Author Topic: Ice Helix 5 - screen too small?  (Read 7600 times)

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ice Helix 5 - screen too small?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 26, 2018, 07:29 AM »
Haven't tried mine on the ice, but I really love it in the jon boat. Just keep in mind that they recommend returning all settings to factory default before you do any updates. Not sure why, but I've played with it enough in demo mode. I can reset them to my liking pretty quickly.

And as a suggestion,  play with it in simulator mode.....A LOT! It has a ton of features and settings. It takes a bit of learning to get full use out of it. Fyi.... It does use the Linux operating system.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 26, 2018, 07:39 AM »
Haven't tried mine on the ice, but I really love it in the jon boat. Just keep in mind that they recommend returning all settings to factory default before you do any updates. Not sure why, but I've played with it enough in demo mode. I can reset them to my liking pretty quickly.

And as a suggestion,  play with it in simulator mode.....A LOT! It has a ton of features and settings. It takes a bit of learning to get full use out of it. Fyi.... It does use the Linux operating system.

I wonder if you can run the https://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/linux-unix-apple-osx-terminal-ascii-aquarium.html if the fishing is slow...

Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline Dakota-Lew

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Jan 26, 2018, 10:34 AM »
I use a helix 5 GPS only on the snowmobile and move it over to the boat. It's small but that's what I like about it. Fits on the job boat, the 20 footer and the sled with ease. I use it for recording catch rate and time etc etc. I guess battery life wise it last all day in the jon boat which is just a 9ah battery from a flasher.

Offline sirjigalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Jan 26, 2018, 11:46 AM »
I use a helix 5 GPS only on the snowmobile and move it over to the boat. It's small but that's what I like about it. Fits on the job boat, the 20 footer and the sled with ease. I use it for recording catch rate and time etc etc. I guess battery life wise it last all day in the jon boat which is just a 9ah battery from a flasher.

Does it have a feature to recorded catch rate and time? Can you explain?

Offline hays47

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 26, 2018, 12:12 PM »
While size might be a important consideration. In choosing between the 5 and 7 Helix. I would not let the power consumption difference of 150 ma. be a factor.

On identical settings on a 9AH hour battery the 7 would last 11.25 hours and the 5 would last 13.4 hours.

On a 12 AH hour battery the 7 would last 15 hours and the 5 would last 18.4 hours.

That is strictly on a mathematical solution. I have never seen a 100% accurate mathematical agree with the actual physical results. But is is close enough to give you an idea of what to expect.

The MOST accurate way is to hook a digital ammeter in series with the positive lead of the power lead of the unit. When unit is fully powered up note the load reading. I use a 0-5 amp rated digital to get an idea of what battery I need for any given usage.
Echomap 94  Chirp with panoptix ps-22.
G.E.F.M

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #35 on: Jan 26, 2018, 12:28 PM »
The ICE 5 and Ice 7 come in the same case, so you're not gaining a size advantage and the weight between the two is minimal. My 7 came with a gimble for a 5 in the box.

Offline Lsranger406

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 26, 2018, 12:44 PM »
I use my helix 5 every other day during hardwater season. Never had a problem reading screen. Only time ive noticed screen hard to see is when its turned into the sun when im standing outside my shelter. Love the unit. Works every time. Have had no issues and this is my second season with it.
America is all about speed hot,nasty,bad a** speed

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 27, 2018, 06:11 AM »
When you go with a Helix 5 or 7 ICE are you just getting a different transducer than what comes with them for soft water use?  and maybe a mount and battery...

Any other differences?  I suspect the flasher screen and all that is just software programming and could be on all Helix units, making it ready for different ducer.

I have a 688 for my boat with an ice ducer for hardwater, still wasn't very good. 

You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 27, 2018, 06:50 AM »
Do the new units give you the option of a standby mode? When unit is powered up, press power button once and an option of standby should be visible. I use this feature all of the time on my Helix 9 units and it is huge for me. Basically it shuts off the screen when not in use and only requires a touch of a button to wake up the unit without a reboot of the software. I had a gen 1 Helix 5 that did not have this feature and am very curious about the new units, especially the Helix 7. Thanks for feedback if you care to let me know on this question!

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Jan 27, 2018, 07:58 AM »
I do believe my Helix 5 SI Chirp has standby mode. I haven't used it yet, but I can see the advantage when hopping from spot to spot.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Jan 27, 2018, 08:08 AM »
When you go with a Helix 5 or 7 ICE are you just getting a different transducer than what comes with them for soft water use?  and maybe a mount and battery...

Any other differences?  I suspect the flasher screen and all that is just software programming and could be on all Helix units, making it ready for different ducer.

I have a 688 for my boat with an ice ducer for hardwater, still wasn't very good.

