Author Topic: coroplast shack and Menards storage shed  (Read 118251 times)

Offline miket.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ICE IS NICE
Re: coroplast shack
« Reply #120 on: Mar 10, 2009, 06:47 AM »
good idea mainehazmt!
hard core fanatic  Http:
http://timeanddate.com/s/1a9j

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #121 on: Mar 10, 2009, 03:14 PM »
nice Shack Mainedog but..... way too pink inside for my taste 8)
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #122 on: Mar 10, 2009, 06:17 PM »
nice Shack Mainedog but..... way too pink inside for my taste 8)

Hadn't even thought about it.  Next time, I will use blue polystyrene.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #123 on: Mar 10, 2009, 06:24 PM »
BLUE   OR    PINK
Tastes like RockBass<br />                                             \"Official Horticulturalist of the NYRC\"

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #124 on: Apr 07, 2009, 03:05 PM »
very nice cant believe noone has bought this yet! :tipup:
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #125 on: Apr 07, 2009, 04:20 PM »
end of season....kind of out of the way location...I'll put it in storage in a couple weeks, and then
come Fall, I'll either decide to keep it or the price will increase...

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #126 on: Apr 07, 2009, 04:52 PM »
you could use it to keep your bait cool this summer. ;)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #127 on: Oct 03, 2009, 06:16 PM »
Well I think this concludes the coroplast shack thread.
I sold the coroplast shack this evening. A bittersweet goodby to the old coroplast shack.
It was a great shack.

MD

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #128 on: Oct 06, 2009, 06:22 AM »
Well I think this concludes the coroplast shack thread.
I sold the coroplast shack this evening. A bittersweet goodby to the old coroplast shack.
It was a great shack.

MD

time to start building
another!
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Oct 24, 2009, 10:06 PM »
Great shack, if you don't mind could you answer a couple of questions?  How did you set up the floor with the beams and cross supports?  How much does this weight?  And my last question is how thin of ice can it go on?  I would greatly appreciate answers to any of these questions.  Thanks

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #130 on: Oct 25, 2009, 07:29 PM »
Great shack, if you don't mind could you answer a couple of questions?  How did you set up the floor with the beams and cross supports?  How much does this weight?  And my last question is how thin of ice can it go on?  I would greatly appreciate answers to any of these questions.  Thanks

Thanks for your interest Zack.
If you look at the pictures of the very start of this thread, it shows the 2x3 cross supports and the 2x4 runners.  The 2x3's were on their flat sides, notched into the 2x4's.  The plywood floor was screwed into the runners and the 2x3s.

Not shown, and really not mentioned, I used some angle steel as a backing plate for the eye-bolts used to tow.

I estimate the weight around 125-150lbs (empty).

As a personal rule, I never fish on anything less than 6 inches of good ice, which should be more than enough to support me, my gear and the shack.  And even then I check the ice often because where I fish, there are springs and currents, and the thickness varies.  Because I don't get out until late in the season (Jan 1 or later), the ice where I fish is usually much thicker than 6".  Check the ice safety charts to determine your level of comfort (and plan accordingly--life vest, picks, rope, buddy system, IDI gear, etc).

MD

Offline [email protected]

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #131 on: Oct 25, 2009, 08:59 PM »
Thanks for your interest Zack.
If you look at the pictures of the very start of this thread, it shows the 2x3 cross supports and the 2x4 runners.  The 2x3's were on their flat sides, notched into the 2x4's.  The plywood floor was screwed into the runners and the 2x3s.

Not shown, and really not mentioned, I used some angle steel as a backing plate for the eye-bolts used to tow.

I estimate the weight around 125-150lbs (empty).

As a personal rule, I never fish on anything less than 6 inches of good ice, which should be more than enough to support me, my gear and the shack.  And even then I check the ice often because where I fish, there are springs and currents, and the thickness varies.  Because I don't get out until late in the season (Jan 1 or later), the ice where I fish is usually much thicker than 6".  Check the ice safety charts to determine your level of comfort (and plan accordingly--life vest, picks, rope, buddy system, IDI gear, etc).

MD
Thanks for all of the info, I'm thinking of making my own and yours seam like what I had in mind.  I don't usually go out on more than 6 inches of ice either.  I only go out if it is thick enough for a snowmobile because of all of my stuff and how far out I usually go.  Again thanks for all of the info about the shanty, it really helps.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #132 on: Oct 27, 2009, 08:41 PM »
Had an old familiar friend poking around on the mountain, looking for the old white coroplast shack the other night. 

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #133 on: Nov 08, 2009, 06:31 PM »
Look closely at the dates of this one and the previous one.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #134 on: Dec 07, 2009, 10:30 PM »
Not this year.  I've been "collecting" materials the past several years for the next one.
So far I have enough sheet aluminum to build probably 2 6x8's, as well as enough lightweight
aluminum I-beam for the framing for two.  I just can't decide on whether to  sit it directly on
the ice, or build it on a drop down trailer frame.  I've also been wondering how glue the aluminum
to the polystyrene sheets...to make a panel of aluminum/polystyrene/aluminum.

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #135 on: Jan 12, 2010, 11:05 AM »
Look closely at the dates of this one and the previous one.

(Image removed from quote.)

Must have thought you had a shack for sale ;)

I think that guy bought some stuff from me off of Craigs list ;D

Nice pics!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #136 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:21 PM »
Must have thought you had a shack for sale ;)

I think that guy bought some stuff from me off of Craigs list ;D

Nice pics!

The white coroplast was sold last Thanksgiving to--of all folks--a US board patrol agent.  SO if you see the old white coroplast out on a frozen international waterway between the US and Canada,  assume there's ice fishing going on, but you'd better mind your P's and Q's.....He at least talked like he wanted to ice fish, but it was clear he was just a beginner, or at least that was his "cover" story.

