Author Topic: Bait tank filter  (Read 676 times)

Offline mt.redneck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Bait tank filter
« on: Jan 12, 2023, 04:39 PM »
Wanting to build a long term minnow storage tank for at home. I have a pump already and an idea how I'm going to go about it but what do you guys use for a filter set up?
safe ice, tight lines and god bless!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Bait tank filter
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2023, 05:04 PM »
I run a cascade canister filter 80 gph,and pump.it through a 1/4 hp chiller set to 40 degrees, I use a 55 gallon drum wrapped with insulation,  I have a pump on the bottom valved off to  a drain, I also have water plumbed for top off and water changes..
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline Wildcats789

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2023, 10:17 AM »
I used a small plastic container and a small submersible pond pump.  Drilled holes in the bottom of the container and filled with lava rock, plastic scrubber and duct vent filters.  Pump water up into plastic container setting on expanded metal over the top of tank.  I put activated charcoal in panty hose in the container to help control smell.  I use this for my outside tank spring through fall for keeping bait fish alive.

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2023, 11:05 AM »
I have a 5 gal bucket (mounted higher than the tank) with inlet on top and outlet on bottom.  I use pillow batting followed by plastic/foam scrunchie pot scrubber thingies followed by lava rocks for the filter media.  60 gal plastic drum on it's side for the tank, 100 gph pool pump, and large Petco aerator with bubble wand.  All mechanics in an insulated "Pump House".

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2023, 11:21 PM »
Back when you could actually buy bait worth keeping in my area, I used to keep them in one of those plastic storage totes, 18 gallon I think. I ran a basic aquarium tank filter that would make the water acceptable for about 2 days, then I would have to refill with new water. I used a bulkhead style spigot and a hose right into the drain, then a hose off the faucet to refill. I think part of the equasion is we are generally trying to keep more fish in a tank than a normal aquarium would, so we need much bigger filters than normal. A filter that normally works fine on a 15-20 gallon aquarium is not nearly enough for a bait tank.

I really wish I had this problem now. I haven't found sucker minnows over 4" long for sale in years. :'(
-Tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.