Author Topic: Fish Scout Trap  (Read 5278 times)

Offline JiggerPa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Fish Scout Trap
« on: Dec 15, 2003, 07:19 PM »
 Anyone purchasing a Fish trap Scout will save themselves some grief if they install some type of runners on the sled. The bottom of mine wore right through in two places after one season of use. I got a couple track guides from a Yamaha dealer and they just fit. I also lowered the bottom pole so the wind and snow won't blow in so much. This was after much finagling around trying to get connections to fit.

Offline Bob_G

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • crappie nut
Re:Fish Scout Trap
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2003, 07:45 PM »
 Jigger, I just put mine together and I installed the wear strips. I hope that will take care of any problems. I hope I get to use it this year, the way that it is going I'm not so sure. :-\

icefisher18

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16, 2003, 09:02 AM »
Bob G. & Jigger, Old Man here.  Something that worked for me on the Scout,  it 's  probably to late for Jigger
but Bob G. may want to try. I was told by a friend who had the scout to armour all the bottom every 2nd or
3rd time out depending on if your pulling on ice only or snow covered ice. Had my trap for 2 years now and
no problems with wearing the bottom out, and believe me I use it hard. Armour all makes a difference
when pulling in the snow. Just an idea that works for me. Good luck guys. This Old Man.

Offline JiggerPa

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2003, 09:12 AM »
Old Man
Thats a great idea for ice and snow. What iu'm talking about though is dragging it across gravel and macadam before you get on the ice.

icefisher18

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2003, 10:23 AM »
Jigger, since most of the places I fish are private I guess I'am pretty fortunate not having to deal with pulling
on gravel or macadam, but your idea is great & will pass on to other trap owners. This Old Man.    

Offline sleddog50

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2003, 07:12 PM »
I carry a can of silicone spray in my trap, Then all you have to do is pick up one side and spray bottom. Makes a big difference in snow.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2003, 07:27 PM »
It's a good idea to put some type of runner on the bottom.asphalt will eat that bottom up in a few years.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline PackEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hit it!!! Smash it!!! Crush it!!!!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 30, 2003, 11:17 PM »
I just bought one a Wal-mart and it's going back. Missing parts. The HT reel I bought last year fell apart after one day too. Junk. You shouldn't have to spray them or install parts. JUNK. Never again.

Adam.

Offline g3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • life is good!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 31, 2003, 03:35 AM »
 ???bought one at gander mt. in harrisburg,same thing mising some parts and too many of other parts,called gander mt.waste of time,then i called clam corp. and e-mailed them too,they sent me the parts out right away.now all i need is ice.!!

Offline ComplexSimon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Looking for the clear and solid stuff...
« Reply #9 on: Dec 31, 2003, 09:05 AM »
I've been considering this unit for the past 2 years, and am finally ready to decide on an ice hut/tent/shelter in general.  I'm fairly certain I'm going to get the Fish Scout Trap, but I have 2 questions regarding it that I can't seem to find answers to from clam corp's website.

(1) Where do you store the minnow bucket while in transit?

and

(2) Is there space inside the flip top, when it is over the fisherman, to have a small propane heater running?

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated :)

Each frozen wasteland holds a gem, the successful ice angler is 95% patient & 5% crazy!

icefisher18

« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2003, 09:31 AM »
Complex, I have the scout, if you mount your seat rails to one side instead of the middle their is plenty of
room for minnow bucket, etc. I don't  use  a heater, but  I did have a sterno in it one time and warmed up
nicely. I love my scout. Hope this helps. This Old Man.

Empty Stringer

« Reply #11 on: Jan 08, 2004, 03:00 PM »
I've been considering this unit for the past 2 years, and am finally ready to decide on an ice hut/tent/shelter in general.  I'm fairly certain I'm going to get the Fish Scout Trap, but I have 2 questions regarding it that I can't seem to find answers to from clam corp's website.

(1) Where do you store the minnow bucket while in transit?

and

(2) Is there space inside the flip top, when it is over the fisherman, to have a small propane heater running?

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated :)
 I also have a Scout and mounted the seat rails in the middle. The minnow buckets I use fit along side very well, I use a Dyna-Glow heater (Looks like the new Mr. Heater) and only need to use it on occasion to take the chill off. As someone else said, I also found the need to bend the bottom bar with a tubeing bender to keep the wind from blowing under it. I have found that if you use the hut as a wind-break you should set up with the wind at your back (no brainer) and if you are going to close the lid so to speak, you should set up with the wind in your face. Sounds funny but try it and you will be able to tell the difference right away. I am selling this hut which also has the optional travel cover which sells for $44.00 at Gander Mountain. I am asking $200.00. I have 2 other huts both 2 man. Seems I can't get out of the house without either the wife or atleast one of the son-in-laws anymore.  This hut was used about 6 times last season and I hate to just have it take up space in the garage. I am in the Erie area. Let me know if your interested and we can work things out from there. To close, I must say that the Scout is a fine hut and if I did not need the 2 man, I would not be selling it. Thanks Blaine.....

I also agree with the use of silicone every trip. At 34 pounds for the hut plus gear. It pulls with two fingers.

Offline PackEyes

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hit it!!! Smash it!!! Crush it!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2004, 12:30 PM »
I ended up with the Fish Trap Pro. I used it in 4" of snow on the Pack yesterday and it's a b***h to pull. I"m going to buy some spray silicone and try that. I hope it works. The new Fish Trap Pros have the seat mounted in the middle, I'm going to switch it around to the side.

That is a very good idea to bend the furthest bar so the wind won't get in. The new ones have a tendency to tip over too because they are mounting the bars on the front and not on the back.

Packeyes

swim fisher

Re: Fish Scout Trap
« Reply #13 on: Feb 17, 2004, 06:28 PM »
I have just bought a new trap scout at gander in  scranton on sale for 140.00, that was some money well spent, they still had 7 left for anyone intersted. Two of my buds already own them and their bottoms were also starting to wear alittle thin on the scouts so they drilled some holes and added snow skies. you can pull them all day if you wanted too. " Hope this info helps"    FISH ON.

Offline Fishbreath

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2004, 05:13 PM »
I picked one up today, my old one is 8 years old. I paid 149. One other 1 went out while I was there. 2 left but 1 had a name on it.
My wife is a widow during ice season.
ice shanty #53
VBA #299
retirement is't all its cracked up to be.................... ............its better

Offline jigerjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 21, 2004, 06:04 PM »
Bet your heading to the Pack tomorrow arent you ???
Always keep your line wet!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.