddies are planning to try and find some perch and panfish and set some tip ups, if anyone has some advice I'd be more than happy to take some advice, we have fished the bay pretty hard lately and have done ok just looking to get away from the crowd some

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #236 on: Feb 11, 2016, 01:49 PM »
This Saturday me and my buddies are planning to try and find some perch and panfish and set some tip ups, if anyone has some advice I'd be more than happy to take some advice, we have fished the bay pretty hard lately and have done ok just looking to get away from the crowd some
    Waiting for my Phone to ring ! Leaving in an Hr. to go smelt fishin .  Was hoping for a perchin trip to my old stomping grounds, in the A.M. !

Offline 2PawsRiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #237 on: Feb 11, 2016, 08:37 PM »
Didn't read it all, but some pretty deep stuff......wanting to head over for Saturday night.....any thoughts on the north end or out from the golf course

Offline smeltbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #238 on: Feb 11, 2016, 09:59 PM »
As of Wed. Afternoon, the north end was not fishable, due to bad shore ice. Baseline rd. had about 1 1/2 ". Just got home from fishing 73' of water off the bible conf., the ice is fine , but the fishing was very slow tonight . I would be very careful about venturing out on the north part of the lake, there were still 2 open  spots of water, on Wed., I was planning on trying Baseline rd. Fri. night, but I think I will pass on that idea. Just too iffy right now.

Offline 2PawsRiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #239 on: Feb 12, 2016, 04:59 AM »
Thank you......will take your advice and pass......Not quite cold enough for ice....still too chilly to swim.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.