Author Topic: Safety warning!!  (Read 2082 times)

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Safety warning!!
« on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:32 PM »
For anyone thinking about running a snowmobile/ATV on the the ice right now, I would advise against it. Watched a guy go in tonight around the corner from the boat ramp on Big Turkey Lake. Luckily he was in about waist deep water and was able to get out about the time we got to him with rope to help.
Feel free to share this post to help keep others save.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Safety warning!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:50 PM »
Not a fun way to end an outing!
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Eye_Crosser86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:53 PM »
Blows my mind someone would attempt this, we havent had that good of ice to even contemplate that, at least not for me

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:01 PM »
Not a fun way to end an outing!

The guy on the sled wasn’t fishing he was just out riding with 2 younger girls that were on another sled. Lucky they were not right behind him when he went in.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:01 PM »
Scary! Great you were there with a rope to help the guy!!

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:04 PM »
Scary! Great you were there with a rope to help the guy!!

Just happened to be in the right place at the right time. Do Need to get a new rope now left half of mine tied to his skis.

Offline TennesseeFreeze

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:07 PM »
Wow, He got lucky. Were they the only people out there running snowmobile?

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:11 PM »
Wow, He got lucky. Were they the only people out there running snowmobile?

Ya they were the only ones we seen. There was tracks where someone had a quad out a couple of days ago.

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:13 PM »
Nice job bud!! Always nice to be in the right spot at the right time :)

Offline Slabhunter136

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:43 AM »
Was this to the left or to the right around the corner from the ramp? I am assuming its through the narrow off the ramp, and then to the left? I have a buddy and his kids that fish there, and if this snow gets put on tomorrow that spot will not be very safe this weekend and they will not be able to see it.
Just thought I would ask.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2018, 05:50 AM »
Gets a lot of people on that lake. Someone should put some brush to mark that spot like spear shack holes in michigan.
Glad everyone was ok.
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:10 AM »
seen a guy running a sled on a lake in angola monday. crazy! 

was fishing story lake one night and had a 78 bronco come out on the ice.  they were drunk laughing and tossing out cans.  there was 6" or so where i was that time too!  it was cracking like mad.  they went out around the island and back off and away they went.  they were lucky it didnt spin out and stop i think.  i was hoping that wasnt gona turn into a rescue situation because i was into them.  ;D
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2018, 12:18 PM »
Was this to the left or to the right around the corner from the ramp? I am assuming its through the narrow off the ramp, and then to the left? I have a buddy and his kids that fish there, and if this snow gets put on tomorrow that spot will not be very safe this weekend and they will not be able to see it.

This was if you go right out of the ramp and go into the next little cove it was to the north east side of that cove between 2 of the  pencil reed stands. Just out from that little strip island that separates the coat from the main lake. It’s in about this area.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2018, 01:42 PM »

I'm thinking if we get heavy snow it will bring up the water and make it obvious that something is not safe there.  ???
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline walleye wil

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2018, 07:24 PM »
I agree with taxi, with all the snow we are suppose to get I would be worried about any snow machine on the ice right now.
cant see where ice might go from 6 inches to 2 inches in certain places. dont take a chance right now, to much snow coming tonight and tomorrow and sat to take a chance !!!!!!!! be smart and check the ice!!!! not worth it with ice machines. wait til we have better ice.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2018, 08:36 PM »
3 guys on 1 quad tonight on Sylvan.  It appears like someone also plowed a landing strip on the lake.  Couldn't tell if they had landed a plane on it or not.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.