The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Proper gas for small engines!  (Read 142579 times)

Offline Walleye Annihilator

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Proper gas for small engines!
« Reply #150 on: Dec 27, 2011, 11:56 PM »
I use reg gas and 40:1 mix with stihl oil

SAME

Offline Coss13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #151 on: Dec 28, 2011, 12:09 PM »
I use reg gas and 40:1 mix with stihl oil

SAME

And hows it work , Less smoke ? 
It's all about how you wiggle your worm in the ice hole

Offline sperley03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #152 on: Jan 01, 2012, 03:53 PM »
Sweet, but since Im half retarded can someone tell me what kind of Amsoil to purchase for my Eskimo z51. There is quite a variety.

In addition, I purchased a new Honda ATV in 2010. It suggests to use the recommended oil made by Honda. Should I use Amsoil in my ATV as well? Snowmachine? Sorry, not much of an engine guy............ ??? ??? ??? ???

Amsoil Sabre Professional100:1 pre mix oil. Can order it in 1.5oz, 3.5oz, 8oz bottles, or by the quart.

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #153 on: Jan 12, 2012, 12:31 PM »
well, I have been running my first tank of amsoil saber pro through my Eskimo Z71..... It seems to warm up faster, run smoother, starts easier, ect.... Well worth the $10 for a quart. Should last me about 5 years. I also run seafoam in my gas. My first tank was mixed 80:1....
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline MNEric90

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #154 on: Feb 04, 2012, 10:39 PM »
I just bought a StrikeMaster Lazer Mag today and used the strikemaster oil and 91 octane mix. should i just throw out the other gas and switch to amsoil? I also looked and there are only 8oz bottles, how do i go about measuring 2.6oz of oil to mix? any utensils to buy to do this?

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #156 on: Feb 06, 2012, 12:32 PM »
I just bought a StrikeMaster Lazer Mag today and used the strikemaster oil and 91 octane mix. should i just throw out the other gas and switch to amsoil? I also looked and there are only 8oz bottles, how do i go about measuring 2.6oz of oil to mix? any utensils to buy to do this?
I have a cheep OXO kitchen measuring cup I bought and leave it in the garage..  my wife got mad when I used her pampered chef one  :-) ::) ::)

Offline hoppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #157 on: Feb 28, 2012, 06:46 PM »
Use it. I used interceptor before I switched over to klotz. I use klotz in all of my air cooled engines. I am a firewood dealer in the summer. No issues.

Going to use eskimo viper oil for the new auger for a few tanks, then not sure what I am going to use. Amsoil has left a sour taste in my mouth after my sled issues.

Klotz Fan Here!!!!

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #158 on: Mar 19, 2012, 10:15 AM »
I have now switched to using OPTI-1. as it runs really good at 80:1 mix. Whens thats gone I will switch to Saber. As i can get it locally and now they stock the 2 gal bottle with a qt bottle.

Offline thebigshowshel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #159 on: Nov 02, 2012, 10:57 PM »
Is it better to use a pre-mixed solution or to mix it yourself?
I just bought an ice auger that calls a 50:1 solution and I haven't ever had to think about it before using a hand auger lol.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
thebigshowshel :)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #160 on: Nov 02, 2012, 11:38 PM »
I mix my own using sthil 2 cycle oil and never had a problem.  Mixing your own is a lot cheaper than premix especially if you have to order it and have it shipped.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #161 on: Nov 03, 2012, 03:03 AM »
Stihl here too.  And they call it premix because to use it you got to add it to gas. It doesn't come mixed with gas so do not buy a 2 gallon bottle and pour in your engine.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline thebigshowshel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #162 on: Nov 04, 2012, 08:15 PM »
Thank you, appreciate it!
thebigshowshel  :)

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #163 on: Nov 05, 2012, 07:30 AM »
Is it better to use a pre-mixed solution or to mix it yourself?
I just bought an ice auger that calls a 50:1 solution and I haven't ever had to think about it before using a hand auger lol.
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks,
thebigshowshel :)
If this is a brand new auger, run your first tank with standard mix oil at 50:1 to let all the piston rings etc to seat..  then you can swith to a amsoil sabre and mix it approx 80:1 and it will run great!

Offline thebigshowshel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #164 on: Nov 08, 2012, 10:57 PM »
Thank you, I really appreciate that. 
I just picked up some Amsoil Sabre today based on what I've read about it.
I do have a brand new auger so would I be able to use the Amsoil at a different ratio?  Or what is your opinion and suggestion?
Thanks again,
thebigshowshel  :)

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #165 on: Nov 09, 2012, 07:52 AM »
you can run the first tank at 50:1 with the sabre and then increase the ratio  i ran mine 80:1 mixed with 2x the dose of regular stabil and 93octane gas. 

