The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Proper gas for small engines!  (Read 142438 times)

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
Re: Proper gas for small engines!
« Reply #120 on: Dec 21, 2010, 07:24 PM »
This is one of the best topics/threads on the whole site!  I just got a new nils master and have ordered the amsoil to use in it.  Really excited now that I know how to run and maintain my auger, Thank so much everyone for your posts and input

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: glad we all could help ;D

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #121 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:14 PM »
I've been running with 87 octane gas since I got my auger. The only stuff we can get around here w/o octane is 91.  Will running 91 vs 87 make any difference for the better or worse?

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #122 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:36 PM »
I've been running with 87 octane gas since I got my auger. The only stuff we can get around here w/o octane is 91.  Will running 91 vs 87 make any difference for the better or worse?

I read that you should only use 87 octane in your auger.  I think if you read earlier posts it talks about that and the advantages of using 87
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline mrch33

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flag UP!
« Reply #123 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:38 PM »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: glad we all could help ;D

Yeah Im in the same boat, really excited about my new power auger now that I know how run and maintain it!  Thanks so much lonewolf
Tight Lines Boys!

Offline SpoonieLuv

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #124 on: Jan 04, 2011, 03:42 PM »
I have the Amsoil and Seafoam, and plan on using a 1 gallon can. To get to a 50:1 ratio can someone make it easy for me and tell me how much oil/seafoam to add to the gallon of gas? Also I see the strikemaster website said you could use a hotter spark plug to make it more efficient, anyone tried this and did you notice a difference? If you did change to a "hotter" plug did you need to "retune" the agurer? Thanks.

Spoonie

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:59 PM »
http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html

There's an easy calculator for the oil/additives.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #126 on: Jan 04, 2011, 05:00 PM »
I read that you should only use 87 octane in your auger.  I think if you read earlier posts it talks about that and the advantages of using 87

I read about the ethanol in gas not being good for those 2 strokes. That's why I started on the 91.  Not sure if it makes much of a difference though.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #127 on: Jan 04, 2011, 05:44 PM »
everyone should get a ethanol tester. In my are I have found 3% at unmarked pumps and 8% at 10% marked pumps(summer). I have never seen more than 3% during the winter months. I have never had an issue but then I use opti-2 which has a fule stabalizer along with  stabil marine ethanol treatment. No need to run premium fuel in an engine designed to run on 87 oct a waste of fuel/engery.

Offline FISH-MITS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Jan 05, 2011, 08:35 PM »
I run 105 octane airplane fuel with ams oil in my pro solo razor - no need for stabilizer as the fuel never goes bad. Picked the fuel up at a small local airport. Might run a a tad hot but not going to kill it. Expensive but 1 gallon goes a long way. Going to start storing my summer equipment with a little 105 in the bottom of the tank and carb. I don't run ethanol in any of my small engines - sticky garbage in my perspective.
"Catch Em' While You Can"

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #129 on: Jan 06, 2011, 09:17 AM »
isn't that leaded??

Offline MainelyCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #130 on: Jan 08, 2011, 06:46 PM »
Propane!!!!

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:40 PM »
Maybe down south where it's warmer, but you're not gonna see me slugging a 45lb propane auger up here.  I'm still a bit skeptical about that setup when we're fishing in -35c weather.

Offline allpurposeoil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #132 on: Jan 10, 2011, 12:22 AM »

hey guys well my year of sponsoring iceshanty is almost up instead of driving all over town u can go to allpurposeoil.com

~Brian Heath

When You Call Us Mention Iceshanty

Offline Rubberdaddy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #133 on: Jan 17, 2011, 10:49 PM »
Just picked up my first batch of Amsoil today. Can't wait to see the Jiffy roar like never before

Offline Hesperus

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Jan 28, 2011, 04:32 PM »
I run Klotz mixed at 50:1 in all of my 2 strokes (mostly husqvarna saws) including the Lawn Boy which calls for 32:1.  I try to get the best gas (91-93 octane) with no ethanol and do use Stabil when I mix.  I never drain my tanks or run them out.  I tend to keep them full when I think of it.

Last year I did not fish the ice at all.  I lent my Jiffy to my Brother and made sure he ran my gas.  I just started it up today in anticipation of a trip tomorrow and not one complaint although it is stored inside the shop at 60°f.

Oh yeah  I use No-spill cans now nearly exclusively.  VERY sweet units they are not quite foolproof, but when you have them sealed up right they are awesome.   

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #135 on: Feb 06, 2011, 05:14 AM »
my lazer mag calls for 24:1 smoked like crazy and really didn't run well i switched it to strike master smokeless 40:1 and it runs like a bear and no smoke and i put startron and stabilizer in my fuel

Offline mccabedoug

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #136 on: Feb 15, 2011, 06:52 PM »
I am stoked to read this thread. Like a lot of people I've an older Jiffy Model 30 that starts (first pull) like a dream but has some recent troubles when it is breaking through the ice into the water (bottom of the hole). I've read and digested the jet screw adjustments, but before doing so, I am going to buy some Opti2, some Seafoam and combine with Stabil and fresh 91 octane gasoline.

