Author Topic: Hook Size/Type for Jigging and Tip Ups  (Read 3211 times)

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hook Size/Type for Jigging and Tip Ups
« on: Oct 13, 2015, 01:54 PM »
Ok, I am trying to be proactive this year and get my setups solidified for the upcoming season.

I fish multispecies (perch, walleye, blue gill) lakes so with that in mind what recommendations do you all have for the following:

Tip ups/Deadsticks:  I plan on using circle hooks.  I just need to know what size hook or model.  What # test for a the leader?

Jigging:  I am up for any suggestions.  I have been looking at PK spoons and Swedish Pimples but historically I have used buckshot rattler and regular weighted jigs with sporadic success.  Again, what hook size/type and what # test do you all recommend.

I understand there is not necessarily a one stop shop setup for every fish, but I would like to be prepared with the best all around setup that increases my chances.

Any practical advice would be appreciated.

d1

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Hook Size/Type for Jigging and Tip Ups
« Reply #1 on: Oct 13, 2015, 05:09 PM »
For hooks I run #12 trebles hooked right in the back by the dorsal fin with a few glow beads for color and usually a 6 or 8 lb leader.  For jigging Buckshots and Pimples are good, I also like Jigging Raps in #5 and #7 and Shiver Minnows in #1 and #2.  A lot of folks like lipless crankbaits like the Live Forage Rippin Shad and darters like the Salmo Chubby Darter or Lindy Darter, but I've personally never done much good on them.  Blade baits are also an option.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 13, 2015, 09:43 PM »
For hooks I run #12 trebles hooked right in the back by the dorsal fin with a few glow beads for color and usually a 6 or 8 lb leader.  For jigging Buckshots and Pimples are good, I also like Jigging Raps in #5 and #7 and Shiver Minnows in #1 and #2.  A lot of folks like lipless crankbaits like the Live Forage Rippin Shad and darters like the Salmo Chubby Darter or Lindy Darter, but I've personally never done much good on them.  Blade baits are also an option.

Thanks for the reply and advice.  As far as the #12 trebles go, do you find them too small when the bait is on the hook?  Did you have many instances where minnows were robbed using that size hook?

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 14, 2015, 03:50 AM »
They work fine with large fatheads which is what I normally use, and on smaller shiners.  If I'm using bigger shiners or suckers I'll sometimes go up to a #10.  You can bend one of the hooks out just a little bit to make it easier for baiting if need be.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2015, 07:12 PM »
On my tip-ups I normally run 10 lb fluoro leaders with #8 trebles or a #6 circle hook but unlike RapShack I am normally using 5-6 inch suckers.

Last year I caught so many fish with Slender Spoons from Custom Jigs and Spins, was first year I used them. I always had 1 rod with 1/8 oz and another with 1/16 oz. The 1/16 oz is a great bait very versatile I caught bluegills, perch, crappies, white bass, and plenty of walleyes on them last year.

Offline defiant1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2015, 06:47 AM »
On my tip-ups I normally run 10 lb fluoro leaders with #8 trebles or a #6 circle hook but unlike RapShack I am normally using 5-6 inch suckers.

Last year I caught so many fish with Slender Spoons from Custom Jigs and Spins, was first year I used them. I always had 1 rod with 1/8 oz and another with 1/16 oz. The 1/16 oz is a great bait very versatile I caught bluegills, perch, crappies, white bass, and plenty of walleyes on them last year.

Thank you for the feedback.  I was looking at the slender spoons as well, but I didn't know anyone that used them.  I will get a few and try them out. 

Offline Walleyerus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2015, 09:18 PM »
Yep Lots of great hooks out there. But if you have not tried a PK take a look they are killers for sure. The Predator is unreal for Pan fish and so are the PK spoons and Flutterfish. for bigger fish that swim> :tipup: :tipup: Good luck this year on the Ice>>

Offline Legend Boats

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2015, 11:21 AM »
For tip ups I tend to use 8 or 10lb test flouro leader. Depending on what species I'm chasing, I will vary my hook sizes from #10 or #12. As far as jigging, you can seldom go wrong with Swedish pimples, however in the past years I've had great luck with Fergies and even the new Freedom Tackle Minnow Spoon. Always be open to changing up your setup as the need arises and you won't be left skunked on the ice!
Cheers Becky - Legend Boats

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.