New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Ice Fishing Air BnB's / Rental Cabins  (Read 3341 times)

Offline jeremywhorf

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ice Fishing Air BnB's / Rental Cabins
« on: Jan 24, 2024, 09:08 PM »
Looking to plan a trip with my girlfriend and got the OK to do some ice fishing during our trip
let's  hear everyone's recommendations and Air BnB's / Cabin rentals with ice fishing access!
We live in 518 area code but are willing to travel a couple of hours if something piques our interest.

Thanks and look forward to hearing everyone's input.
Jeremy
Let your life proceed by its own designs
Nothing to tell now
Let the words be yours, I'm done with mine

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Ice Fishing Air BnB's / Rental Cabins
« Reply #1 on: Jan 25, 2024, 06:54 AM »
So you have to find the air bnb and got the "ok" to fish.  Sounds like new gf time to me!

Offline BeenPerchin315

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yes. There will be ice and I will fish it.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 25, 2024, 07:18 AM »
So you have to find the air bnb and got the "ok" to fish.  Sounds like new gf time to me!
That’s funny. Lol
Disclaimer:
I make statements based on my experiences in the location I fished only. Check ice conditions for yourself.
Stay safe. Tight lines.

Offline UofLCARDS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2024, 08:27 AM »
I recommend you think long and hard before you get engaged and married .....or soon you won't be ice fishing at all.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2024, 08:55 AM »
Davenports has a place he rents right on the bay right by his bait shop easy bay access
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 25, 2024, 10:38 AM »
I looked at a few airbnb in and around Schroon lake area.  Some looked decent but your going to be on average of $300-400 per night.  Really not reasonable unless there's enough ppl to share.
Most of the cabins in that area are really rustic and dated .

Food for thought :
If you steelhead fish and possibly if sandy pond is frozen,  the tailwater lodge in Altmar is pretty sweet,  especially for the gf. I just send the wife to the spa or pool and I'm free for the day .
We always eat at Altmar hotel rather than the lodge.
Good luck
Weekdays are pretty reasonable.

Offline SchrnLker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 25, 2024, 11:27 AM »
Rowe's  north of town has nice cabins, my nephew and his buddies stayed there and it was reasonable.  Not on the lake however.  The new Lodge at Schroon, (former Word of Life Inn) overlooks the lake.  Chalets have all been renovated.
Tony

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 25, 2024, 11:40 AM »
I looked at a few airbnb in and around Schroon lake area.  Some looked decent but your going to be on average of $300-400 per night.  Really not reasonable unless there's enough ppl to share.

Food for thought :
If you steelhead fish and possibly if sandy pond is frozen,  the tailwater lodge in Altmar is pretty sweet,  especially for the gf. I just send the wife to the spa or pool and I'm free for the day .
Good luck

If you go that route get the chicken parm at the Altmar Hotel.  You could prob eat it for dinner, and lunch the next 2 days.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 25, 2024, 12:18 PM »
Rowe's  north of town has nice cabins, my nephew and his buddies stayed there and it was reasonable.  Not on the lake however.  The new Lodge at Schroon, (former Word of Life Inn) overlooks the lake.  Chalets have all been renovated.

Stayed there in August.  Wasnt great, wasnt terrible either.  Good use of the old campus.  Old lady Hochul was proud of it.

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 25, 2024, 12:41 PM »
If you go that route get the chicken parm at the Altmar Hotel.  You could prob eat it for dinner, and lunch the next 2 days.

Meatloaf and mashed potatoes also
👍

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 25, 2024, 01:49 PM »

Food for thought :
Good luck

About the same distance in the opposite direction is the Redfield Reservoir, Walleyes, Rainbows, the occasional Brookie, and panfish.  Or, if you go to Sandy, the Huckleberry in Lacona has the best food we've found up there.

Offline jeremywhorf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2024, 02:09 PM »
HA. I appreciate the responses, I will check let me out later.

This isn't a new girlfriend, but Ice fishing will be new to her!  we have only went one other time, she like to show up after the shack is up with the heat on.
Honestly, I don't blame her!

Look forward to checking out the suggestions.

Thanks

Nothing to tell now

Offline browndogscott

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2024, 06:16 AM »
The yellow perch on Chaumont bay. Its right on Point Salubrious with direct access to the ice

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 26, 2024, 08:02 AM »
I'm going to withdraw that recommendation for the Salmon River (Redfield) reservoir.  I ran some searches, DEC indicates the fishing season doesn't start until May, and there is no page here for it, but there are older ones, leading me to suspect that the Mods pulled the page.  Depending on the winter, there could be many drawdowns which could negatively affect ice integrity. Also, that area of the Tug Hill gets beaucoup snow, and people indicated that often, no really good ice forms because of that.  With the closeness of Oneida, and Sandy Pond, no need to take the chances fishing Redfield would involve.