I would think about getting the Helix 5 Chirp G2 with GPS. You can get them for about $250. More if you want DI or SI. Then for about $100 you can get the ice ducer.  Add your own battery and soft case and you are all set for less then the package deal. Pretty sure the Helix 5 Ice units are still going for $500.

Offline sirjigalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 27, 2018, 02:17 PM »
Do the new units give you the option of a standby mode? When unit is powered up, press power button once and an option of standby should be visible. I use this feature all of the time on my Helix 9 units and it is huge for me. Basically it shuts off the screen when not in use and only requires a touch of a button to wake up the unit without a reboot of the software. I had a gen 1 Helix 5 that did not have this feature and am very curious about the new units, especially the Helix 7. Thanks for feedback if you care to let me know on this question!

It does!

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Jan 27, 2018, 02:43 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys! Didn’t mean to hijack the thread.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 27, 2018, 06:26 PM »
So my Helix 5 arrived...without an ice transducer.  What a PITA.  Anyone have any successful solutions for rigging up the regular transducer to work while out on the ice?  A quick look makes it seem like another 90 bucks or so to get the ice ducer.

I'm excited to get it out onto the ice but I am a bit annoyed that the "ICE" Helix 5 didn't come with the transducer and the fact that there is no real manual is a bit irritating too.

I'm pretty disappointed right now, but I'm sure I will be back to normal excitement when I figure out how to use what I have.  This is the downside of not having a good local place to go to where you can lay your eyes on exactly what is going to be coming your way.

Helix 5 Portable G2

I'm sure it is because I couldn't find the right information on the posting but all the same...a bit bummed and to top it all off the weather sucks so I'm grounded until at least Wednesday.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Jan 27, 2018, 06:29 PM »
A day late and all that but if you are looking at any of the Helix offerings I would recommend checking out the online manual to see exactly what features are available on the unit you pick:

https://www.humminbird.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=14120

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 27, 2018, 08:22 PM »
A day late and all that but if you are looking at any of the Helix offerings I would recommend checking out the online manual to see exactly what features are available on the unit you pick:

https://www.humminbird.com/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=14120

That's what I did. Download the PDF file. It has all the info you need.

Offline sirjigalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 27, 2018, 09:04 PM »
Off topic but can anyone give me the step by step on navigating to SmartStrike on the Helix G2? I have it on the encrypted SD but can't find it enabled in the system...

Offline prospector

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Jan 28, 2018, 12:01 AM »
Off topic but can anyone give me the step by step on navigating to SmartStrike on the Helix G2? I have it on the encrypted SD but can't find it enabled in the system...
Not sure if this will help. On my unit, I make sure and exit out of everything including GPS coordinates and then press the checkmark button which brings up smart strike at the top of the screen. Not even sure if this is exactly what you were looking for, But I hope it helps.

Offline Fishwacker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Jan 28, 2018, 12:20 AM »
So my Helix 5 arrived...without an ice transducer.  What a PITA.  Anyone have any successful solutions for rigging up the regular transducer to work while out on the ice?  A quick look makes it seem like another 90 bucks or so to get the ice ducer.

I'm excited to get it out onto the ice but I am a bit annoyed that the "ICE" Helix 5 didn't come with the transducer and the fact that there is no real manual is a bit irritating too.

I'm pretty disappointed right now, but I'm sure I will be back to normal excitement when I figure out how to use what I have.  This is the downside of not having a good local place to go to where you can lay your eyes on exactly what is going to be coming your way.

Helix 5 Portable G2

I'm sure it is because I couldn't find the right information on the posting but all the same...a bit bummed and to top it all off the weather sucks so I'm grounded until at least Wednesday.

Google image ( loop the cord Helix 5 ). About the fourth picture in shows how to rig a normal transducer. I did that while the Chirp ice Ducer was on back order.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Jan 28, 2018, 07:26 AM »
Looks like a couple of quick zip ties and good to go - thanks that looks like an elegant solution.  How do you control the amount of cable dropping into the hole with this setup?

Offline Fishwacker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 28, 2018, 07:40 AM »
Mine is set up in a genz box. I wrap the cord around the head unit and just plop it in the hole. Adjust where the unit sits on the snow/lake so the Ducer is just below the ice. Be aware when it’s really cold to move the cord every so often before it freezes in due to shrinking of the hole. Made that mistake years back overnight. Almost got me again when temps were below zero this year.

Offline sirjigalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Jan 28, 2018, 08:48 AM »
Not sure if this will help. On my unit, I make sure and exit out of everything including GPS coordinates and then press the checkmark button which brings up smart strike at the top of the screen. Not even sure if this is exactly what you were looking for, But I hope it helps.

Thanks Prospector! I actually had to reload everything onto the SD again. Got it working.

