Author Topic: Leader or no leader? jiggin  (Read 1048 times)

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
Leader or no leader? jiggin
« on: Dec 08, 2009, 10:49 AM »
Do you fish with a leader or no leader?  for what reasons?

I fish no leader and 6 lbs. test for walleye. Trying to decide what to setup my new MH rod I purchased to specifically target pike. I was thinking 10 lbs. ice line with no leader.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline doublehaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Doublehaul
Re: Leader or no leader? jiggin
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2009, 01:02 PM »
come to think of it, that might be pretty light. I'm going to be jigging larger chubby darers, lindy darters, and bigger pimples. I don't want to get snapped off when the fights on. Would a heavy flourocarbon leader limit lure action? I'm throwing around the idea of a braided mainline and 30 lbs. fouro leader.  Any suggestions? I searched the site over with most guys going with a flouro leader, but not many targetting pike. The only thing I'm questioning is what type of mainline and what weight of flouro for jigging presentation.
So many fish, so little time.

Offline bullhead bandit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2009, 01:28 PM »
I don't know if it's right or not, but I use 20# braid (6# dia. I think) without any leader.  Haven't lost any yet.  The line does get a little stiff, but it's not too bad as long as you've got a heavy jig.  I don't know if it works on bigger pike since I haven't caught any yet.

Offline big-brother

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • bring on the ice!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2009, 05:51 PM »
If i jig for Pike instead of using the tipups i always use #30-40 flouro for a leader.Will also rig a stinger hook on it using a short piece of flouro.Just don't be a lazy dumb azz like me and not change it if it does get a knick in it as it will cause you to possibly get bitten off.When will i finally learn my lesson on this?Cost me another couple of Piggy Pike on the weekend.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.