Author Topic: Must have equipment and accessories for an ice shack?  (Read 2610 times)

Offline Timmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
Hello all,

After 25+ years of portable fish houses, I pulled the trigger on a used 17' Ice Castle.  It's an RV model so it has all  the comforts for sleeping and cooking food.  It was historically used as a year around camper and the only ice fishing functions it has are the holes in the floors and rattle reels over each hole.  I will only be using it for ice fishing, and want to configure it as such.  What are the must haves and nice to haves? 

Some of my thoughts and questions:
- The shower is dead space for me.  I won't pull it out for resale reasons, but I want to fill the space.  I am thinking I will put in plastic shelves or an auger stand. 
- Rod holders on the wall or ceiling
- There isn't much for drawers.  Maybe some trays attached to the walls for hooks, jigs, spoons, clippers, etc
- Are ice hole sleeves recommended?
- Do you recommend wheel well skirts?

Thanks!
Timmer
Most of the tools, some of the skills!

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Must have equipment and accessories for an ice shack?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2022, 07:29 PM »
Shower becomes bait tank?  :)

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2022, 07:43 PM »
A solid bong! ;D
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline fishinator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2022, 07:55 PM »
A solid bong! ;D
make sure you dump the water out if you leave it in an unheated shack overnight!
Dude.....Dude!! Greg! Wake up! You're on fire!

Offline Skywagon

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2022, 06:18 AM »
I like the sleeves they help keep the cold out, use them in both my permanent shacks.  Send pictures so we can get an idea of hole configuration.

Offline Timmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2023, 05:06 PM »
Well, I have spent WAY to much already!  Here's the purchases.

My wife - TV and wall mount, DVD player, toaster oven, small frying pan, small crock pot, towel rack, paper towel holder, bedding.  Apparently she is thinking about sleeping and eating..what do those have to do with fishing?   

Me - Much more important stuff!
- Dog bed that fit the shower.  Good spot for my furry family member.  It doesn't use up the vertical space though.  Further thoughts welcome.
- Rod holder rack.  I tried to use command strips to hold it to the ceiling, but it wouldn't stay.  I ended up screwing it to one wall. 
- Trays for hooks, jigs, spoons, clippers, etc - put them in the space above the wheel well on one side.
- Glow sleeves and clear covers
- Flashlight
- A 20v drill, ICnuts winch adapter kit
- Snap ring pliers for taking the ICnuts off if I need to go back to manual crank
- 2x4 for setting house on, cut into 5 pieces
- Mallet for removing said 2x4's if they get iced in
- 30amp power adapter and extension cord so I can use my generator
- New rattle reel line
- And of course, additional tackle as I have the ice fishing bug!

Anything I'm missing?  I'm still considering wheel skirts.  I have that on my potential wish list.

Timmer

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2023, 06:05 PM »
For just ice fishing, you should've looked at one of the smaller houses, especially since you won't need the AC either. A smaller castle will be easier to move and get out on thinner ice.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2023, 06:25 PM »
You may want to join the Ice Castle Owner's Group on FB. People ask this same question all the time. Also, you have a problem while on a lake, likely someone else in a IC is on the lake and can assist.
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Timmer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2023, 08:01 PM »
For just ice fishing, you should've looked at one of the smaller houses, especially since you won't need the AC either. A smaller castle will be easier to move and get out on thinner ice.

Yes, I was aware it wasn't a perfect fit but I got a good deal.  I figure if I have time to ice fish more I will likely trade for a model that suits me better. 
Timmer

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2023, 08:39 PM »
Definitely get hole sleeves. The trick to them is to drill your hole first, then put the sleeve down, which creates a good seal. Even if you bank the house with snow, you are likely to get a little draft, and your holes will freeze quite easily. The sleeves help a lot. I never saw any point to wheel skirts. Maybe they make more sense if you leave the house out there for extended periods of time. I don't recommend that you do, especially in your location. Fish house theft is huge in your area.
-Tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.