Author Topic: Maxi Ice Reports?  (Read 2134 times)

Offline Richwon4

• IceShanty Rookie
Maxi Ice Reports?
« on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:13 AM »
I don't do great on Maxi but I sure like to fish it. 
Does anyone have an ice report from the past few days? 
Thanks I appreciate it. 

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Maxi Ice Reports?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2018, 12:11 PM »
I guess I will take the bait and reply after a ton of views and no replies only b/c I would be worried about the ice conditions with all of this snow weight. I was out Sat from 7am until 4pm. The ice seemed to get better the further out I went. Me and a buddy did spud the whole way out and for the most part I felt confident. Most of the time it took 3 good whacks to go through. The ice felt and looked ok but was filled with lots of air bubbles. Had to hop a little bit of water to get on but ice was 3" close to shore and 5-6" as you went out a bit. Sat was the first round of snow but also when the cold kicked in so I am not sure what it has done since then. I just thought I could provide some info that might help someone out.

Offline Richwon4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2018, 01:28 PM »
I appreciate your information.  I will likely not be winning any popularity contests on here.  A few weeks back a member actually respected the other members on this site enough and out of the kindness of his heart actually plowed Maxi to a few  good spots so guys would not have to pull across snow.  I am sure he is a stand up guy.  There was also some talk and railing on other guys for being specific in catch reports.  Well....Things have turned a bit quite on here since then.  A few nay sayers shut those guys up.  As if there are not enough fish out there for the small amount of ice fisherman.  I believe I am going to open up on this and let people know anything they might care to know. 

Everyone consider this an invitation to fellow sportsmen helping as brothers...PM me...my mouth will not be stilled by a few more negatively inclined few. 

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2018, 01:48 PM »
I appreciate your information.  I will likely not be winning any popularity contests on here.  A few weeks back a member actually respected the other members on this site enough and out of the kindness of his heart actually plowed Maxi to a few  good spots so guys would not have to pull across snow.  I am sure he is a stand up guy.  There was also some talk and railing on other guys for being specific in catch reports.  Well....Things have turned a bit quite on here since then.  A few nay sayers shut those guys up.  As if there are not enough fish out there for the small amount of ice fisherman.  I believe I am going to open up on this and let people know anything they might care to know. 

Everyone consider this an invitation to fellow sportsmen helping as brothers...PM me...my mouth will not be stilled by a few more negatively inclined few.

I do not really want to be part of another thread like that. Some people keep hush or make a stink b/c they don't want company. Some people hush up or make a stink b/c they worry about the safety of others. I am used to it at this point. Its the same banter year after year. It just happens to be part of ice fishing around here with limited water and always changing ice condidtions. I have seen the same thing happen on message boards for lakes that are gigantic where people couldn't fish the same water if they tried even with GPS coords.

I only responded b/c I felt like people could use my info to compare to current conditions. If someone heads out there and finds 5 inches only then that is the same amount of ice that I found in a lot of places possibly indicating it has not made any ice due to the snow despite the lower temps. If someone goes out and finds 6 or 7 then they know it has added ice.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 07, 2018, 01:51 PM »
In my area it has made very little ice, with the snow cover we have, with more on the way

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #5 on: Feb 07, 2018, 06:09 PM »
I found plenty of ice doing my recon mission today on max. Only ONE shack on the entire lake, 300yds from dnr ramp. The edges were iffy on east and north side. But only a few yards...  the ramp  was not iffy at the edge. Everywhere i checked, there was 5 to 7 out past the iffy short edges. The farther out i went, the ice got thicker. It is Not 100%clear hard ice, as Tscheid said there is bubbles in the ice, but it is also not  bad ice. Only twice did i spud an area that didnt graduate in thickness as i went further out. I also found 10in of ice in alot of places. I DID NOT spud the entire lake so use your own judgement. There are springs, there is surely weaker ice and thinner spots. Spud your way, take the time to drill, utilize safety, dont go alone, tell someone where your going, take your ice piks or life jackets.  There was 4 to 5 inches of snownon the lake with more to come. Tight lines...

