The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Houghton Lake Ice Report  (Read 19314 times)

Offline dachmation

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Houghton Lake Ice Report
« Reply #30 on: Jan 18, 2007, 01:08 PM »
I was out this Morning on North shore...3" to 5". Other then that  I got skunked.

Mike

windy and snowin lightly, ice was nice clear and black

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Jan 18, 2007, 03:05 PM »
how much snow is on the lake...I drivin 3 hours for just one day tomorrow and wanna make sure i am gonna be able to enjoy myself...lol

Offline tommy-n

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 18, 2007, 03:10 PM »
I was up there yesterday, there is 3-5 inches of ice and about 4 inches of snow on it. The water was cloudy off the south shore boat ramp and the fishing sucked.

Offline Gary Piotrowski

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 18, 2007, 03:35 PM »
is there good access and parking close to the lake i want to try it out  and if there is can someone please tell me where
      i have read alot about this lake and would love to give it a try i am on foot with all my equipment so it helps to get on close to where you can find fish

Thanks  Gary

Offline X95RICHARDS7

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 18, 2007, 06:16 PM »
Access to the lake is easy whichever side of the lake you choose.  Most of the streets leading down to the lake have access and parking right at the shoreline.  If you are on foot, you might want to stick to the south side along m-55 for a shorter walk to some the weed beds.  Last year we were catching some nice blue gill & pike about a half mile east of Lymans just of the shoreline.

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Jan 18, 2007, 06:52 PM »
I called Lymans today and they said that perch, walleye and pike have been bein caught over the past 3 days...
ill prolly end up going out right at Lymans

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Jan 19, 2007, 05:28 PM »
Hope to find a place out of the way of everyone, where all the fish have been chased too :D :D :D
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 19, 2007, 07:35 PM »
well.....

Gas there and back: $96

Bait, Cooler, License, Bait Bucket: 42.85

Getting there to find out its windy as he!! and 2-3 inches thick and getting skunked....PRICELESS!!!

Well...the day started off wonderful...on the way there forgot to throw all my buckets into the back of my truck...then while I am making sure that everyone one else had thier licenses I just so happened to remember that mine was sittin here right in my desk all day...ok no big deal...go buy a $5 bucket and get my license...get to walmart, find out the buckets...BUCKETS are 8.99...so0o we figure the 12.99 cooler was a much better investment...but then forgot about bait...wasnt goingto put the bait in the cooler soo...ended up having to buy a 9 dollar Minnow bucket...get to Lymans...says yea people have been out there for 3 days now and there is 4-6 inches of ice...ok cool...got everything...we can relax now...25 feet out the snow looks a bit wet on top...but what the heck...we'll give it a shot anyways...get out there drill our holes to find out we are sitting on top of 3 inches of ice...ok welll we will just sit still and be careful....then the wind kicked in...wow...thought we were gonna go parasailing...hah and i forgot to mention that my buddy...first time ice fisherman bought a tip-up...set it all up...came inside the shanty for a bit...looked outside and SOMEHOW it disappeared...so he was pretty mad about that whole situation...wel after about fishing for 3 hours with not seeing anything on the camera or getting any flags...we decide to try somewhere else...after driving around the entire lake and stopping at the east bay DNR launch we talked with the "Bud Man" and he told us to go to Four Seasons party store and talk to dave...well we did and he told us a few good spots...oh yea we arrived in houghton at 8 AM....and drove around for about an hour before we met dave....well back to the story...we ended up going to Harveys Marina where within 1.5 hours we saw a bunch of perch and lost a pike...

Other than that I love my new cam and the Marcum LX-I works great...

Theres my Houghton Report...

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #38 on: Jan 19, 2007, 07:37 PM »
oh yea and after cleaning up at Lymans it was sunny for a while and it was cracking EVERYWHERE walked on the way in...pretty scary if you ask me...

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 19, 2007, 07:45 PM »
BUT.......the bottom line is,  you got out there and made it back dry!!!!!!   
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Jan 19, 2007, 08:17 PM »
Tommyboy:

Make sure you write that all down in your fishing log so on the days you can't get out you have some humor to read :)
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 19, 2007, 08:18 PM »
haha ok i will do that...but yea your right...it was niceto get out and use the new equipment...and it was nice to make it home dry...

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 19, 2007, 08:22 PM »
and...I talked to a few guys that I swore I saw on here before...but i forgot to ask thier names...so if the guys that were also at Harveys reads this...it was me...lol

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Jan 19, 2007, 08:30 PM »
So Much exciting stuff happend to me today I keep remembering things...I dropped my first item down the hole...brand new lazy-man tape measure the electric one that has a button on it...dont ask me why i had it out there..got it for xmas and the numbers are big so if i caught that monster pike to win the tourney...but anyways was able to fish it out thanks tothe new cam...so i guess i shoulda took a pic of it and prolly coulda won the misc. category...i believe its a 30'

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 19, 2007, 08:31 PM »
3"of ice thats popping and cracking as you are walking in..= pucker factor of 10...

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Jan 19, 2007, 09:02 PM »
expecially since it wasnt doin it til on the way back...was a feeling i never want again...

Offline FullTmeDad

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Back in Michigan!
« Reply #46 on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:47 PM »
I took this photo just after Tommyboy told his friend he forgot the gear...

FTD

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #47 on: Jan 20, 2007, 09:48 PM »
LOL...... :D

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 20, 2007, 10:34 PM »
lol you must been the ONE other Shanty that was out there....lol

Offline HiRanger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigin' My Stix in 2007! St. Helen Iceman
« Reply #49 on: Jan 20, 2007, 10:59 PM »
I took this photo just after Tommyboy told his friend he forgot the gear...
(Image removed from quote.)
FTD

Thats a good one.
Zymurgy's First Law of Evolving Systems Dynamics
Once you open a can of worms, the only way to recan them is to use a larger can.

We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. Never Be The First To Get Old!!!!!

Offline Tommyboy18769

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Jan 21, 2007, 11:20 PM »

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.