Offline tj_cubin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2024, 06:37 AM »
Good luck
The one time i went to Tailwater overnight we were not impressed with the restaurant. Overpriced for what it was, EXCEPT for the scallops. I still think about those scallops and it was probably 10 years ago.  ;D

Offline crappyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • no, it's not spelled wrong, I'm just not any good
« Reply #15 on: Jan 30, 2024, 12:17 AM »
Lucky is correct- Redfield can be very dangerous due to ever changing condition- you need to be able to read ice well to fish there safely

Offline crappyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • no, it's not spelled wrong, I'm just not any good
« Reply #16 on: Jan 30, 2024, 12:18 AM »
Saranac Lake offers many Airbnb rentals and is in the midst of a large number of lakes- Stop at the Blue Line and grab your bait and ask- they are helpful.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Jan 30, 2024, 10:00 AM »
I hesitate to post this but I love the owner.  Right next to the general store at schroon there's an air bnb that I use 5-8 times a year, winter and summer.  Lady named Maureen owns it and is one of the best hosts Ive ever encountered.  Her place is flawless and if you are fishing with a group its nice to have 2 full bathrooms to clean up in.  Proximity to the lake is perfect, easy to park a boat in her driveway.  Not the cheapest but its worth it.

Offline jeremywhorf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 30, 2024, 06:38 PM »
I pulled the trigger on an Air Bnb on Loon Lake the first weekend in March.
I have my fingers cross that the ice will still be fishable by then.

I am headed there Friday and have heard that there was roughly 8 inches of ice this past weekend with a bunch of water on top.

Thanks for all your ideas and assistance.
Nothing to tell now

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 30, 2024, 06:45 PM »

I am headed there Friday and have heard that there was roughly 8 inches of ice this past weekend with a bunch of water on top.

Good luck I wouldn't get on loon lake right now and ice will most likely be non existent early March. I fished a whole day down there and caught 1 perch
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline jeremywhorf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 30, 2024, 06:56 PM »
badBrad,

That doesn't sound promising.  How long ago did you fish Loon Lake?
I am looking to hopefully get lucky and get a walleye in the evening.
Nothing to tell now

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jan 30, 2024, 08:55 PM »
That place has been getting a lot of air time here which is surprising given its limited access and rather slow fishing.  Good luck on your trip.  Given the consistency of the ice and its thickness and the time of year it may be a tough go in March.  However it wouldnt be a super long ride to find better ice. 

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 31, 2024, 09:30 AM »
I'm going to wager that Jeremy is talking about Loon Lake in Chester, just north of Lake George, and Brad is talking about Loon Lake south of Wayland.

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 31, 2024, 10:26 AM »
I'm going to wager that Jeremy is talking about Loon Lake in Chester, just north of Lake George, and Brad is talking about Loon Lake south of Wayland.

You could be right this state and lakes with the same name

Offline fish-N-forage

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 31, 2024, 10:57 AM »
If loon fishing is slow and you want to change gears and try another walleye lake in the area you could keep heading north to harris lake....I can't say ive naiked them there but have had a 3 walleye day there once and trolled a 20" last summer.....some really nice nice pumpkinseeds in there too...bring laker gear for schroon lake as a backup plan. Good luck!

Offline jeremywhorf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 31, 2024, 03:21 PM »
Thanks for the advice.
 I will keep Harris lake in mind, especially since I have never fished it.  Thoroughly enjoy exploring new bodies of water (especially with Walleye)!

I am familiar with Schroon,  Last weekend produced a small Laker and a dozen perch.

Not sure where I am headed this weekend, but most likely somewhere in that vicinity.
Solid enough ice up that way.

Thanks again

Jeremy
Nothing to tell now

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 31, 2024, 04:36 PM »
It might be a tough go on most larger waters like Loon and bigger by March.  Unfortunately this isn't the best of ice seasons for most of them..
I used to stay at O.P. Frederick on Loon and fished it often until about 3 years ago.  It's OK fishing.
I can't predict what's going to happen in a month but if there's ice still available on some smaller waters very nearby that I've fished in December,  I'll give you some info.

I'll be trying my hand at Schroon for the first time this season on Saturday.  Maybe we'll share water. 
If you make the Loon trip, the Black bear is a must . Kinda like Altmar hotel of the Adirondacks

Offline Iceman1899

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Jan 31, 2024, 05:28 PM »
It might be a tough go on most larger waters like Loon and bigger by March.  Unfortunately this isn't the best of ice seasons for most of them..
I used to stay at O.P. Frederick on Loon and fished it often until about 3 years ago.  It's OK fishing.
I can't predict what's going to happen in a month but if there's ice still available on some smaller waters very nearby that I've fished in December,  I'll give you some info.

I'll be trying my hand at Schroon for the first time this season on Saturday.  Maybe we'll share water. 
If you make the Loon trip, the Black bear is a must . Kinda like Altmar hotel of the Adirondacks

Sometimes that’s just as much fun as the actual fishing is! I know I’ll be bellied up at the blue heron in chaumont the  last weekend of February..with or without ice 😁

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 12, 2024, 03:40 PM »

I fished Loon lake yesterday and everything was still good.  8" ice, Shoreline was fine and many atv's out.
Fishing was decent. 

If the cold comes back,  I think you're in business.
I might make it back there again before your trip

Offline jeremywhorf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 12, 2024, 05:56 PM »
I made it there this weekend and there was 8 - 9 inches with a steady perch bite.
I was also pleasantly surprised at the size of the large mouth bass in Loon Lake.

Still no contact with walleye, but some of the perch fillets were almost big enough to be mistaken for a 15 inch keeper walleye.

Has anybody caught a walleye out of here?  It appears that they are few and far between.  Hopefully, the Air BnB will provide access to some new water that holds walleye.
I am going to try a couple deep holes I found on Navionics.

Nothing to tell now

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.