Offline ZPalm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #137 on: Feb 23, 2011, 09:16 PM »
Great information.  For someone with little knowledge of engines, this is a great resource!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #138 on: Feb 24, 2011, 12:31 AM »
Great information.  For someone with little knowledge of engines, this is a great resource!

So is the Amsoil web site.                           But, that's easy for me to say, as I've been a LIFETIME dealer for
                                                                                                                                24 years.

To give you confidence in the products in Amsoil, knowing how each is developed and formulated is important. It all begins with a goal of offering the most efficient product to allow the consumer/user to absolutely know nothing better is available, at least not on this planet. Cost is never considered in the development of these items, as that would jeopardize as well as negate the original goal. They do initial testing of these products, and  test and compare with other leading similar items to prove to themselves success has been achieved. But, they don't stop there ~ they pay unbiased independent labs to test and certify the results which are then published. But they don't stop there either as they have continued this since the early 1970s.

Learn to work the site and have all your questions resolved.

http://www.amsoil.com/

Offline Crappieb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #139 on: Mar 20, 2011, 07:54 AM »
Really great info and inputs from everyone. That's what this site is and should be all about. Great job!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #140 on: Sep 06, 2011, 10:13 AM »
http://youtu.be/B-3Tnx1HSRQ

For those that think Ethanol is OK......
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #141 on: Sep 13, 2011, 04:13 PM »

To give you confidence in the products in Amsoil, knowing how each is developed and formulated is important. It all begins with a goal of offering the most efficient product to allow the consumer/user to absolutely know nothing better is available, at least not on this planet. Cost is never considered in the development of these items, as that would jeopardize as well as negate the original goal. They do initial testing of these products, and  test and compare with other leading similar items to prove to themselves success has been achieved. But, they don't stop there ~ they pay unbiased independent labs to test and certify the results which are then published. But they don't stop there either as they have continued this since the early 1970s.

And, in Amsoil's quest to provide the most superior and efficient products available anywhere, comes their recent addition of yet another product to prevent down time and long life of all, that's right all, your equipment.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ast.aspx 

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #142 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:33 PM »
Sweet, but since Im half retarded can someone tell me what kind of Amsoil to purchase for my Eskimo z51. There is quite a variety.

In addition, I purchased a new Honda ATV in 2010. It suggests to use the recommended oil made by Honda. Should I use Amsoil in my ATV as well? Snowmachine? Sorry, not much of an engine guy............ ??? ??? ??? ???
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #143 on: Nov 21, 2011, 07:45 PM »
i use AMSOIL in everything I own..  use the 0W40 oil for the ATV,  use AMSOIL SABRE 100:1 for the 2 stroke oil for your mix.  you can mix it a little richer like 80:1.  Snowmobile use amsoil interceptor injection oil.  their website is really helpful to look up your equipment, if you are still uncertain you can use the website to locate the "local dealer" and give them a call they are more than willing to set you up right..  its how I got to be introduced to AMSOIL and now I am on verge of doing a dealership...

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #144 on: Nov 22, 2011, 11:00 AM »
Thanks Mainduk, Ill check to see if this stuff will work with my units!! Much appreciated!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #145 on: Nov 22, 2011, 11:12 AM »
Sweet, but since Im half retarded can someone tell me what kind of Amsoil to purchase for my Eskimo z51. There is quite a variety.

In addition, I purchased a new Honda ATV in 2010. It suggests to use the recommended oil made by Honda. Should I use Amsoil in my ATV as well? Snowmachine? Sorry, not much of an engine guy............ ??? ??? ??? ???
Amsoil Saber Professdional 100:i premx oil. I use it in all my two strokes mixed at about 80:1. Amsoil should be good for your snow machine or ATV, but probably not Saber. I'm sure someone on here will know what to recommend for them. I use Arctic Cat synthetic 0w40 in my cat which works well for me.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #146 on: Nov 22, 2011, 11:26 AM »
As a lifetime dealer for more than 20 years, the best advice I have for all, is go to this link, scroll to the various products and click the "For more information" with the RIGHTHAND button and select "open in a new TAB". Keeps you from loosing your place. Do this for each of the products, read, understand and keep notes, or print the page.

http://www.amsoil.com/a/synthetic-2-cycle-oil

They also have a few Fuel additives.

http://www.amsoil.com/a/Fuel-Additives-Performance-Improver

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #147 on: Nov 25, 2011, 09:04 PM »
Using Sabre Pro but I mixed it at 50:1 with some Seafoam.........the dealer I bought it from wasnt home but I talked to his wife. He's gonna set me up with the Interceptor for my sled and Im not sure about the ATV, I think he has somthing else for that.

Im happy so far, all Ive been able to do is let-er run in the garage and pretend like I was fishin' ;D

Offline Coss13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #148 on: Dec 27, 2011, 05:49 PM »
Just picked up the OPTI2 at the local hardware store.  Going to mix it tomorrow and put it in my Auger . 

Just some FYI for anyone in the Northern IL or Southern WI area looking for OPTI 2 , you can find it at the local ACE Hardware for $2.50 or so
It's all about how you wiggle your worm in the ice hole

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #149 on: Dec 27, 2011, 11:53 PM »
I use reg gas and 40:1 mix with stihl oil

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.