Author Topic: Loading snowmobile into ice hut ???  (Read 1850 times)

Offline BassDr

• IceShanty Rookie
Loading snowmobile into ice hut ???
« on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:21 AM »
Hello everybody,

This is my first post and im brand new to the sport this year! I have to say im in LOVE!
As an avid snowmobiler im always looking for another use for my toy other then speed and adrenaline!

I have a 6x12 landscape type trailer i move my snowmobile with. What i would like to do is a build a 5x10 ice hut with swing door/ramp door on the back. The idea would be load the shanty onto the trailer, then load the snowmobile into the shanty. This would serve double duty, being able to move both without upgrading to a bigger trailer and giving me an "enclosed " trailer for my sled. I would then pull the shanty onto the ice with my snowmobile. And ideally overnight in the shanty.

Has anybody done this ? Would love some feed back !

Thank you

Jesse

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Loading snowmobile into ice hut ???
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:29 AM »
Welcome aboard, sounds like a great idea.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline BassDr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:36 AM »
I might be getting ahead of myself but im thinking it would work with my quad in the summer as a little cabin for off road trips aswell!

sometimes my imagination is scary lol

Offline BassDr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:44 AM »
Exactly what i was thinking!
I'm also thinking about putting 2 barn doors on the back. That way one can stay latched close and the other act as your man door. I think this option would be lighter. But i still have to have some kind of ramp to make the it into the shanty... 

Offline burgerunh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:50 AM »
You could build a "man door" into the ramp!

Offline BassDr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2019, 09:59 AM »
Thats actually brilliant!

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2019, 10:04 AM »
I would go with a barn door as has been described.  One has to assume you already have the means to load the snow machine onto the trailer, so no need to duplicate what you already have.  Also no need to build the ice shack door strong enough (think weight) to handle the weight of the snowmobile .  A short ramp between the end of the trailer and the shack is all you need.
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline BassDr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2019, 10:13 AM »
Yes and back to the weight we are !
As im pulling this with a snowmobile and i don't tow with a big V8 truck the weight is 100% a factor. Plus part of my goal is how light can i make this thing!

So do i go with convenience and build a ramp/door wall but give up some weight or keep it light and use a small ramp to load.

All in all im glad to see everybody thinks this is a good idea and not to redneck :P

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2019, 01:06 PM »
Welcome to IceShanty, as you have seen, there is a lot of info and advice.   You should put your location in your profile so any of us that are out on the ice in your area may view this new shanty.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2019, 01:38 PM »
I would just turn the trailer into a hardside (unless you use it for hauling other thins in the off season).  Instead of building a separate house with runners, etc that you will have to drag on and off the trailer-you will be able to put the machine in the trailer/hardside, take it out on the lake, drop the trailer from the truck, hook up trailer to machine, haul out to spot.  Same in reverse for the way in.  Seems easier than pulling around a hardside that you have to unload and load.  Much easier to just drop the trailer and hook up IMO.

Offline BassDr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2019, 02:16 PM »
Hey Pike King, i see where your coming from and definitely thought about this option, even installing some drop/winch axles to get right onto the ice. You nailed it on the head though, i would like to use the trailer for other stuff ( dump runs,renovations,quad trips). Also i tow with a V6 Hyundai Santa Fe so having the light open deck for random projects is nice. AND I would like the option to leave the shanty on the ice for an extender period of time if the occasion presents it self. This would allow me to still tow my sled home on the open deck.

Offline Pescatore

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2019, 04:48 PM »
Welcom
The days are long but the years are short.

Offline Pescatore

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2019, 04:51 PM »
Oops wrong post
The days are long but the years are short.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2019, 05:43 PM »
Definitely doable, ive seen them with barn style doors and using ramps to load wheeler. For snowmobile a third ramp be needed or like someone else mentioned a flip down ramp.
Also good dry place to store your sled.
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline Royalwapiti

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2019, 07:49 PM »
I do what you want with my ATV in a trailer.  I load ATV into trailer/ice house.  When I get to lake I unload ATV and use it to pull trailer/ice house onto lake.  Lower it and fish.  Dak Shack  If your sled has reverse this would work for you.  Mine is 6x10 but they made 12 and even 14 footers.  Hard to find, no longer made.

You can't get the fruit if you don't go out on the limb.

Offline BassDr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2019, 01:38 PM »
Awesome advice here. Thank you everybody for your input.
I will be posting pictures as my project progresses.
Jesse

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Mar 16, 2019, 08:45 PM »
BassDr if weight is such a concern to you, wind resistance from your hut on the trailer will also be a factor.
A V front on the hut will help.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.