to calculate the amount of oil you need
(#us gallons of gas X 128ounces) divided by your ratio you want (i.e 80, for 80:1)

for example   1gal gas X128oz/80   = 1.6 ounce of 2 stroke oil

Offline anglerbrian

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Fun n Games Til Someone loses a Walleye
« Reply #166 on: Nov 11, 2012, 03:35 PM »
I have a 1997 Jiffy with the Tecumseh TC300 2 hp motor.  For the first 10 years I ran it at the reccomended 24:1 ratio. The last 4 at 40:1 with the jiffy oil that comes in the tune up kits.
After cleaning out my carboned up muffler this year I switched to Amsoil saber at 100:1 with a couple capfulls of Seafoam in my 1 gallon container. I put  A TANKFUL THROUGH IT AND IT IS RUNNING as good as ever probably better than ever. I did have to adjust my idle screw after to slow it down. I think this is great stuff no smoke starts good lots of others swear by it. You can teach an old dog new tricks.
Old fishermen never die, they just smell that way.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #167 on: Nov 11, 2012, 03:54 PM »
This old dawg has been using Amsoil Saber for a long time in everything and swear by it.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #168 on: Nov 11, 2012, 04:08 PM »
I'll stick with Opti-2.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #169 on: Nov 12, 2012, 08:00 AM »
This old dawg has been using Amsoil Saber for a long time in everything and swear by it.
Its great stuff
I did have to adjust my idle screw after to slow it down. I think this is great stuff no smoke starts good lots of others swear by it. You can teach an old dog new tricks.
you are correct in having to adjust the carb screws...  after the first tank I ran through mine it seemed it would bog, but after some adjustment it ran like the best with great shift into that strong cutting gear.....

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #170 on: Dec 05, 2012, 05:04 AM »
i switched to sabre last year after reading some of the info here... Well, a year later I have been running it in my chainsaw, leaf blower, eskimo shark, weedeater, ect and its awesome stuff! All my small engines start easier, run with less vibration, less smoke ect.... I will never buy any other type of oil. It costs twice as much as everything else but I use half as much oil so it evens out financially and my equip performes alot better!!!!! also, I run 80-1 and add alittle seafoam to every 1 gallon tank that I mix.... Great stuff!!!!
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #171 on: Dec 05, 2012, 08:21 AM »
i switched to sabre last year after reading some of the info here... Well, a year later I have been running it in my chainsaw, leaf blower, eskimo shark, weedeater, ect and its awesome stuff! All my small engines start easier, run with less vibration, less smoke ect.... I will never buy any other type of oil. It costs twice as much as everything else but I use half as much oil so it evens out financially and my equip performes alot better!!!!! also, I run 80-1 and add alittle seafoam to every 1 gallon tank that I mix.... Great stuff!!!!

x3852
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline william bennett

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " FLAGS UP>>GET IT"
« Reply #172 on: Dec 07, 2012, 08:43 PM »
i have been running the opti mix in all my  mixed gas for the auger to  chainsaws to weedeaters  leafblowers and snowblower.. man this stuff is so darn good. been using for for  a few years now   never looked back..bill
William Bennett

Everybody needs some form of release.......... I fish
(Grumpy Old Men)

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #173 on: Dec 07, 2012, 09:03 PM »
I've found that I can't afford anything but the best on the Planet ~ Amsoil Sabre.     ;)2

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #174 on: Dec 08, 2012, 07:47 AM »
I've found that I can't afford anything but the best on the Planet ~ Amsoil Sabre.     ;)2
If you like that then you need to look into AMSOIL interceptor for Snowmobiles... 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaImEatPebQ&feature=player_embedded

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #175 on: Dec 08, 2012, 01:34 PM »
If you like that then you need to look into AMSOIL interceptor for Snowmobiles... 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaImEatPebQ&feature=player_embedded

It's been part of my inventory on the shelf since it was developed.  When I think back 34 years, to my first encounter, it's just amazing the knowledge one accumulates in that time. And being a Lifetime dealer helps, too.
Too bad they quit allowing LT's.  Something I've learned ~ some folks just can't be told the truth, as, it seems so unbelievable that only the best is in the line of products.
This isn't aimed at you MDB, I know you know this. Just spreading the facts to help non believers.    ;)2

Offline BlueDevil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #176 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:59 PM »
I'm running my Eskimo Shark 100:1!!!!

//.\\//.\\ark

Offline jerrife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #177 on: Jan 04, 2013, 03:22 PM »
For all you Adirondack  boys, I was down in Queensbury today and FISH307 has pillow packs of the Amsoil Saber. I baught the last one the had today but they have more coming :thumbsup: :clap: :bow:
           :thumbsup: BUBBA ARMY :thumbsup:

Offline TightlineMT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #178 on: Jan 10, 2013, 10:47 PM »
If this is a brand new auger, run your first tank with standard mix oil at 50:1 to let all the piston rings etc to seat..  then you can swith to a amsoil sabre and mix it approx 80:1 and it will run great!
THANK YOU!!!

Was wondering if i should burn up the couple of single gallon 50:1 doses of Eskimo 2 stroke oil in my brand new Tanaka, then switch to the Saber Professional. I will order some of the Saber and do a break in on my new Nils powerhead tomorrow with this info you provided. Thanks!

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #179 on: Jan 11, 2013, 05:25 AM »
THANK YOU!!!

Was wondering if i should burn up the couple of single gallon 50:1 doses of Eskimo 2 stroke oil in my brand new Tanaka, then switch to the Saber Professional. I will order some of the Saber and do a break in on my new Nils powerhead tomorrow with this info you provided. Thanks!
  I would say that you can run that extra stuff you have.  Then do the amsoil, no sense in wasting it.  you may want to change the plug when you switch..  make sure you add Seafoam and some Stabil (double dose) or Amsoil quickshot fuel system cleaner and stabilizer.  you will not be disappointed.  especially since you will then be able to use one mix for every 2 stroke you own!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.