Offline Richwon4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:21 PM »
Good Report....if it were not for the snow we have and the snow we are getting we would be a few days away from machines.   Thanks you

Offline wallin

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 07, 2018, 07:51 PM »
Nice report guys.
Thanks for sharing.
Tom

Offline tschneid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 07, 2018, 08:17 PM »
I found plenty of ice doing my recon mission today on max. Only ONE shack on the entire lake, 300yds from dnr ramp. The edges were iffy on east and north side. But only a few yards...  the ramp  was not iffy at the edge. Everywhere i checked, there was 5 to 7 out past the iffy short edges. The farther out i went, the ice got thicker. It is Not 100%clear hard ice, as Tscheid said there is bubbles in the ice, but it is also not  bad ice. Only twice did i spud an area that didnt graduate in thickness as i went further out. I also found 10in of ice in alot of places. I DID NOT spud the entire lake so use your own judgement. There are springs, there is surely weaker ice and thinner spots. Spud your way, take the time to drill, utilize safety, dont go alone, tell someone where your going, take your ice piks or life jackets.  There was 4 to 5 inches of snownon the lake with more to come. Tight lines...

Glad to hear you got out for a little recon mission and even better to hear about the ice. Gotta keep an eye on snow amounts. A guy I follow on FB for weather says this storm will have a very sharp cut off to the south where closer to lake michigan is in that 8-12 range. Lets hope culver is just far enough south to not get blasted

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2018, 10:10 PM »
Culver may get 3 to 8in prediction by friday afternoon according to NOAA...i hope for once they are wrong.  Max is normally past the cutoff line for lake effect but this is a system snow coming. Crossin fingas...

Offline dualjigger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "eyes, for to see"!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2018, 09:09 AM »
Thanks for the report. Very helpful bro!

Offline Richwon4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2018, 11:33 AM »
Looks like I will be headed there tomorrow.  Always a fair opportunity at some whopper pan fish there.  Odd thing last year I sight fished perch and crappie together in 20' of water about 8-9' down.  I was bored with no bite so I was messing around looking down the holes and all of a sudden I start seeing fish.  They would take in my minnows so gently I could not detect the bite.  It was only when I saw them suck the minnow into there mouth completely undetectable on the rod that I would set the hook.  It was a lot of fun for 1/2 hour then done. 

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2018, 08:16 AM »
Got the normal ass whuppin Max provides,  8hrs fishin, Alot of marks in and out, and No fish. 5 inches of snow on ice, and 7 to 11 inches of ice. Ice is Hard but bubbles in it. Drilled very nice, no chunks. Edges where we got on was fine even with the atv, 2 men and ALL the gear.  Felt comfortable  anywhere we went. But we also spudded every 100yds to be sure. Totaled 6in of snow here in south laporte so far and snowin hard. Only a dusting so far at winimac towards culver but they Will get more..... STILL, USE precautions and all safety gear. The temps have warmed and the snow is heavy on the ice.

Offline bev

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 09, 2018, 10:23 AM »
thanks for the heads up

Offline bottom bouncer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2018, 03:41 PM »
Great report Derslayer. Tx
Being retired is turning into hard work!

Offline djzamo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2018, 05:29 PM »
Thanks for the report slayer.

Offline Richwon4

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2018, 10:49 PM »
Did well on Max this morning/ afternoon....3# Large Mouth and 3
Almost 3# Walleye.  Odd that no Crappie or perch would bite.  Both fish came in 19'  of water.  One on Erie Deary tipped with minnow and the other on plaNE old hook and minnow with a bobber.  I moved into 9' of water later in the day and had several leary perch and one massive walleye looking real hard at my bait bUT they never hit it.  At that point I was sight fishing them. 

Offline Iceman junkie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 10, 2018, 10:28 AM »
Anyone hittin Maxi today. Did it get a bunch more snow last night? Gettin ready to head over there and fish into dark a couple hours.

Offline OMIGHTY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2018, 09:28 PM »
How's this lake holding up? Did Culver get alot of snow? Anyone know or would like to share your views of the lake? Every lake in my area is wet with a foot of slush on it. I'd appreciate any updates, Cheers!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.