MD

Offline MACHINIST

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Jan 13, 2010, 07:28 AM »
Did he make you retrofit some shooting ports in the side for him?!!!

Offline jimmyclaude

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I Have Trouts!!!
« Reply #138 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:06 AM »
I think The Canadian Walleye are smuggling illegal bait over the border

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #139 on: Jan 13, 2010, 04:38 PM »
I think The Canadian Walleye are smuggling illegal bait over the border

I think it would have been a perfect way to watch for illegal border crossing via snowmobile/atv.
There are several large water bodies that have the international border running down the middle.
I know during open water, it is a very big no no to set foot on land in Canada without first going
through one of the custom checkpoints (~16miles away).....whereas the Canadian shore is less than
a mile away in some places.....

We always wave at the border patrol when they fly by in their helicopters and planes.  Makes us
feel real safe  ;)

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #140 on: Oct 04, 2010, 09:37 PM »
Hey, Dog,  Anymore plans for Coroplast Shack II?
Maybe you could make it fold up like Michianna.

BW

No Bushwacka.  No immediate plans for building a new hardside, but sometime in the future.
If I do build one, it will probably be solid, ie. not fold up.  That way I don't have to load/unload
all my gear every time I move it.

A familiar friend was nosing around where I used to store my hardsides recently.

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #141 on: Oct 04, 2010, 10:32 PM »
That is awsome. I wish we had more Moose around here. They are starting to get a good population around here in western Ma. Maybe someday we will have a Moose season. I saw a few last year riding the wheeler on a dirt road. They scared the crap out of me. They were huge...
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #142 on: Dec 13, 2010, 09:57 AM »
That is awsome. I wish we had more Moose around here. They are starting to get a good population around here in western Ma. Maybe someday we will have a Moose season. I saw a few last year riding the wheeler on a dirt road. They scared the crap out of me. They were huge...
only reason we have a moose season is due to fatalities  and state gets $$ bucks for the lottery   >:(

I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #143 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:29 AM »
Yes somebody did mention that about the coroplast in another thread...It was me. I mainly said it would not hold up well if you do not take precautions especially when storing it, and also when trailering it.

Now remember one of the tips I gave to make the coroplast last longer was to keep it out of the elements when possible, like during the summer. In this thread, reply #63, Mainedog stated "I think I will put a tarp over it to keep the sun off it during off season.", and #88 "I will store it off season, like I did last year, with a tarp over it, out in a field away from the lake.". Then reply #127 "I sold the coroplast shack this evening.". Total time of using it was 2 seasons if I added correctly. Both times it was covered and out of the elements during the summer months. Rarely was it trailered, with the only exception that it was pulled across the lake via snowmobile. So yeah with the precautions that Mainedog had used for summer storage, and lack of transporting it from lake to lake, it should have lasted for him. As long as the new current owner takes the same precautions, it should last for a few more years at the least.

Like I stated in that other thread "take a plastic bottle and let it sit outside in the sun and everything nature can throw at it. It gets brittle.". By taking basically the same precautions that Maine has taken, it WILL last longer than that plastic bottle left out in the elements. The summer sun does a number on plastic material such as bottles and coroplast. That is also why you do not see billboards made with it and usually only those election signs are made with it since they are not in the elements for very long.

Offline MainelyCrappie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #144 on: Jan 09, 2011, 07:34 AM »
Nice Shack!!! Chloroplast is great weighing in at 4lbs per 4x8 sheet.

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #145 on: Jan 09, 2011, 10:26 AM »
MattR you are a careful reader!  I sold the shack at the start of the third season and it was still going strong.
The 1/2" x 1/2" pine frame with the foam glue inside the sections really gave the frame support.  The only role
the coroplast really served was to provide an exterior covering. 

FYI, the 4'x8' sheets I bought from G.E. Plastics (I think) and they did have some UV inhibitor in them, but I
still covered it during off seasons with a tarp.  I also painted the roof black.  That helped keep the snow/ice
off.

If I were to build another shack, I might use it to finish off the interior (see blackhawk's spearing shack!).

I always wanted to build an Ontario style tarp flip up with pony walls, or maybe my next one will be painted
luan, or maybe aluminum sheeting, or maybe aluminum on a trailer, or.....

MD

Offline MattR

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #146 on: Jan 09, 2011, 04:35 PM »
Hi Maine, I am actually in the sign industry and own my own sign shop. Have a good knowledge regarding the coroplast. As you can guess, I have seen some strange uses for it too. The ice shanty you made with it was a nice design. As you know, what helped it last the weather the way it did was to minimize how much the weather could affect it. Tarping it during the non-ice fishing months greatly helped out. The UV inhibitor will help delay the weather's affects, yet the tarp did most of the protection. Honestly there was not a single thing I could have recommended to you that you already did not do to make it last. Most people should take care of their things like you do.

On a shack design. I was actually thinking of alum trim coil, since I have a bunch here. Vinyl graphics would adhere to it very well so I could have a nice looking shack. If I ever get that far, pics will be posted in a new thread.

Nice work on that coroplast shack, looking forward to seeing whatever you build next.

Matt

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #147 on: Feb 21, 2011, 09:18 AM »
Nice setup!

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline chuckster26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #148 on: Feb 21, 2011, 10:30 AM »
this is what i used to do with coroplast!
this stuff is very versatile

http://spadtothebone.com/index.htm

any other spadders here???
Always remember. Wherever you go, There you Are!!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #149 on: Feb 21, 2011, 06:01 PM »
Yes, Chuckster26, I did run across the airplane uses of coroplast when I was looking into painting it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.