Author Topic: First time for northerns!  (Read 1305 times)

Offline icekid20

• IceShanty Rookie
First time for northerns!
« on: Nov 27, 2012, 11:29 PM »
Never really targeted the northerns before. What would be the best structured areas and depth of water to fish them in? Any info would be helpful

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
Re: First time for northerns!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2012, 11:37 PM »
I typically fish them in less than 8 feet of water, in Bays or off points both with weeds. Fish a shiner on a tip up a couple feet off bottom
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline icekid20

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2012, 11:39 PM »
Thanks for the info. Does the color of the line on the tip up matter and how would you typically set up the tip up rig. I ran tip ups with northland tip up rid with a shiner but never had any luck.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2012, 11:54 PM »
I've always used the black line. Tied a leader on it or a chunk of fluorocarbon on as a leader. A red treble hook about size 6. Some of the lakes around here i will put the minnow a few inches off bottom or just of the top of the weeds
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline Fish_tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Lake Scugog, Ontario
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2012, 12:52 AM »
My first season as well...

I am targeting pike to eat, hammer handles to 10lbs I guess.  I understand that the big ones love dead baits, but will mid sized northerns eat dead bait too or should i go with live large minnows for eater size? I am not even sure if you can eat the monster size pike? Are they polluted? Regards, FT
><(((((((((( {•<  .. .  ..... . ><(((•>

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2012, 05:11 AM »
Pike will eat live or dead minnows.  Depending on the day and body of water, dead minnows may be the only way to go.  I had a great spot I used to fish.  I would use live suckers, and live shiners.  Some days the suckers would really out produce shiners, other days shiners were the way to go.  Most days it was about equal. 

As far as where to fish, start with a good pike lake.  As has been said, bays, or points are good.  Any place that funnels fish is also worth a look.  Depending how many tipups you can use, vary the depth of water fished, and the depth you set the tipup.  I have caught fish setting the minnow just under the ice, all the way to just off of the bottom.  I have also caught lots of pike in very shallow water, and deeper water too.  Don't be afraid to move your tip ups too.  If your spread is not producing, try moving to a different hole.  Sometimes a small move can make a huge difference. 

Hope this helps.

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2012, 02:01 PM »
My first season as well...

I am targeting pike to eat, hammer handles to 10lbs I guess.  I understand that the big ones love dead baits, but will mid sized northerns eat dead bait too or should i go with live large minnows for eater size? I am not even sure if you can eat the monster size pike? Are they polluted? Regards, FT

28-32 inch are the prime eating size in my opinion. Any bigger and they look and taste like muddy mush. Those smaller sized ones though....some of the best eats you can have if you know how to clean them

Offline swamp puppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2012, 02:19 PM »
it may just be me but i find the more often you check your bait the better. a lot of the times live bait will hide in the weeds if it can reach it. try to set it about a foot above the weed tops. this might mean right under the ice. also i find i get a lot of flags right after lowering my bait back down the hole. i think pike and bass will sit there and watch the bait a lot and when it disappears and then re appears swimming around it triggers them to hit.

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2012, 03:39 PM »
it may just be me but i find the more often you check your bait the better. a lot of the times live bait will hide in the weeds if it can reach it. try to set it about a foot above the weed tops. this might mean right under the ice. also i find i get a lot of flags right after lowering my bait back down the hole. i think pike and bass will sit there and watch the bait a lot and when it disappears and then re appears swimming around it triggers them to hit.
Agree, a lot of flags will come a minute or two after checking your bait I've noticed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.