Offline mdrobny

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • common sense is no longer common
« Reply #52 on: Jan 28, 2018, 09:04 AM »
you can make a set of cables w/ alligator clips on all ends about 15' long and jump to your quad battery for a back up. would save a few pounds. I made mine out of heavy gauge speaker wire.

Offline Blue Tiger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Jan 28, 2018, 11:50 AM »
How can they sell the ice unit without an ice ducer,or is this common?

Helix 5 Portable G2

Offline Mountain Maggot

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Waiting for the next Ice Age
« Reply #54 on: Jan 28, 2018, 12:13 PM »
Looks like a couple of quick zip ties and good to go - thanks that looks like an elegant solution.  How do you control the amount of cable dropping into the hole with this setup?

Sorry to hear you got a unit without a ducer.   Yes you need to read the fine print not only with Hummingbird but all of them.  Like buying a vehicle without wheels.

Now I did manage to get a complete unit.  My transducer came with a foam sleeve that is similar to pipe insulation and a clip so that you can adjust the depth to place the ducer just below ice.

I hope you get your ducer soon  :-[

Offline Scout 24

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Feb 04, 2018, 04:05 PM »
I've used 3 different 5" Lowrances over the last 15 years but always next to the hole I'm fishing, never felt a need for anything bigger till the Ice Helix 7 G2 came out. Probably don't need one that big either but all FF's are getting bigger and some bass guys are now running 4 12" units. Unfortunately the 7" unit has been on backorder for 6 weeks and they keep pushing it further back. I love the 2D chirp on my 9" Helix and the Ice Helix has 2 transducer settings (wide and narrow) and Interference Rejection for my too close buddies. It uses a little more juice but will last 7-8 hrs with the standard 9ah battery. Lead acid 9ah batteries are 5- 5 1/2 pds while a 10ah lithium Ion (Dakota) weighs 2 pds, 10 ounces. I fish a 7ah Dakota that weighs 2.2 pds and get 6-7 hrs ice fishing, if weight is a concern. If you check out the YouTubes on the Ice Helix G2, the 7" is a much bigger screen than the 2" make it look, compared to the 5".

Offline sirjigalot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 04, 2018, 11:19 PM »
I've used 3 different 5" Lowrances over the last 15 years but always next to the hole I'm fishing, never felt a need for anything bigger till the Ice Helix 7 G2 came out. Probably don't need one that big either but all FF's are getting bigger and some bass guys are now running 4 12" units. Unfortunately the 7" unit has been on backorder for 6 weeks and they keep pushing it further back. I love the 2D chirp on my 9" Helix and the Ice Helix has 2 transducer settings (wide and narrow) and Interference Rejection for my too close buddies. It uses a little more juice but will last 7-8 hrs with the standard 9ah battery. Lead acid 9ah batteries are 5- 5 1/2 pds while a 10ah lithium Ion (Dakota) weighs 2 pds, 10 ounces. I fish a 7ah Dakota that weighs 2.2 pds and get 6-7 hrs ice fishing, if weight is a concern. If you check out the YouTubes on the Ice Helix G2, the 7" is a much bigger screen than the 2" make it look, compared to the 5".

I e had a chance to use it a few times over the last couple of weeks. I love the unit but wish I would have the 7. The 5's screen is just a bit too small.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #57 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:37 AM »
Put the new helix through it's paces this weekend.

Battery Life: 
 * ran for 10 hours with the battery and no troubles
 * recharged in about 5 hours
 * Screen size - I didn't have any issues with the screen size (actually touching on the original thread question :) )

I am definitely going to be looking for an ice ducer.  the transom mounted one, even with the few hacks I put together to get it to hang correctly still doesn't seem to consistently put the cone direclty under the unit so I wasn't able to very often see my jigs and wasn't necessarily seeing the fish under my hole.  The sonar was clearly working and i was marking fish but I wasn't able to see the impact of my jigs on the fish.

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 06, 2018, 07:56 AM »
I was considering the 7 instead of the 5. Then I saw them in person at Bass Pro and the 7 was pretty huge compared to the 5. Lots of dead space on the screen area too. What I mean is from the edge of the actual part that displays to the edge of the screen surface has got to be a 1/2" all the way around. If they could get rid of the dead space and shrink the overall size of the unit while keeping the 7" display I think it would be better.

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #59 on: Feb 06, 2018, 08:10 PM »
X2 on the comment above about making sure you don't freeze your ducer cord in to the side of the hole.  Not fun. 

For those of you with the 7, how does it fit in the soft pack?  The pictures I've seen, it seems like the 7 sort of bulges out the sides.  Do they use the same soft pack for the 5 and the 7? 

i would think the 5 fits better on the Genz box.  Less of it hanging over the sides. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.