The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ok guys. Burning question.  (Read 2099 times)

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ok guys. Burning question.
« on: Mar 01, 2022, 05:33 PM »
This post has nothing to do with ice fishing, so first I apologize for that. 

Many of us on this forum are avid hunters.  None of us want to be deaf from enjoying the the things we love.    Out of all the states that allow people to own firearm suppressors, only 2 states do not allow them for hunting.  Vermont is one of those 2 states.   I believe we need to show support and get that law changed asap. 

Any thoughts folks?
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline Bob G.

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Ok guys. Burning question.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2022, 05:54 PM »
I’m surprised we can even get suppressors. I get the impression that our governor wants to make Vermont like other states even though most issues here are caused by people coming here from other states.

I agree that we should show support for the suppressor law and repeal the laws that were passed a few years ago.

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2022, 05:13 AM »
I just feel that we should have the option to use them in the woods. Investing in a big bore air rifle just to have a quiet-ish alternative to my bow for big game is a rather large niche investment.   

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2022, 10:28 AM »
The problem is that our law makers think suppressors are like they see in the movies, where a gun is suddenly silent.  They must think this will lead to poaching or something.  The thing is, suppressors are NOT silent.  They will definitely help with our hearing loss but a guy a couple hundred yards away will still hear your shot. 

At least this is my understanding from 2nd hand information.  A buddy of mine went through the process to get one for his .22.  It took 11 months to get approved.  When he got it, he was surprised how much noise he got from High Velocity .22's.  It helped, but it's not silent.  I've never heard a deer rifle with one .... but I'd like to try it.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2022, 10:48 AM »
In CT and both my sons have stamps for suppressors.

They really only do anything with sub sonic rounds. Anything over that is nothing but show, barely any noise is suppressed with higher velocity rounds.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline FishTherapy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2022, 03:36 PM »
I think everyone should have to learn gun safety and have the chance to use one. Should be a class in school. Would help alot of these lawmakers realize the importance of guns and help them make knowledgeable decisions.

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2022, 05:22 PM »
How many of you guys would sign a petition (if there ever was one) to legalize suppressors for hunting purposes, in our state?  I have zero political involvement btw, im not tryna spam the board. I just want to see a movement started, in  the right direction.

Offline FishTherapy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2022, 06:01 PM »
Sure why not.

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
« Reply #8 on: Mar 02, 2022, 07:53 PM »
Crossbows are pretty quiet
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2022, 08:23 PM »
Crossbows are pretty quiet
Crossbows are great. I hunted with an Excalibur micro axe 340 for a season.  Harvested a respectable doe. It was great. BUT for me it lacked the thrill of a vertical bow.  I've taken  deer with a crossbow, as stated, as well as several with a compound and one with a stick bow.     Archery equipment is not what I'm worried about. I just  wanna shoot my guns at game,  WHEN APPROPRIATE , and have a little less muzzle blast.  In the meantime ill wear my electronic muffs, despite how annoying they are.

I'm just trying to stir the pot and get people  thinking.   Something like 46 states allow ownership of suppressors. Only 2 of those states do not allow them for hunting. We are one of them.  I'd like that to change, and I doubt I'm alone.

Offline Crayfish2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 04, 2022, 01:59 PM »
I would definitely sign a petition.  Would love to see them legalized for hunting.

Also, my buddy found the same as kpd145.  Sub-sonic .22's were quieter than his pellet gun.

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 04, 2022, 06:19 PM »
I would definitely sign a petition.  Would love to see them legalized for hunting.

Also, my buddy found the same as kpd145.  Sub-sonic .22's were quieter than his pellet gun.
  I believe it. A 950fps 22 short out of a 24" barrel, with NO suppressor is down right comfy to plink with  ;D    so I can only assume a suppressed subsonic is probly quieter than operating the action.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.