Author Topic: octupus hooks for pike  (Read 2776 times)

Offline fishin buddy

• Team IceShanty Regular
octupus hooks for pike
« on: Mar 05, 2009, 05:49 PM »
Anyone eevr used octups hooks for big pike? I was thinking of taking and some how hooking a couple into big bait under a tip up for pike. Probably a number 2? size. Any ideas suggestions;good,bad ,other. I was hoping maybe it will up my hook set rate. :tipup:

Offline dabluz

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: octupus hooks for pike
« Reply #1 on: Mar 06, 2009, 11:16 AM »
I haven't had the chance to use circle hooks (if that's what you mean by octopus hooks) but if I ever do use circle hooks, they would be quite large and I would let the pike move away and hook himself as he is moving away.

Octopus hooks.....I use them all the time for any fish species.  My favourite octopus hooks are Gamakatsu.  I have been using them for many years now.

Offline deadbait dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ><(((((((((((((((((((((o>
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2009, 03:27 PM »
that's all i use is gama's octopus 2/0 and 3/0 hooks! they don't come un-glued!
trout make big pike fat and happy!

Offline hardwater603

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2009, 07:05 PM »
I agree with Deadbait thats all that I ever use is  gamakatsu octapus hooks, I haven't hit any big Pike yet but the ones I have they stick nicely
FISH ON!!!

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 21, 2009, 06:22 PM »
Octupus hooks, octupus hooks, octupus hooks. Best pike hooks i've ever used. I use 3/0 with all size bait. They hook and don't come out.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline yog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2009, 03:16 PM »
just put them and power pro line on tip-ups, this will me my first test :tipup:

Offline JDN

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • JHM
« Reply #6 on: Oct 30, 2009, 10:08 AM »
I use them all the time , I like the red color 3/0 -5/0 depends on the size of your bait.I also use them with a red wire leader.I tried the circle hooks could never get use to the hook sets.

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Nov 04, 2009, 02:44 PM »
All I use is the octopus hooks but not the circle hooks. I have yet to have a positive experience with circle hooks!

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
« Reply #8 on: Nov 17, 2009, 09:12 AM »
I use the Gama octopus single hooks for pike and walleye, but usually never go larger than size #1. That would be one size smaller than 1/0 (3,2,1,1/0, 2/0...). My hook percentage has to be 90%, I've been reading many articles on stingers, quick sets, etc. and I don't see all that effort paying off any more than the simple setup I use.  Single hook, braided line, and a splitshot. That's it. Simple, but effective.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2009, 09:59 AM »
I tried lardge circle hooks a few years back with little success.  Octopus hooks work much better.

Offline ferrari175

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 10, 2009, 06:57 PM »
ABSOLUTELY cheek out the vid of this beauty (who was released THANKS to the circle hook, the blood, all mine, and the scar, still there and yep it still herts a little, better than a nice mount on the wall  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3MJODaw42A[/youtube]];D

It is a PRIVILEGE to take any animals life not a right and that privilege comes with some responsibility a license to fish and hunt is a license to be a sportsman not a license to kill

Offline redbandit850

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2009, 07:50 AM »
def use octo hooks. they have always worked for me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.